I Don't Want Another Rookie QB

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by TurkJetFan, Jan 13, 2015.

1. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

I just don't this year. From Sanchez to Geno to ?. How many more rookie high propensity for bust QBs can we endure? There are no big prospects in the draft this year and I just don't see how we can endure another Geno season or rookie QB season littered with rookie mistakes. I'm not saying don't draft one but I will be FURIOUS if we have Geno and a rookie battling it out for the starting gig. Bring in a rookie sure, but let it be known he is not the starter entering the season.

Veteran, Geno, Rookie, in that order.

Am I alone is wanting to make a trade for a QB or sign a vet to hold the fort?

I know people are on the fence on Cutler, and I get his cap figure is large but really I would love to bring him in here. I get his cap hit is big, but jeez we have the cap room and if we are going to put heavy cap $$ toward anything let it be the QB position! Even Matt Schaub who probably will be cut. Any veteran at this point.

I believe Cutler needs to leave Chicago badly. I think he would be good here and give us some stability. I don't view last season as Jay Cutler, I think it was a year of a team wide abortion from top to bottom.

Cutler anyone else??

NYJetsO12 and Red Menace like this.
  2. thatisjetsfootball

thatisjetsfootball Active Member

I'd sign on a cheap (3rd rounder + player) for Cutler.

And would love to see Sam Bradford.
    But in the end I agree don't want to see another rookie...

FlaJet and 4jetfans like this.
  3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Even if you don't think this year was Jay Cutler... what about the first 7 years of his career? The guy is the Carmelo Anthony of the NFL. He'll put up sexy yardage numbers but what does he have to show for it? He's played with elite level talent the past two years and hasn't done dick with it. He stinks, and he gets paid a ton, and he's going to be 32. I don't think there's a worse fit out there for the Jets.

I'd rather take a shot on Bradford, draft Hundley, trade a 5th or 6th for Mettenberger, gauge the market for McCoy/Cousins or shit... stick with Geno! Cutler is not the answer to any question other than "who led the league in turnovers this year and also has the highest salary?"

JetBlue and NYJFOREVER like this.
  4. jetlife21

jetlife21 Well-Known Member

Get ready for more Geno

5. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Gotta keep picking them until you find someone. As long as its not a huge reach, I want to see the Jets pick a QB in an appropriate early round for the rest of my life until we hit on somebody who's good.

6. APK 8

APK 8 Well-Known Member

Any reason why you think Cutler would do well here? There is no evidence to suggest Cutler will be any more than he is right now - mediocre to poor. His attitude sucks, he is not a leader and his teammates do not respect him. Those qualities are intangibles that cannot be taught or learned. You either are a leader or you're not. Maybe in Madden he can turn around but not in real life New York.

7. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

What the Jets need is leadership that has the balls to draft someone like Mariotta and not start them immediately / demand immediate results. The pressure of this market affects decision making way too often.

If you were to say draft Mariotta and simultaneously acquire someone who could start until Mariotta is ready, that would be the perfect scenario.

Sanchez was thrown into the fire before he was ready, as was Geno. The problem was as much with the people handling those quarterbacks as it was those quarterbacks.

A shift in that philosophy would be greatly beneficial to the team.

Voyevoda117 and APK 8 like this.
  8. APK 8

APK 8 Well-Known Member

Agree with this but I'd take Winston over Mariotta and hope he matures as a person in the year he sits as an apprentice.

Red Menace likes this.
  9. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Sam Bradford-Geno Smith-Bryce Petty

10. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I like the mettenberger route, but it all depends on who is our OC, if we hire another OC that runs a WCO then no I don't want cutler, however if they hire shanahan, who likes to run the ball to set up play action then I would consider Cutler because he is not asked to be the focal point of the offense, but he would be more than a game manager.

The money issue would definitely have to be taken into consideration, but I can't take another year of Geno.

11. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

"The Light" finally came on for Philip Rivers this season. Maybe it will for Cutler too.

12. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I'd rather Geno Smith than Jay Cutler. why do people like Jay Cutler? he is just a tease, has all the ability but is too mentally weak to thrive at this level.

xxedge72x likes this.
  13. nyjunc

what light? the choking in the biggest game light? that has been on since day 1 for him. Cutler isn't half the QB Rivers is and Rivers is one of most overrated in the game.

14. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I wouldn't take Cutler if it involved giving up ANY sort of pick and him playing at his current salary. The only way I'd take him on is if he's cut and restructures to take half of what he's making, because that's realistically what he's worth. To me, riding it out with one more year of Geno is a far better option than giving up cap space and a pick (or multiple picks) for a 32 year old QB that has been a problem for two different franchises and hasn't been able to succeed with elite talent around him.

The big difference is that Rivers gives a shit. Cutler doesn't.

15. Cman68

You really don't like Cutler or Rivers huh... :)

He looked pretty good against us but then again, who didn't besides Tannenhill. For whatever reason, Cutler just hasn't lived up to his potential but I think under the right system, with the right QbC, he can salvage his career. A "game manager" with his arm strength could be a formidable weapon in a run heavy scheme. With that in mind, Buffalo might not be such a bad landing spot for him.

Big Blocker and Red Menace like this.
  16. nyjunc

Cutler always looks good against us for some reason but he has had playoff caliber talent around him his entire career and has one playoff app w/ one home playoff win against a 7-9 team.

APK 8 likes this.
  17. Cman68

Like I said, he hasn't lived up to his potential. Could be that all the systems he played in depended too much on his arm strength to get yardage? If you could imagine Cutler's throws being limited to say, 15-25 per game coupled with a Ryan style run heavy (GnP) offense, wouldn't that give opposing OC's reason to respect the pass which in turn, makes the GnP that much more effective?

I just think that Cutler, once stripped of his gunslinger ways, would be a pretty good option at Qb. Just asked to make the occasional throw and mostly let the Rb's carry the load. Tailor made for a Rex Ryan preferred offense.

18. nyjunc

he is in his 30s now, hard to get him to lose his gunslinger ways at this point.

19. Cman68

The old dog/new tricks issue? I'm pretty sure self-preservation would trump ego in this case if it was made clear to Cutler that the only way he stays in the league is to tone it down and learn to play within the offensive system his team prefers. Ya nevah kno, but you have to wonder if Cutler is indeed as blockheaded as he's made out to be. If he is, he's pretty much done.

20. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

We can get that kind of production from any cheap QB, even Geno. I don't see Cutler as a savoir for the Jets.

nyjunc likes this.