How elite does our defense become if we take Chubb?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by SecretConnection, Apr 21, 2018.

1. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Staying at 6 and taking Chubb would have been fine with me. Trading 3 2’s though pretty much forces macs hand . Not sure how he explains giving away all that for a non qb

Red Menace and boozer32 like this.
  2. Seth

Seth Active Member

He can't, which is why it's been a QB since the moment we made the move up.

3. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

4. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

As elite as 2010 one game short as always :) we need offense !

5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I hate to break it to you SC, but the Jets haven't had an "elite" defense since the Sack Exchange 1979-83. The defense under Rex was very good, but not "elite" like the 85 Bears, or the 2000 Ravens, and you need THAT kind of elite to win with a game manager QB and mediocre offense. And with the way the rules are now, it's virtually impossible for a team to have a "shut down" defense. Not to mention, we've been chasing after the mythical Elite Defense for the last 10 drafts or so, and how many SBs have they been to, let alone won? Finally, the last time the Jets won a SB it was based on offense, with a strong defense, That's the recipe, and we need to get back to it after all these years.

boozer32 likes this.
  6. SecretConnection

SecretConnection Active Member

Philly just did it though and their defense isn’t that elite neither was their QB.

We can’t take a QB just for the sake of taking one, it has to be the right guy. Chubb is our emergency plan if our QBs go 1,2.........I’m almost certain of that. Chubb is In the conversation at three don’t be fooled.

7. Seth

Seth Active Member

You might be convinced of it, but it's already a lock we're going a QB no matter what. Our entire move up was predicated on liking at least three QBs. EVERYONE associated with the team has already acknowledged as such, as did Chris fucking Johnson. Just admit that you're a massive Chubb homer (which is totally fine), and you're hoping for this versus actually expecting it.

Oh, and the Eagles won the Super Bowl in part to Wentz getting them into the playoffs and at a high seed, let's not forget that either.

8. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Elite?This defense is not even a little bit good. They had a stellar DL with Wilkerson, Williams, Sheldon and under Bowles still didn't get any pressure on the QB. Their top free agent signing was a CB and that is a good thing because he will have to defend a receiver for a long time because the QB will have tons of time to throw. The linebackers are invisiable. I bought up a couple of days ago about Chubb being their guy @3 and this is something I could see them doing. They never said who was their pick going up to 3. It could have been Chubb all along but us fans always assumed it would be a QB. They will be blasted for centuries if they take another defensive player when they have no talent at QB currently.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  9. boozer32

Potential means you haven't done anything yet. Allen is way too risky and once again how is the potential of Hackenberg working out for the Jets. Mayfield and Rosen are leaps and bounds better than Allen right now. No need to wait to find out. Jets are not at that point where they can draft for potential. You do that when you have a QB. If they take Allen Bowels and Macc will be fired before the season is over. Then the cycle of losing will continue with a new regime saddled with a bum like Allen.

10. boozer32

How have 10 straight years of drafting defense worked out for the Jets? Is Chubb gonna throw some touchdown passes?

11. boozer32

Plus we still have non-elite coaches. Rodger will never coach an elite defense. He couldn't spell elite.

12. boozer32

Our next pick is in round 3. Falk will be gone by then.

13. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

There's no way we are drafting Chubb; though it would be fun to see all of the Jets fans at games wearing his double entendre of a name on their jerseys.

14. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

We just picked up one of the top corners in the league.

With two up and coming safeties our secondary looks solid and we already have a good defensive line.

An elite pass rusher could be what we need to turn the corner.

If you look at past drafts the second and especially the QBs do not usually go in the top five because teams do not fixate on the quarterback position but take the best players in the draft.

One or two of these shiny new QBs will pan out, the rest of the teams taking quarterbacks will regret it.

15. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Only a few more days and all the nonsense will change to "what if we had taken......?".

We are not taking an edge rusher, we are not taking a running back and we sure as hell aren't taking an all-world RG either...we are taking a qb, and I think personally it is one of three and those three do not include Rosen.

Seth likes this.
  16. ColoradoContrails

What got the Eagles to the SB and enabled them to win was a great offense - so great tat it could withstand losing their starting QB and still winning.

Yes, it takes more than just a FQB to win, and had the Jets been taking care of improving the offense - especially the OL - the past couple of years - adding the QB could've been the final step to a SB run. But you can't dictate when you'll have a chance to get your FQB and have to take it when it's there, which is now. Adding a player like Chubb is almost like treading water. He's not a difference-maker, even on defense, not this defense anyway.

It's going to be a QB. The only other possibility - which is minuscule - would be Barkley if he was there at #3 and Macc suddenly decided the only two QBs he liked were taken.

Red Menace likes this.
  17. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Personally I have said it before and I will say it again I thought our Linebackers were bad going into last year and I think this group might be worse .I see an excellent secondary and the Def line IMO is average there is little pass rush generated from this front 3 or 4 ,,,,but these linebackers ? Sorry I just don't see it. Chubb would be a great guy to have on any team but it would be nice to have guys around him---I just am not excited about our defense.

18. Bgorkey

Bgorkey New Member

I’m sorry to even consider Chubb at 3 is ridiculous. Have we not learned from drafting defensive players high for almost a decade?

We need a qb. Nothing to overthink here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

What pieces? Jets need offensive playmakers. You used the Rams as an example, the Rams fired Fisher and brought in a young offensive minded HC, he in turn hired one of the best DC in the history of football.

Jets have Kacy Rodgers and TB, with no pieces on offense and a couple of good young players on defense.

What pieces are you talking about?

This team will go 5-11 again this year, but the moral victories will continue to be touted as some accomplishment by some as silver lining.

Chubb will not make a difference on this team.

I can hear it already, Mcown is a great mentor, we are building through the draft, Bowles needs more time and his team is always ready to play....blah, blah, blah!!!

#39 Red Menace, Apr 22, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
    ColoradoContrails and CBG like this.
  20. ColoradoContrails

And that's after 10 years of focusing prime picks on it.:mad:

And aside from Williams, the Front 7 plays like the 7 Dwarfs. Adding Chubb is like putting a band aid on a sucking chest wound...it's a waste of a band aid, a "band aid" that costs 1 first and three second round draft picks.

CBG likes this.