How would YOU handle the Jets Quarterback Situation in 2018?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Dec 7, 2017.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

And if that QB busts and then Luck leads his next team to a SB, they'd look like fools. I don't think that they'd even consider doing that if Luck is fully healthy, unless there are other off field issues we aren't aware of.

#41 NCJetsfan, Dec 8, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
    ColoradoContrails likes this.
  2. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I don’t think Luck will be available but if he is it doesn’t automatically mean he isn’t healthy and will never be the same, that will be up to the world class doctors to figure out. There seems to be a lot of bad blood building between the Colts and Luck and while I don’t think a divorce is imminent as of this offseason it wouldn’t shock me if it happens sooner rather than later. Plus Irsay is is batshit crazy and nothing he does should shock anyone.

It would be a hell of a lot worse to find out he is available and not waste the time than it would be to waste the time to find out he is not available.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Well if Irsay is as crazy as you say, and there is bad blood there, then it would be worth checking into at least, but the Jets would need to have several doctors examine him and all give him a complete bill of health, before they even pull the trigger on such a trade.

4. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

One thing is for sure. It's going to be an exciting off season knowing that the Jets are going to be addressing the most important position on the field in a real way with a top draft pick and/or via FA. Let's just hope Mac and team have a real plan in place.

The Dark Knight and FJF like this.
  5. There’s been bad vibes there for awhile it seems. Of course it’s plausible the Colts simply hang on to their asset.But Irsay is a crazy dude who I think has been disappointed w Luck thus far in his career;Rightly or wrongly. Meanwhile Luck seems to be put off by the lack of protection from his OL & Might be ready to be out of Peyton’s shadow.

As for who’d they’d replace him w?Well they already traded for Jacoby Brisset who they like,they’ll have a top 10 pick along w whatever else they’d get in a trade of luck.In arguably the best QB draft since 04, this would be the time to get out from underneath Luck w a high ceiling replacement if they wanted to go that route.

Just a hunch..but I think he gets traded if healthy & if not he either gets released and/or retires. The comments Irsay has made no matter how wacky he is,are not ones made about your franchise QB.I expect the jets to be in play..and maybe Mac gets it done.But this has Mike Tannenbaum written all over it.He loves gamechanging trades,hates counting on the draft for any position & loves a story that goes full circle;This can be sold in the media as the make up to the fatal Brees era

TonyFtLaud and ColoradoContrails like this.
  6. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yep. Hopefully they have about 10 plans in place but are able to go with whatever their Plan A is! :)

JetsNation06 likes this.
  7. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

I just had a thought and I almost threw up in my mouth.
    Even if Cutler has a decent finish to the season, there's NO WAY the Jets give him a look next year --- right???
    Somebody -- please tell me I'm right.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  8. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Fire Bowles
    Cut Moe
    Move up and draft one of the big 3
    Draft offense including line all draft long

ColoradoContrails and NYJetsO12 like this.
  9. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

First I'd look at Kirk Cousins to see if he's going to free agent and if he is I would go ahead and try to get him. You can build around him and if you provide him with solid weapons which we have and also an o-line (we'll have to address this through fa and the draft) and we can start winning and competing.

If Kirk Cousins isn't available we can kick the tires on Teddy Bridgewater but he has yet to play this season and after that gruesome leg injury who knows what he is - this is not my favorite option and I would be more inclined to just draft a QB.

Draft a QB - I fully expect the jets to lose out now that McCown isn't starting and I think that would put us at the 5th or 6th spot. With this in mind, I expect rosen and darnold to be off the board by then but I do believe Mayfield will be available and I do believe the recent buzz about his stock rising. Jets won't need to trade up for him either if we get the 5th or 6th pick.

Mayfield is not from a pro system but if you pick that high there will be expectation that he start. In that regard do not rush him. I would say we may bring back McCown as a backup and hope Mayfield develops in time to start from day 1 but who knows how quick his progression will be.

10. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

We won't need to move up if we finish with 3 straight losses. Would put us in a position to get Mayfield (Rosen and Darnold are going 1 and 2 if they both come out).

11. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

The top options are Cousins, Darnold, and Rosen (throw Luck in there if you are a real dreamer). Assuming those three players are not available I think you go to war with McCown, Hackenberg, and a draft pick (dump Petty).

I’d be hesitant on wasting a first or second round pick on any QB in this draft not named Josh Rosen or Sam Darnold. The Jets have holes all over the roster and shouldn’t be wasting any premium picks on shot in the dark QBs.

tbruner12 likes this.
  12. RIPJimLeonhard

RIPJimLeonhard Well-Known Member

Draft Baker Mayfield.

13. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

If it were up to me I'd first try to trade up for Rosen/Darnold if they declare. If that's not an option and Mayfield/Jackson isn't available when we pick, then I'm all about signing Teddy Bridgewater. I'm okay keeping McCown as a mentor, but no more old over the hill stop gaps, please.

14. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

If the Jets don't draft a qb in the first round in 2018, they whole staff needs to be fired.

ColoradoContrails and NYJetsO12 like this.
  15. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

How can someone make a definitive statement like that not knowing where the draft position is and who's selected first?

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  16. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

New here?

17. rickjet

rickjet Well-Known Member

We most likely will pick between (#8-12), Darnold and Rosen are my "Best Bets", but even if we put together a huge package,
    I don't think Browns or Giants will trade out of 1/2 (SF winning wasn't helpful). Allen is my next choice of the remaining QBs,
    but he is far from a sure thing.
    I am intrigued by Case Keenum, signed a 1yr $2 million w Vikes, he has mobility, pocket presence, toughness, 29 yrs old, reads field well, nice touch, throws a nice long ball, Minnesota will have a tough decision to make in off-season about Bridgewater/Bradford, if Keenum hits FA market, I believe he would make a ton of sense, A. Smith (33) and Cousins (Big $$) are other options, but going with Keenum, we could use our draft picks and cap room to sure up the O-Line, secondary, and other needed areas. I really want to see how he plays down the stretch and playoffs....

#57 rickjet, Dec 12, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
  18. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Smarten up guys ...no more “quick fixes” at QB eg Cousins etc
    Tank out.. move to top 3 -5 .,Build thru the draft with a Darnold/Rosen Fire T Bowles and hire the best Offensive Mind out there in College/Pros
    May the FB make it happen!!!!!

19. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

This has the makings of one of the best QB classes in decades. To not go and get one of these QBs in the draft would be criminal regardless of draft position.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. gulbane

gulbane Member

Tyrod Taylor, Cousins, or Alex Smith. Pass rusher in draft.