How to ask for a promotion

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by JethroTull, Aug 26, 2017.

1. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

Anyone have any advice? My boss recently said in my performance review that he thinks I'd be served well to stay in my current job for another year, but I just found out another position opened that I really want to apply for. Is it worng to ask?

2. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Everybody's on the stage, and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience

3. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

What is the job description of the new position that opened up? Are you qualified, capable of handling new job opening?

If you meet criteria, why would you not apply for it?

Be careful with your bosses opinion of you, sometimes it's based on personal opinion on his standards of right and wrong and not an opinion based on job description and ability to do the job.

Where I work we have gone away from performance review, any promotions are based on exams and knowledge of job, and it's done by an outside agency.

We have guys who are great test takers but lack mechanical aptitude, common sense, and ability to deal with public, but because they could sell themselves well and run off a list of things they accomplished in school they scored well.

When they did away with the ability to memorize your resume and put people in a position where they had to act the part based on knowledge, department SOPs, strategic planning, it started separating the well balanced guys that were capable of being good supervisors.

zace likes this.
  4. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Whats the position if you dont mind me asking?

The biggest question you need to ask is if you think you can do the job and thrive or would you be happier staying where you are?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Red Menace likes this.
  5. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

If you never ask or try, it probably won't happen. They'll assume you are happy with the status quo and continue on.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  6. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

There are many reasons why working for the state down here is not great but the advancement process is, I think, very good. In most cases you have to be in the position just below to apply, the applications go to the hiring supervisor to make sure you qualify, then there is an exam to get to the top 5 candidates.

From there the exam scores are reviewed by a committee of 3 which includes a supervisor, one person at the level of the position applied for and one other employee. You can't serve on the hiring committee more than once a year so it is always different people. The committee then reviews the applications/resumes along with test scores and can cut the group down from from 5 to 3 or keep all 5.

They then set the interviews, after which the committee will choose the best of the 3-5. It isn't foolproof but while I was with the state it seemed to me to work very well.

Red Menace likes this.
  7. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

It's a senior level position (one step up from where I'm at now). I can't give too much info on what I do on the internet.

8. JetsHuskers fan

JetsHuskers fan Well-Known Member

plow his wife

Greenday4537 likes this.
  9. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

I'm gonna side with your boss.

FJF and The Waterboy like this.