How tight lipped are the Jets?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JethroTull, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

If you read the reports on this board then its possible. Draft Rosen in round one. Some people here say Mayfield is a 3rd round prospect so draft him in round 3. Others say Allen is not worth a draft pick so sign him as undrafted FA. Problem solved and everyone can be happy and get the QB they want. It is like Christmas but actually getting presents you want. Great idea.

P.S. Just in case anyone gets upset what I said above is sarcasm and not realistic. Please do not get mad or upset. Only 9 days until draft day. Into single digits!

2. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

That's the spirit!

3. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

The Jets were never taking a QB last season after spending a 2nd round pick on Hackenberg. The media took a shot and got lucky. No one had Jamal Adams or Marcus Maye to them last year either.

This regime has been very tight lipped so I'd say any draft speculation about who they may pick at 3 is just media members taking shots in the dark.

FJF likes this.
  4. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

totally agree. actually what I like a lot about this FO is barely anything substantive leaks. Take the Suh thing for example. We were never linked to Suh until the 11th hour. It's refreshing that people don't know what we are doing.

5. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

More importantly, what kind of car did he buy? I think that may be the best predictor of his selection.

The Dark Knight and TurkJetFan like this.
  6. joe

joe Well-Known Member

And there has been a lot of talk linking Josh Rosen to the Jets.

It's just the media twiddling their thumbs and killing time waiting for April 26th with one flip-flop mock du jour after another; like "today's special" at a diner.

#26 joe, Apr 17, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    Leicester Jet likes this.
  7. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I guess about 3/4 of this board disagrees but I maintain that no matter how tight the lips might be the trade from 6 to 3 shows that Mayfield is not under consideration. If the Jets felt he was anywhere near the prospect the other 3 guys are they could have just sat right where they were at and taken one of the four. To me the trade also shows that while they may have strong preferences about how they rank Allen, Darnold, and Rosen 1-2-3 they are at least "OK" with any of them, thus paying the kings ransom to get the 3rd pick and absolutely insure that they get at least one of them or perhaps even choose between 2 of the 3 (looking less likely lately but who knows).

I guess we don't have much longer to wait to see if that is true.

8. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

not quite true. I actually just looked at a bunch of mock drafts from 2017 and a few had the jets taking a QB at 6 (watson or trubisky) and none had the jets taking allen, but to be fair, None had allen falling to 6.

9. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

My recollection agrees with Jethro. I recall information that claimed the Jets FO was not interested in drafting a 1st rd QB just as in 2016 there were lots of leaks that they loved Hackenburg despite the FO's efforts to hide evidence of their meeting with Hackenburg. But I agree I would not be surprised if we took any of the 4 QBs even Allen who I think most would agree is the worst fit on many levels for the Jets whether its scheme or not wanting along term project QB or simply taking another Hackenburg type skillset QB.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  10. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Yeah, the Jets are putting up the greatest smoke screen of all time and fully intend to draft Bradley Chubb. Mac's main motivation in life is to revel in the absolute mental breakdown of fan forums such as theganggreen and he has created the most epic meltdown scenario ever witnessed, even though Chubb is arguably the best defensive player in the draft and a Jets need.

HomeoftheJets, FJF and Noam like this.
  11. GasedAndConfused

the class last year was weak compared to this year, and also the jets clearly had interest in cousins as well which would have negated a need for us to draft a QB this year so i can see that for sure, but some reports still had the jets taking a QB, nothing is really absolute this time of the year

12. joe

joe Well-Known Member

All kidding aside, had the Jets sat at #6 who knows what their thinking might've been. But (stating the obvious) as soon as Cousins signed with Minny and the Jets moved to #3 they pretty much tipped their hand...my point being that right now the scribes are shuffling the deck on a daily basis and offering no greater "Jet insight" than you or I...one day it's this guy, the other day it's that guy....useless, speculative clickbait..

xxedge72x likes this.
  13. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

He sent Baker Mayfield and Davis Webb packing....

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  14. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

I've heard rumors about each QB, but not from any confirmed sources. It does seem like there have been much more Mayfield rumors, but in the end nobody really knows what the Jets brass are thinking here. Smokescreen or not, somebody's rumors will end up being true (just not the Barkley ones LOL). Either way it doesn't really verify if there are leaks.

#34 Sam Hammer, Apr 17, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  15. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

That’s a pretty sad statement but I am worried they take Allen and I get the lack of confidence on your part problem is at 6 all 4 could of been gone if other teams moved ahead of us

16. JetLife5

JetLife5 Member

I genuinely believe the Jets moved up to 3 to get Rosen/a better chance at him (assuming the Browns are deadset on Allen [likely] and Giants are leaning towards one of Chubb, Barkley, Nelson) and that Mayfield is their 1A and no way he'd be there at 6 (Broncos would take him at 5 or teams trading up between 3-5 if they didn't)

17. GasedAndConfused

realistically speaking if mac has a 1A and 1B he deserves to be kick in the balls. He should have a clear cut order of 3 QBs come draft day and take the highest one on his board. Do you really want him on the clock with 15mins deciding between his 1A and 1B since they were both there? it's happened a few times and teams have missed their pick. If the jets miss their pick at 3, it would be a shitshow

18. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Funnily enough Football Outsiders has that happening. https://www.footballoutsiders.com/scramble/2018/football-outsiders-line-mock-draft

19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Absolutely love that draft cuz Josh Allen is gone before the Jets pick.

On the Mayfield rumors that are so strong right now: if your third choice was Mayfield and you had the #3 there is no harm at all in leaking that notion to the world. If the two guys you want go before your pick you take Mayfield and got the guy you were "looking for all along", if one of the two is still there you take him and Mayfield was a smokescreen.

It's almost foolproof but this is the Jets, thank god not on the 6 pick for a change.

20. jixxjr

jixxjr Well-Known Member

They have Saquon Barkley being drafted twice by Cleveland?