How real is the Bruce Arians to the Jets talk?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by WarriorRB28, Nov 15, 2018.

1. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

No thank you... I live in AZ ad seen enough of this guy.

2. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

You can't make chicken salad out of ...

3. WarriorRB28

Francesa made a similar point yesterday.

LAJet likes this.
  4. WarriorRB28

Now why would a 2x head coach of the year even consider going back to OC?

LAJet likes this.
  5. Carpetbagger

Carpetbagger Well-Known Member

My understanding is that Arians had some serious health concerns and that is the reason why he had to stop coaching.

Having a proven coach is not the best idea. How many retreads really work out? Look at how much of a disaster Gruden has been.

We need someone with innovative offensive ideas that has a history as OC/QB Coach. Defillipo would be perfect.

6. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

He had a small portion of his kidney removed due to cancer.
    Gruden was out of coaching for a decade and was a conservative coach then.
    Think DeFilippo would be a good candidate also.

7. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Somebody did something because he lit up the Jets last Sunday.

8. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Arians brought Tom Moore in after retirement to help him overhaul the O and work with the QB's. He's 66 and might actually enjoy being around the game but not have the commitment that being a HC requires. He likes to have a good time.

9. David-The-Meats-Harris

David-The-Meats-Harris Well-Known Member

Arians did say that, last I read. Your take is spot on

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

10. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Hard to tell about Gruden being a disaster. The team is leaving Oakland and going to Vegas. Cleaning out dead wood for picks when the Oakland fan base isn't relevant to the teams fortunes is actually a pretty good move. Notice the Rams sucked for a few years before leaving St. Louis and stockpiled draft picks and money. They have a nice competitive team to sell high priced PSL's in their LA stadium. I would wait to see what Gruden does before writing him off.

11. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

I don't love Ariens Fancessa has always sucked his jock,,,,and no way would he come here and take Bowels job = no way

harts24 likes this.
  12. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

I love Arians, but I have no interest in hiring an old coach who isn't lasting past 3-4 years.

I want a guy who has a chance at being here for the rest of Sam's career. If Arians were 10 years younger? Absolutely.

harts24 likes this.
  13. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I heard this myself on WFAN and I have to admit I think its kind of a good idea (Bruce as HC and actually retaining Bowles as the defensive coordinator). Now I'm not sure if its the BEST idea but I do think it is a good idea.

Especially the Bowles/defense aspect of it. There is continuity, no need to scrap everything, and let him do what he's best at and let somebody else worry about all the other stuff. Press conferences, offense, time out management etc.

14. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

When has a HC ever been fired but stayed on as a coordinator? I’d venture to say never and seriously doubt this is even a remote possibility, nor should it be, Bowles is finished here.

I like Arians a lot, if the Jets go the proven HC route he’d be high up on list as long as he brings a young innovative offensive mind with him that he can groom to replace him in a few years.

Still think I’d prefer the young innovative offensive HC with grizzled vet DC route though.

15. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

You can’t just lump every coach who has gotten a second coaching job into a single category of “retread.” And Gruden, who has been out of coaching for a decade, wouldn’t be an honest poster boy for that category even if we agreed there should be a generic category of “retread” coaches. If you want to argue extremes I could point to Bill Belichik as the example of retread coaches.

16. WarriorRB28

He still has a lot left to prove as a HC.

2x head coach of the year is very impressive but he still hasn't won a Super Bowl.

Winning one with the Jets would make him a iconic coach in this town/franchise.

Coach up Darnold, $100 million in cap space this looks like a ready to win situation for the right head coach.

17. WarriorRB28

This defense stinks.

In this case I don't care about continuity. I'd love to see them hire a Wade Philips type DC or Gregg Williams type DC to complement Arians O.

Good chance Gregg Williams becomes available after the season.

BacktoQueens and LAJet like this.
  18. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I think the counterpoint would be that Bowles, if allowed to focus totally on being the DC could do a better job. In fact he excelled at the job before to the point that he got hired as a head coach so there is precedent for success. I also think he's a low-ego enough guy plus has a special enough relationship with Arians that it could work and perhaps work well.

I still think its a pretty good idea anyway. I'm sure there are worse potential landmines to step on out there. If the Jets fail to find the next A+++ head coach that takes the league by storm I at LEAST hope they don't blow themselves up. I wasn't feeling the Bowles hire at the time and it wasn't clear to me what he was going to bring to the table that Rex didn't. Now a few years later I think we can all pretty much agree he's been a fairly terrible disappointment as a head coach. Can't afford to make two terrible choices in a row.

19. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Yeah, that would be relevant because Matt Barkley was developed by who? I mean a scrub not developing is more important that a Big Ben or a Andrew Lucks development being on your resume. A guy who has worked really well with Peyton Manning, Ben Roethlisberger, Andrew Luck, and Carson Palmer is not ok with you?

Red Menace and FJF like this.
  20. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Francessa the genius speaks again. Remember what he says always happens. Lets dive into this for a bit.

A. Arians was Bowles coach at Temple.
    B. Bowles and Arians are really close.
    C. Bowles coached for Arians in Arizona.

So mentor takes disciples jobs. It probably has happened but don't see it here. Option two Arians as HC and Bowles stays as DC. Lets see I get fired but I can come back but not as the leader anymore. Again probably happended but don't see it happening. Bowles stays and hires Arians. Could've happened last year. Won't happen.

Diving deepeer. Arians is 66. He burnts out in Arizona. Now he said he would be interested in the Browns job. He could I'd see him more interested in a team that lets go of a coach and is or close to a playoff team and needs a coach who can put them over the top.

I could be wrong. Been wrong many times but I don't see Arians coming here. As for the sports pope it is time for him to go back and retire. He is killing drive time raido in NY.

boozer32 likes this.