How would YOU handle the Jets Quarterback Situation in 2018?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Dec 7, 2017.

1. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

Draft one, Sign one & Keep one.

1) Keep whichever one of Hack/Petty the organization believe has more potential & cut the other.
    2) Draft, but don't reach for a QB. Trade-up is fine if it's for an elite prospect.
    3) Depending on the quality of the drafted prospect, sign either stop-gap or longer-term answer at QB. i.e. if you can trade up for Rosen, don't break the bank for Cousins. But if you can't get to the top of the draft, go nuts on a FA QB.

2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Really can’t do it that way because cousins will be signed long before anyone is talking draft trades.
    You have to go all in on getting cousins and shift gears if you miss.

Leicester Jet likes this.
  3. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

I would look at who the Jets like in the QB stakes in the draft and who they don't like - whomever they like the least - that is who I would draft

4. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

1). Check out the situation with all of the following Luck/Cousins/Bridgewater/Keenum (maybe more; not sure what other QB's will be available)
    2). Re-Sign McCown (but don't break the bank either)
    3). If none of the FA's from #1 pan out, draft either Josh (Rosen or Allen), or Baker.
    4). Petty/Hack compete for the final QB spot

LAJet likes this.
  5. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Take a shot of Pepto-Bismol and sleep it off. Why would the Jets consider Cutler next year when they didn't consider him this year?

6. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

Predicting the Jets will be drafting between 5-10 in the draft.
    1. Resign McCown for $6M on a one year contract. If he refuses, let him walk.
    2. Cut either Hack or Petty at the end of the season. Depends how Petty does, expecting 0-3.
    3. Draft a QB with the 1st pick, but do not trade up. (I want Mayfield if he is there at our pick.) If not, then trade back and pick up another pick and select Mason Rudolph in the end of the 1st round.

DO NOT spend $20-$25M on Cousins or any other QB veteran.

7. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

See if Petty or Hackenberg can play if not bring back McCown and draft the QB in the first round.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  8. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

As it stands, who are you trading with?
    What are you giving up for that pick, and most importantly, who are you taking?

stinkyB likes this.
  9. TonyFtLaud

Free agency is before the draft.
    If we wait until after the draft we end up with a Fitz/McCown type Jag.
    If we sign a QB in Free agency, Keenum, Bridgewater, Cousins. The draft priority changes.

10. TonyFtLaud

They did consider him. Tried to get him to come in to offer a contract but he was on vacation, signed McCown before he returned.

11. I’m trading up w San Fran at #4.Mac has made recent trades w them so there’s rapport/familiarity, they aren’t in the QB market,have a plethora of needs while perhaps looking to replenish the second rounder they gave up for garropolo.

I give:
    2018: 1st,2nd(higher of 2) 4th
    2019:1st,conditional 3rd That escalates to 2nd

I’m not convinced there’s a true front runner to go first w the QBs just yet. These are the 3 Id trade to #4 for in order of preference

1.Rosen
    2 Darnold
    3.Allen- bit of a reach but immense potential & fits morton’s scheme nicely

12. TonyFtLaud

Don't think that gets it done.
    Buffalo can offer 2 first a second and third this year and not miss a pick.
    Rosen is not going to be available at 4 .
    I'd be surprised if Darnold comes out, his draft stock will fall .
    Allen is very intriguing. I think he is better than his #s but he has accuracy issues, not a great fit for the WCO Morton runs.
    You say there's no front-runner, yet advocate trading our first, second and 4th this year, our first and 2nd or third next year for a project?
    Your still buying into last year's pre draft hype about this draft class. There is no Luck, Mariota, Winston in this class. Someone will surely surprise, but we don't have the benefit of hindsight on draft day. 4 premium picks and a 4th (still valuable) for a maybe is too much.
    And before anyone jumps in with, Mac misses on early picks anyway , you realize that if you support packaging a bunch of picks, your trusting him to hit big with one pick, vs hitting with 5.....

stinkyB likes this.
  13. I never bought the hype for this draft class bc the original hypes logic justified us passing on a QB in 17 yet again. Hype means absolutely nothing to me.Its all about evaluation & fit.Don’t mistake my lack of a front runner as a slight on the entire class.I like everyone of The 6-7 guys & don’t consider any of them inferior to Marriota at this time. Rather I think it’s a flavor preference & Of course there is a projection.I don’t think “project” and projection” are the same thing. I think this is a fantastic draft for QBs..best since 04 Maybe as far back as 82.Other than Eli & Elway does either of those classes have a consensus of where guys we’re gonna go?

If we can’t make Trade & cant get a QB to build around it’s an utter failure.Id rather give up the picks than have to see one more season of 35-39. Year old journeyman behind Center.If Buffalo assets end up being the undoing mac gets fired.He could’ve taken the same strategy to make SURE we’d have the necessary firepower to fetch what we need.Instead we’ll draft an edge,corner or OT.None Of those things have me watching jets football next year & maybe beyond. If they screw this up & come out of the 2018 w no QB I will not watch until this GM & HC are removed perhaps longer if the regime that replaces them takes a similar approach w QBs.

#73 KurtTheJetsFan, Dec 13, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2017
  14. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I like what you are putting down here Tony, just my opinion however ... Lamar Jackson is better then Marcus Mariota, and I think Rosen is better then Winston. Darnold, I would say maybe on par with Winston maybe not as good in terms of going through reads. Both turnover prone, but very confident in their arms.

Depending on how you trade up, I would do it for Rosen, no doubt in my mind but the price has to be right.

15. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

McCown's injury should throw away any fan's thoughts of bringing him back as a QB1 next year. That is good, though I do feel bad for him. I think he would be a good QB2. I wonder what he will decide this off-season? Pretty sure it will be Jets or Retire.

As for Petty, he gets his 3 game audition now. If he does well, he can make the 2018 roster. If he falls flat on his face, doubt he is on the team next year.

Hackenberg is a 2nd round pick who they won't let see the field while he watches 4th Round pick Dak Prescott dominate the league. Pretty embarrassing.

So the In-House Jets QB's don't look great to me for 2018. We will see, but likely a 1st Round rookie QB or different vet will be under center Week 1!

16. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

NO!! What has any of these guys done to make you think they can carry a team? Mayfield or Rudolph are the better polished guys.

I am so glad so many people think like you, that way Rosen and Darnold should be off the board so we can get a real QB. Aren't people tired of USC QBs?

17. Well for one all 3 play in a pro style offense. Secondly all 3 are just as physically gifted as mayfield & Rudolph.

I’m with you about USC QBs.But Sanchez & Darnold have nothing in common than their college team.While I wish Darnold played w Alittle less of a supporting cast his talent,command & it factor are incomparable.

Really I don’t care which of the high end QBs they take as long as the value be it trade or staying put is reasonable. It’s just a matter of preference..thev3 I listed are who I like.Just one opinion

18. rickjet

rickjet Well-Known Member

Cousins situation with Skins didn't get settled until July of 2016, if they butt heads again, resolution may take
    the same length of time this off-season, which would put Cousins out of the FA market...

19. rickjet

rickjet Well-Known Member

SF will be at 3 or #4....

Cleve will definitely take a QB at #1 (new GM can't mess this up)

NY Giants (2-10) finish with Phil @Arizona and Washington, so unless they steal a win, they are #2, No way they trade with Jets

So Rosen and Darnold will most-likely be gone......so trading up to 3/4 is pricey and might be a reach....

20. Yeah I know that sf at 4 isn’t a sure bet..I Just was going off the current draft order as of today.

It’s certainly very possible that browns & giants go QB 1 & 2.

However Browns have avoided taking a QB top 5 time & time again.They always seem to have 2 first rounders & take the QB w the second pick.It may not mean anything at this stage but food for thought..

Meanwhile the giants took Davis Webb 3rd round & has issues all over the entire roster.People talk about our OL being bad off..Imagine Rosen playing behind that disaster?? I could easily see the giants trading down for picks or even shocking everyone & taking an OT..

Giants & the browns are 2 of the most unpredictable teams in any given draft..almost always throw everyone for a curve.