How would YOU handle the Jets Quarterback Situation in 2018?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Dec 7, 2017.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

The only way Luck become available is if he's damaged goods, no thanks. I seriously doubt the Giants would let Eli come to the Jets, and even then, he'd demand a lot of money and he's not worth it anymore. Cousins MIGHT be a possibility, but if they get him then I'd hope they would move heaven and earth to grab Barkley, and then a C/LT/Edge with the next 3 picks (assuming they haven't already filled those spots in FA). Maybe take a flyer on a :sleeper QB" in a later round.

Most likely scenario: Draft the highest rated QB they can get with their 1st pick, trading up if possible to get the best choice. Sign McCown to be backup/mentor; ket Petty and Hack duke it out in TC and keep the better option. Then draft C/LT/Edge with the next three picks.

2. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

So choice #1 is a seriously injured player who will have missed 26 of the last 48 games at seasons end.

Choice #2 is a 36 year old QB who got benched for Geno Smith and is having a so-so season if we are being generous

Choice #3 is a veteran QB that no one else wants, Tyrod being your example, he of the 175 YPG this year and a lifetime .500 record as a starter. And why would you want your rookie learning from a veteran who never really had what it takes?

FJF and ColoradoContrails like this.
  3. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I respect your opinion, but I do not agree that McNown will not start in 2018 if Bowles is coach. Bowles refuses to develop anyone for the future. If Bowles had his way in 2018, we would go with forte, mcnown, kerley, and our current disgrace of an OL.

4. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

McCown....

5. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Probably true. Luckily he is not GM.

tomdeb likes this.
  6. Longislandjetfan

Longislandjetfan Active Member

If the jets are going the route of veteran qb a guy I’d love them to bring in is Aj Mccarron. I think this guy has the makings to be a solid NFL qb. He played pretty good when he started for the bengals and would have won a playoff game 2 years ago if the bengals didn’t go full retard mode and blow the game against the steelers. This guy was a proven winner in college won Muiltple national championships. I think with our receivers plus a revamped offensive line and add in a brusing punishing running back Mccarron could help turn this thing around.

7. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

What kind of compensation are you willing to give up for him? They wanted a second and third round pick. Steep for a 5th round backup.

8. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

nick foles looked good today

9. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Wake me up when the Jets have their guy and he’s actually playing.

Though, I don’t want to get too hopeful, a FQB doesn’t guarantee playoff wins.

What’s Oakland’s excuse this year? What about “good” QBs like Stafford, Rivers, Luck, or any other NFL starter 15x better than anyone the Jets have had who haven’t won’t shit?

I’m not confident finding a FQB will even result in wins. Pathetic franchise.

abc and jets_fan like this.
  10. Oh it’s totally hopeless.patriots will win the next 20 Super Bowls count on it..

But jets love is a sickness of the soul.Its the only reason most of us even bother anymore.This is a team of losers..top to bottom..

if we’re stuck watching a hopeless operation that will never come close to matching the passion of their Fan base..we at least deserve some hope no matter how misguided it Maybe.

The building a super paper champ on D has actually made the team worse than they were beforehand & isn’t exciting in a score first league.

A FQB at least writes a new chapter somewhat of a clean slate in which to try to build things differently.And maybe just maybe a passing offense that is somewhat watchable

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  11. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Have an exorcism.

12. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Alright, as it stands right now, Cleveland has the 1st and 4th pick. We have to be rooting for Indy and Houston to jump in front of the Giants.

I'm thinking the Jets may be able to find a trade partner with one of them so we can take our QB.

Good news is, the Giants have some winnable games left (Arizona & Redskins).

Kinda of screwed because Indy and Houston play each other week 17.

It looks impossible to jump in front of Tampa, Chicago, and Cincinnati -- even if we lose out.

I think best case scenario, we are picking 7th.

#112 GQMartin, Dec 18, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
  13. GWjet

GWjet Well-Known Member

We really fucked ourself when we beat KC

14. Chappy13

Chappy13 Active Member

He can't even unseat Andy Dalton.

15. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

From a pure drama perspective, there would be a lot of "what will they do" intrigue if Cleveland ends up with the top 2 picks. Even if Indy beats Houston, I'm not sure that the SOS will change enough in Cleveland's favor.

16. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Exactly. I'm wondering if they want to turn that 2nd first round pick into more picks and if that's the case the Jets should make a strong offer to move up to take one of the remaining QB between Darnold and Rosen.

17. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I'd sign Cousins, with McCown being my fall back option.

Even with a FA signing I'd be interested in drafting a QB, depending how the board falls.
    We should be heavily scouting Allen, Rudolph, Mayfield, Jackson, Thorson, Falk and Stidham.
    Forget Rosen and Darnold. They aren't good enough to justify a massive trade up.

18. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

With the lack of quality QBs in the NFL, the Jets may have to massively trade up to land one of the QBs you named. I wouldn't want Rudolph, Thorson or Falk, and probably shouldn't want Allen, Jackson or Mayfield.

19. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I understand the need for a quality QB.
    Just don't believe that Rosen or Darnold are the type of players you risk a massive trade up for.

What have you seen from either guy to suggest they are head and shoulders better prospects than the rest?

I'm interested to see how Allen and Thorson grade out going forward, ie Senior Bowl, interview process, etc..
    Also cautiously interested in Mayfield, and maybe even Rudolph depending on his Senior Bowl.
    Draft is deep but not top heavy with blue chip prospects. They all have faults.

JohnnyP123456 likes this.
  20. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

ALL college players, including QBs, have faults. But if you take a guy and build around his strengths (instead of force fitting him into "your" system like the Jets do), you can minimize those faults.

As to Rosen, if you've watched him you should see why he's the consensus #1. There's him and then everyone else. He's got a great arm and quick release, and can make all the throws, It's hard to weigh, but he also plays on a team that's pretty weak, so whatever they've done it's been pretty much all Rosen.

But it's a moot point really unless the Jets can secure the #2 pick AND Cleveland does Cleveland and takes somebody else at #1.

Several of the "tier 2" guys might become FQBs, but they need to go to a place where the system fits them, and the CS works with them, and the GM puts the right talent around them. If the Jets retain Bowles, I don't know if any rookie QB could succeed here.

GQMartin and NCJetsfan like this.