How would YOU handle the Jets Quarterback Situation in 2018?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Dec 7, 2017.

1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

1. McCown
    2. Mayfield is better than Allen
    3. McCown tutoring a new QB is a good thing
    4. Bridgewater sucks

JetsFan and NYJetsO12 like this.
  2. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

How did they play it perfectly ? Snyder had no interest in cousins the year that Shanahan drafted him. That was all MS not any Redskins personnel

3. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

RG III has been long gone from there.

They've used the franchise tag on Cousins the past two or three years so how could you say Snyder has "no interest in him"?

They're not sold on him being a legit 5-10 years huge money QB IMO that's totally fair and SMART on their part. They have nothing behind him so they paid him on one year deals no doubt hoping someone better would come along.

The media doesn't credit them at all. The media ballwashes stupid, loser organizations like the Raiders and Lions who wreck the QB salary structure by paying middle of the pack QBs like they were Peyton Manning circa 2004 or 2013.

In that sense Daniel Snyder has been a guardian of fiscal sanity for the NFL. Who'da thunk?

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  4. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

This season needs to end asap. QB room needs to be emptied out asap. I need 2 open QB spots come the offseason. McCown back on a 1 year deal, two new faces signed/drafted/whatever!

5. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

God no, McCown should be nowhere near this team. You know if he is here, Bowles will play him and the guy is mediocre and will equate to another 5-11 year. They need to learn their lesson from the last Fitz disaster. The guy is almost 40 years old as well.

BomberJet likes this.
  6. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Cut them all and use that money to get Cousins. Then draft a couple QBs in the later rounds.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  7. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

I'm more and more resigned to the notion of them signing a vet QB ( NOT MaCown) and drafting that running back from Penn State or a pass rusher - how quickly will the team do a 180 with JUST those 2 moves.

My patience would wear thin for them to draft another QB with this coaching staff and go thru at least another 3 years of mediocrity.

8. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

thats how you see things, not how cousins see things

9. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

Those two moves willl mean nothing. Your patience is running thin, so,sign a vet QB and draft a RB? This team needs a long term plan, not another quick fix. The Jets need a franchise QB and the OL needs to be a priority. Lack of patience will mean this team goes another decade without a division title and a home playoff game. The quick fix route has not worked,

10. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

With the fix I compare this team very much when Parcells took the reins and got Curtis Martin and V. Testaverde. It's so uncanny it's scary. The FQB is not going to work if the team has not shown their ability to groom one. And this is the main problem. Plus, they need some big holes to fill.

Drafting a QB in the 1st is absolutely no guarantee it will pan out. Look at Jaemis Winston or Mariotta or the one Denver drafted, Lynch. Better to bring someone in with experience and draft a stud player to fill another gaping hole. If the Jets managed 5 wins with a journey man like McCown (he missed nearly 3 games) , I can be sure that with a better one leading , they can improve immensely.

The long term plan is how long? When you include The Edwards/Rex and Bowles era, we're talking 13 years. And they still haven't gotten it right.

11. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Not a bad plan. I'd sign up for that. Don't think it will happen though.

12. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Pending on cost, I would trade a 4th and future 6th for Kizer of Cleveland given I think he has some talent and put around the right pieces, could succeed. Dorsey the new Gm has nothing owed to Kizer and if cleveland takes a QB, it leaves kizer as expendable. I don't know if he's a superstar QB but despite the rookie hiccups, he has had some strong games and when he got actual talent to throw to, he did put up ok numbers.

13. The Dark Knight

Wow, curve ball plan right there. No one ever brought that up. I don't think Jets fans would like that, but could be a low risk option.

14. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

If Mac goes vet qb route, so he doesn't have to leverage the future in the draft to move up and get one, then I would prefer Case Keenum. If the Vikings get to the Super Bowl, I can't see Keenum leaving Minnesota. To be honest I don't see why Keenum would want to leave the Vikings to come to the Jets. Minnesota won't lowball him. I guess that means we turn our attention to Teddy Bridgewater. So one of those two quarterbacks as the Jets starting quarterback next season, with McCown as the backup.

Brook! likes this.
  15. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

If I'm Mac then;

1. If the 49ers don't use the exclusive tag on JG........All-in, +$30M a year even at the cost of 2 first rounders. Hell I'm only sticking around if I can get a FQB and of all the names we've been discussing I think JG is the safest bet (even at the high cost)

2. Look at Cousins, Keenum, Smith

3. Hope to get lucky in the draft

4. Bridgewater

5. Fitz..............F*ckit!

16. The Dark Knight

Somehow the Jets look like they have caught a break. #6 overall pick. 2 second rounders. Plenty to work with. Rosen and Darnold BOTH declared today. So officially there are 4 really good potential franchise QB's available in Darnold, Mayfield, Rosen and Allen. Throw in Lamar Jackson if you want to say 5.

Kirk Cousins is also available as we know.

They truly can FIX one of the biggest problems they have this offseason. The most important one too: Quarterback.

No need to wait for Hackenberg to develop, or trust a 39 year old QB in McCown.

Mike Maccagnan has been tossed a soft ball. Now all he needs to do is hit it!

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  17. The Dark Knight

Just finished watching the Senior Bowl. Obviously did not get much from Mayfield, but Allen looked great.

I've said it in this thread a lot but the Jets MUST fix the QB situation this offseason. So many options to upgrade.

I'd let McCown walk and cut Petty.

Trade for Alex Smith, draft a QB in the 1st Round (Allen, Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield), sign Cousins, etc.

It's exciting as long as the Jets do that.

If they re-sign McCown, draft a CB in the 1st and draft a QB in the 4th I am not sure what I would do.

18. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Have a rookie or 2 compete with McCown for the starting job and may the best QB win. :)

19. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

Two options:

#1 Throw the full court press at Cousins if he’s out there
    #2 If Cousins gets franchised again or decides to go elsewhere then I’d do my best to trade up for Darnold or Rosen. If you cant pull that over than sit back and take Allen, Jackson, or Mayfield at 6. I’d also cut Petty and Hackenberg bring back McCown, and draft another QB in the later rounds who is better than Hackenberg.

20. The Dark Knight

Can't cut Hack. He hasn't even played. Plus he doesn't cost that much. Unless he is 100% truly a lost cause (which I don't think), he will be on the roster.

McCown was good, but there is just too many better options and so much Cap space to stick with him. Plus he had a really lucky season health wise. He usually gets hurt much faster. Can't expect a healthy 2018 season from him. Not a good thing for a Back-Up QB.

Cousins, Alex Smith, Keenum, Foles, Bridgewater, etc all would be better options than McCown to me.

Sign or trade for one of them, draft a QB in the 1st Round, and the Jets are back in business.