How elite does our defense become if we take Chubb?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by SecretConnection, Apr 21, 2018.

1. SecretConnection

SecretConnection Active Member

I know this will get lots of heat as everyone thinks it’s certain we are going QB. Me personally, I am giving Chubb a very serious look at this point if Darnold and Allen go 1 and 2.

I also have a hunch Bowels a defensive guy with Maverick Mac might be feeling the job security pressure a bit and go all in on this defense.

This got me thinking, with a stud DE how great does our defense become with the new additions? If it shoots us into the top 1-5 I would be very interested in pulling the trigger on Chubb. If we have a top five D and mccown plays how he did last season or Teddy comes back strong we are contenders similar to the Rams last season. Not saying the crow is Gurley but we have a committee.

Am I overvaluing our to defense to think Chubb would bring us into the top 5 defenses in the league?

Chubb, Williams, Adams, Mayne
    Those four will be sick for a very long time, also Trumaine isn’t too old.

We haven’t had a stud DE since Abraham and he didn’t play the run, Chubb does. We haven’t had a QB since Chad, similar drought at each position.

Take Faulk out of Wash st in the later rounds if this scenario were to happen. Sign Hankins for depth.

Thoughts?

matt robinson 17, boozer32 and FJF like this.
  2. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

A quote from yesterday’s SNY article

They are 100 percent taking a quarterback. Don't waste your time thinking of other possibilities. As one team source put it after they traded up from 6 to 3, "You'd have to be brain dead to think we're not drafting a quarterback." The price of moving up was too high for anything else.”

LF911SC, Noam, boozer32 and 5 others like this.
  3. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

The issue with Chubb is that he is too big to play OLB in the 3-4. That is way too much draft capital to spend for another 3-4 DE.

We all know the Jets are picking a QB at #3, but I agree with you that picking Chubb would be a much better selection then a punk like Mayfield.

SecretConnection likes this.
  4. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

I stopped getting excited about defense some time around 2011.

We need Air Bowels.

5. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

So elite that we go 5-11 for the third straight year.

6. 6-10 once again

6-10 once again Well-Known Member

No I bet money he is going to be a semi elite run defender and a average pass rusher, that 3 cone is a red flag, you don't use a top 3 pick on a guy like Chubb especially if you need a QB.

If it goes Darnold, and Allen we should thank our stars that they left Rosen or mayfield for us to take

7. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I'm not convinced Chubb is the player he's made out to be. If I were going to pick a non QB, it would've been Quenton Nelson, after not trading up.

8. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Mediocre defenses don't become elite overnight through the simple addition of personnel.

The best D's have at least two or three elite guys surrounded by capable role players who know the system and trust each other.

9. SecretConnection

This season I would see us similar to the Rams last year, playoff contenders. Sky is the limit after that. We would have some very elite young players all over the defense.

Get Chubb find a way to get Drew Locke next draft is a scenario I like. He will be a very high pick top 10 maybe top 5, will be tough.

Sure we still need to find our future QB but if we produce a very elite D we can settle for a game manger type.

#9 SecretConnection, Apr 21, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
  10. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

You do realize to win with a game manager type QB, you need an elite defense on the level of early 2000 Ravens and the Broncos of a few years ago. This team is not even close to that talent wise and has no elite defenders on it. They have some solid players but not a single all pro. They fact that we already wasted 2 #2 picks, you would have to be pretty stupid to pick a non QB at this point. You must be a pretty New Jets fan because this team has had a dreadful offense since Favre and all of us are sick of trying to win with defense in an offense oriented league

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  11. SecretConnection

Been a Jets fan for roughly 31 years sir!!!!!! Most of my life!!!!!
    My personal ranking for us not overall
    1. Darnold
    2.Allen
    3. Chubb
    4.Barkley
    5. Rosen

I personally just feel the drop off is too signifcate from Allen to Rosen. That’s not what this is all about though...... we have a million threads debating these QBs.

The game manager type QB I was not talking the likes of Dilfer. Alex Smith, Foles, Keenum type, a llittlre more high end than Dilfer and his best ever Ravens defense. We have time to find him, hell maybe the stars line up and Teddy pans out. Uncle Josh has more than a year left in the tank if he keeps performing. I haven’t checked next years potential FA QBs, but we will have tons of cap and there’s always someone! Lots of possibilities at QB next season if we don’t draft one round 1.

Yes we’ve busted on tons of D picks specific Dline, Chubb is a different beast. On my personal board he and Barkley are pretty much even for number 1 overall prospect.

12. Seth

Seth Active Member

Some fans just won't surrender the delusion of us not selecting a QB until we make our pick.

LF911SC likes this.
  13. SecretConnection

Correct Seth, I just don’t value Rosen and Baker very much :(.

With the pieces in place attempting to build an elite D is a better option than taking Rosen or Mayfield long term.

14. Seth

Seth Active Member

Give me a reason why? I can't think of many reasons to put Allen over Baker/Rosen.

Also, once we moved up, we were locked in at QB. There is no other alternative now.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  15. SecretConnection

Seth this isn’t what this is about, this has been debated to the fullest extent in many other threads. Allen has more potential then both of them comibined though. :)

Still no answers, where would our D rank this year if we get Chubb. Obviously the future it would be extremely high to be top 5.

16. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

We're at the point of no return...like the song

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  17. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

after 6 billion defensive players in a row, it's time to stop. It's an offense driven league. It's hard for ANY defense to be elite. Ours will be better with Chubb. It won't be elite

We pick the right QB and our offense will be above average to elite for over a decade

18. Seth

Seth Active Member

Yes he does, but he has a far lower chance of reaching such potential.

And our defense would be better but nowhere near good enough to pass on a FQB. Chubb is not a change the type of defense type player. Also, we've been trying to build a defensive team for awhile now and it hasn't gotten us anywhere. It's time we go offense and take a QB in the 1st round since 09, and in 5 days time, we will.

19. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Theoretically, it’s a good plan. So good that we’vd been trying to implement it for ages.

20. Seth

Seth Active Member

Insanity: Doing the same thing over again and expecting different results.