How would YOU handle the Jets Quarterback Situation in 2018?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Dec 7, 2017.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Agree, except for Allen...too much of a question. There's a guy currently on the Jets who has great physical skills, but he still hasn't seen any live action after almost two years.

My three:

1. Rosen (won't be there at 4, but still, just in case).
    2. After Rosen it's unclear at this point who the best fit for them is, so I'll just say whomever between:
    • Baker Mayfield
    • Jarrett Stidham
    • Lamar Jackson
    • Sam Darnold (If he declares)
    I don;t think they'll necessarily have to trade up for any of these, but if Macc (or whomever the GM is) thinks one can be the future FQB, he should go all in and trade up to eliminate getting skunked.

NYJetsO12 and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  2. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Both years Cousins signed his tag the first couple of weeks in March, they tried working out long term deals which they had until July to do.
    If they try a tag and trade then Cousins has all the power and if he doesn't get an offer he likes he stays and plays for $30M but teams will know he is available, if they try transition tag then teams will know he is available, or of course if he becomes a FA teams will know he is available.
    Basically if Cousins is going to be available teams will know well before the draft.

FJF likes this.
  3. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

I think Lamar Jackson is going to prove alot of people wrong and agree with you. I was afraid Mariota would have injury issue and so far it looks that way.
    Rosen could prove better than Winston for sure but Darnold is no where near as NFL ready as Winston was entering the draft. He played a true pro style offense, maybe even more complicated than what alot of NFL teams actually run. He could read a defense, call adjustments , and go through his progressions. All will take alot of work and time for Darnold.
    There is talent in this draft , but no one who jumps out as being NFL ready of sure fire. Rosen is the closest. I just think that those suggesting trading up at all cost for anyone of the QBs are over reacting.

MoWilkBeast and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  4. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Ding ding ding.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  5. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Petty is gone so if you release Hack then we only have 2 QBs.

Hack is still under contract so you keep him on the roster as the 3rd QB.

6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I agree about Darnold, I think Winston was more pro ready as well coming out. I would only trade up for Rosen.

7. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

It's going to be an interesting off-season. Lots of FA QBs will be in play. Ultimately, I think that will determine if trading up is a possibility. Depending on where they land.

8. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

The Jets are screwed re: Darnold or Rosen if the top 3 order stays.

Cleveland learned its lesson trading out and missing Wentz, so they are going to stay put and take their guy.
    Giants will not trade out of the 2nd spot with the Jets.

We have to hope Indy or SF get the second pick and then we would need to make the best offer because there will be several teams trying to move up.

Also it critical the Jets lose out to get as close to the top 5 as possible to mitigate the trade up cost.

ColoradoContrails and NYJetsO12 like this.
  9. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Cleveland might take Mayfield 1 overall. Giants take Rosen, Jets could trade up and get Darnold ... stand pat for Jackson

10. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Rosen Daarnold Mayfield love the big 3 !! dont care if everybody else dissecting mechanics...grab the raw talent imo,,,sell three farms and 5 picks Mac...opportunity knocking!!!!

Stidham didnt impress me a heck of alot and I dont want lamar Jackson: When Michael Vick goes to great lengths in the media comparing himself to Jackson as his "clone" all I can think of is the hapless play at QB Vick nondelivered for the Jets when he got the starts,,,
    So imo If the Jets settle on Lamar Jackson you may as well say this team is going to the dogs..

11. GWjet

GWjet Well-Known Member

I throw money at Cousins the second you’re all lowed to talk to FAs.
    If he passes on use I’d offer the Browns the moon for the #1
    If all that fails resign Josh & draft another’s mid rounder

12. ColoradoContrails

It would be maddening, and so typical, if the Giants took Rosen away from the Jets.

13. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

From what I’m hearing, Giants are higher on Darnold. Of course all of this is irrelevant until they grab a GM and coach and then we can speculate on the type of QB they want.

At this point, as much as I want Rosen, I’m with you guys...if he’s gone, take one of the top QB and go all in.

Have to get OL help though because we cannot risk damaging their confidence. It would be Sanchez all over again.

That being said If we get Rosen or Cousins, I would be elated.

14. ColoradoContrails

I hope you're right about them liking Darnold more and that he comes out. And I agree that the OL has to be improved - at least two of the higher picks should go in that direction, after they grab the QB.

15. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Side note. This Denver win tonight over Colts would be a huge help for the Jets.

16. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

God help us if we take Lamar Jackson. He's not a franchise QB

Leicester Jet and JetsFan like this.
  17. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

Honestly, I would much rather the Jets stay put. Stay where they are picking and more than likely (not certain) get Baker Mayfield. I'll admit it. I'm sold on the guy. Even if Mac needs to trade up a bit to get him, it would be great. The height thing should mean nothing to Mac. Mayfield plays behind some pretty massive trees already and he's still a great QB.

From there, go OL with both of our 2nd rounders..........

18. GWjet

GWjet Well-Known Member

Im not sold on Mayfield. Not his off field stuff but the way he plays the game. He scrambles and runs around so much I’d be worried about his durability in the NFL.

Still wish we would have sucked for Sam

19. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

I'd move heaven and earth to get Andrew Luck in green and white.

If the Colts shut the door I'd offer the Giants a 3rd round pick for Eli then draft a QB in round 1 let him sit and learn for a couple of years until he's ready.

Failing that I'd get the best available veteran QB that doesn't require me to pay anywhere near the range of $25 million per year someone like Tyrod Taylor would be perfect then draft a QB in round 1 let him sit & learn for a couple of years.

20. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Why do you subscribe to the rot on the bench for a few years scenario for a new QB? We've already tried that and its failed every single time.

NCJetsfan likes this.