How do you think Darnold and Allen will shape up future of AFC East

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Apr 28, 2018.

1. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

I actually think the Bills have a really good coach with McDermott. He won 9 games last year with a flawed roster. As for all of these QB's in the draft I have no idea who will turn great, good, average or suck. Remember the year Manning and Leaf both got picked 1 and 2. All of the "experts" said these are 2 can't miss prospects and look what happened. Peyton went on to have a HOF career and Leaf was a total bust and out of football within a few years. As for Darnold I hope the Jets don't rush him. He didn't have a great year last season at USC so I would have to think he needs a lot to work on before he is the starting QB.

2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I would say he telegraphed this throw 110% ... it was determined prior to the snap, Darnold knew where this ball was going. No post-snap read. The spread predicated on creating matchups on the outside, more than likely thought they were playing 2 deep, and Darnold thought wrong pre snap.

xxedge72x likes this.
  3. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Allen is already getting fitted for a gold jacket while Darnold will be out of the league in 3 years. Cmon guys don’t you pay attention to Physco?

4. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

Giants had Lauletta rank#4 followed by Jackson and then Allen, which I agree with -

Allen has always had a huge arm but has never played consistently well at any level of football.
    I have no fear of this guy playing in the AFC East.

As I’ve watched more tape, I’ve become convinced that Darnold on the other hand has all the makings of an elite qb. No qb in this class throws with his level of anticipation or ball placement. His ability to throw off platform is Rodgers like and he’s young. That USC team was crap and he carried them.

Noam and ColoradoContrails like this.
  5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I think whichever of them develops into an NFL QB is going to swing his team's fortunes for the forseeable future.

I make Darnold out as about 50/50 and Allen about 15/85 to succeed.

Brook! likes this.
  6. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

I’ve seen this play around a dozen times now and I think what happened is #32 got in Darnold’s sight line and he never saw the inside defender. All 3 players are colinear at the time of the throw.

He loves to throw with anticipation so you’re gonna get stuff like this occasionally. I’m willing to live with it when he so consistently throws the ball before his receivers break.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  7. 101GangGreen101

The throw IMO was fully pre-determined before the snap, he didn't look anywhere else. What makes Rodgers great at these is that he uses his eyes to manipulate the safeties / linebackers and at the very last second he throws it to his initial read. There was pressure on that play, with not much time to react, but Darnold shouldn't have made that throw.

8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

This is something he'll learn to do. I don't think Rodgers did this Day 1.

In watching more of Darnold now, I'm appreciating his ability to read the flow and anticipate...this is something that Allen shows very little of, and was a big reason I didn't want the Jets to draft him. As I said in a post some time back, I think this ability is innate, something you're born with. You can develop it to some degree, but those who come by it naturally are way ahead (Rosen, Darnold). In that video you posted in another thread of Darnold's highlights, the throws he made with touch and precision were very impressive, again something that Allen almost never showed. And while Rosen also showed this ability, I'm warming to Sam's physical strength and mobility. Rosen is still ahead in terms of being a fully polished QB, but I can see where Darnold could surpass him down the road.

9. 101GangGreen101

Sam's got the mobility, durability and the innate ability to avoid pressure ... I think thats what makes me happy the most about Darnold, as you said he has skill-sets that you cannot teach. Rosen I think out of the gate will be better, but Darnold could bridge the gap quickly depending on his progression. Rosen is so much more polished at this stage, I am so glad hes not in Miami because before the Cardinals traded up I was going to have a heart attack.

Brook!, Cidusii, Noam and 2 others like this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

I heaved a sigh of relief when the Cardinals took Rosen! I dreaded him being in the AFC East, especially if somehow Evil Bill got his hands on him.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  11. 101GangGreen101

after watching Rosen do that fake spike in the Texas A&M game, I was scared to death he would do the same thing to the Jets (again)

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  12. ColoradoContrails

Yes, shades of Marino! I'm still embarrassed about that.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  13. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

See 2nd INT pick 6 that Rodgers throws, looked one way the entire time was pre-determined before the snap, he didn’t look anywhere else.
    Rodgers shouldn’t have made that throw and there was no pressure.

This is not to hammer Rodgers, even the very best throw bad INTs from time to time.

14. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I was on the verge of a heart attack the second I saw that Buffalo traded up. I was resigned to the fact that they were going to get the guy I wanted and a guy that could probably step right in and play and also turn into a top tier QB. When Goodell said “Allen” I literally jumped and screamed. I still can’t believe how perfectly everything worked out.

Sam Hammer, Brook! and HomeoftheJets like this.