How would YOU handle the Jets Quarterback Situation in 2018?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Dec 7, 2017.

1. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Cool your Jets and just draft a QB if you see it that way

Luck??? Sorry no retreads wanted

FlaJet likes this.
  2. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

Patience???????? Are you KIDDING me!!!! This team has been searching for a long term solution at the position forever. Jets fans have been patient enough.

Finally a legit QB at the prime of his career comes on the market as free agent costing nothing in draft capital at a time where the Jets have more cap space then they could possibly use and you want pass? Why so we could draft another young QB?

grkmanga31 and FlaJet like this.
  3. spinjani

spinjani Member

How about we go all in on QB finally?

First, I would say goodbye to McCown and Petty.

Then Mac needs to sign Teddy Bridgewater, I think he's almost the same age as Petty, with a much better head on his shoulders. Although sometimes an injury can change an athlete and they don't come back the same, I think Teddy may actually benefit from the time thinking about starting again. We will be hedging our bets anyway, and I suspect he will come cheap.

Next draft a QB in the first round- the best we can get our hands on. If we have to move up for Rosen or Darnold, so be it. For Rosen I would move as far up as needed, but for Darnold I would go to 3. If we end up staying at 6, Mayfield, if he's still there and Jackson/Allen if no one else is left. Draft another in the second/third- Falk, Rudolph, or Lauletta.

The rest of the draft would be O-line and a pass rusher. Let defensive genius Bowles make do with the pieces he already has.

At training camp Teddy B, the 2 rookies and Hack battle it out for 3 spots with the loser going to the practice squad. Hopefully our new OC will be the savant that people think he is and the QB that comes out on top will flourish under his system and next year we can add skill pieces to really get an NFL offense.

LAJet, NCJetsfan, Kris 15 and 2 others like this.
  4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I like this plan, except just draft 1 QB and have a 3-way battle in camp. Too many other holes to fill.

5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I'm fully okay with taking two QBs but I'd be shocked if Macc did that.

EDIT:

Upon reflection, the last time the Jets won a SB they did it with a QB who was ONE OF FOUR! QBs they drafted in the same year. Now I'm not suggesting the Jets use 4 picks this year on QBs, but what that shows me is that Werblin and Ewbank understood the ultimate importance of having a FQB. They knew you have to start there and then build around the guy who rises to the top. So taking two QBs this year would be a reasonable compromise on that approach. But I seriously doubt Macc will do it.

6. The Dark Knight

4 it is then! I want to go back to the Super Bowl! ;)

spinjani and ColoradoContrails like this.
  7. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

let's draft 5 just to be sure :)

The Dark Knight likes this.
  8. The Dark Knight

Good point! Can't be too careful. Sign Cousins, trade for Foles, draft 5 QB and then have a QB battle in Camp. The best man starts. Solid strategy.

Jets_Grinch and FJF like this.
  9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I think overloading at QB in the draft would be fine.

The 1965 Jets took 4 QB's because in those days you never knew if your 1st and 2nd picks would be in the AFL or sign in the NFL. The Cardinals took Joe Namath and then the Jets outbid them for his services.

10. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

As long as other pressing needs such as OL and RB are addressed too.

11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I think we'd all better hope (and/or pray) that the Jets can fix the OL in FA. We know that Mac is gonna take some defensive players in the draft. That's a given. The Jets could have the ability to sign their new starting LG, C and RT in FA. There could be that many good FA OL. Then the Jets could draft a QB, RB and get their couple of pick in on D in the first 3 rounds.

12. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yes, they COULD do as you say, but given their track record I really doubt it. Hope I'm wrong.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. The Dark Knight

Okay, update after the loss of Cousins and signings of McCown and Bridgewater:

Still draft a 1st Round QB: likely Mayfield, Rosen or Allen if Browns take Darnold at #1 overall.

Cut Petty before the draft or any day now.

Go into camp with McCown, Bridgewater, 1st Round QB, and Hackenberg.

Then let them battle it out for the starting job. If Hack shows enough progress you keep him, if not you cut him. Same with Teddy and his health.

Knowing the Jets they will go into the season with a depth chart like this:
    1. McCown/Bridgewater
    2. 1st Round QB
    3. Bridgewater/Hackenberg

14. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I think they will keep 4 QBs this year.. Like the Pats did the year they drafted Brady.

McCowan
    Teddy
    1st rounder
    Hackenberg

15. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

McCown Bridgewater battle it out. If Bridgewater looks awful he won't make the team. If not Hackenberg will be cut and it will be McCown, Bridgewater and draft pick.

16. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Hackenberg and Petty will both be gone unless they can't find a QB to draft..with the Jets that's always possible.

17. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I think Hackenberg is still eligible for the practice squad. He's on his rookie contract still, there would be no point to cut him loose under these circumstances.

18. NJJets20

NJJets20 Active Member

I can't explain how disgusted I would be if the Jets don't use their first-rounder on a QB this year. It would feel like the entire past year has been a waste and we will have to go through another pointless season to get out franchise QB. That's why I pray we get one of Mayfield, Rosen, or Darnold.

19. The Dark Knight

100% agreed. It would be an embarrassment. Especially with only Hack, Petty, a 39 year old McCown and Teddy recovering from a torn ACL. I think the Jets go QB. Might even trade up. Nothing would surprise us with the Jets though.

20. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

Well, I wouldn't have handled it how we ended up handling it in the last 24 hours, but what's done is done and here we are.

Now what I'm doing is finding my way up to 3 or 4 to position ourselves to get a QB we covet and not leave it to chance by staying at 6. We absolutely cannot go into next season with McCown, Bridgewater and Petty or Hackenberg. Can't do it.