How do you think Darnold and Allen will shape up future of AFC East

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Apr 28, 2018.

1. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

I know, as a man, this is no way to go through life but as a Jet fan living in the horrific shadow of the Pats for the past 17 years, as excited as I am to finally have our FQB, I am equally relieved that the Pats didn’t move up for Rosen or draft Rudolph or Falk or Mike White or Lauletta.

I was a big fan of Falk (before he shit the bed multiple times this year) and I envisioned him going to the Pats and picking up right where Brady leaves off.

Now as long as they don’t grab Ryan Finley next year, my fears will be squelched.

And yes, I’m embarrassed that I feel this way :oops:

CotcheryFan and Cidusii like this.
  2. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

My biggest cheer on draft night was when the Bills picked Allen and gave up a decent amount to do so.

Shady and the D might carry him to a couple of wins and we might even see a couple of highlight reel thunderbolts but I think his ceiling is not going to be much better then Petty.

3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

That's good, because I was about to buy you a box of overnight tampons. The big ones.

It's just not fun buying those things.

TonyFtLaud and xxedge72x like this.
  4. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Well, I prefer the Pearl Active ones if you must.

5. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Darnold: Beasting and feasting on AFC East

Allen...well like I said ..useful wrench for constructing furniture

JohnnyJet1222 likes this.
  6. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

I hope Darnold develops and becomes a quality starter. He has a lot of work to do first.
    Allen has to get his footwork down and if he does, the turnover issue will be gone.
    Fortunately the Bills are in worse shape at O line then the Jets right now so that should slow Allen's development.
    Personally, I think Darnold is over hyped and is going to disappoint. Allen has a much higher ceiling, and will have less pressure in Buffalo than Darnold will .

7. abyzmul

Darnold has proven that he can make plays with bad footwork. Allen has proven that he can't.

Hype, it's funny, I didn't see real hype around Darnold, I saw football people speaking real reasons why he's going to be real.

But you like ALLEN? He was one of the most over hyped players in this draft.

I'm not even sure what you were looking at. High ceiling, Jamarcus high maybe.

joe and Big Cat like this.
  8. TonyFtLaud

Allen's poor throws tend to be due to poor footwork.
    He shined at the Senior Bowl and IMO
    Outperformed Darnold head to head in their pro days with the same QB coach running the same script.
    Darnold has to learn to read Defenses and go through progressions.
    Right now it's one read and if the primary is covered take off and plays sandlot ball.
    He will not get away with that at the next level. Even watching his highlight reels, he seems to be throwing off balance, even in a clean pocket. I think he is going to have a lot to learn and alot to clean up at the NFL level.
    I'd say Allens floor is Bortles like.
    Russell had his issues with the purple drank. That led to his on field failures.
    I don't see those type of issues with any of this year's QBs. Not even Mayfield.

9. abyzmul

This is your Allen fanboy take, I think.

You explain away Allen's incompletions with bad footwork and yet fail to mention that most of Darnold's bad footwork plays end in pass competitions.

I have watched tape, good and bad, for Darnold. Your description of his progressions is pretty sad when Allen's are far, far worse.

And your mention of Pro Days??? WTF? Yeah good job workout warrior, you looked good in shorts. Come on man. Allen is only in the convo because he can throw it through a wall. The guy has shown very little and was basically a workout warrior.

Yeah, I doubt he is like Jamarcus because of the drugs. My ceiling for Allen is Daunte Culpepper. Not bad as long as you surround him with elite talent.

10. TonyFtLaud

We can revisit this thread in a couple of seasons. I hope like hell I'm completely wrong and Allen is a bust and Darnold a perennial Pro Bowler.
    For the Record, I'm a Rosen guy and I was hoping he was our selection , not Allen.

11. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Brett Favre says hello.

12. IIMeanDeanII

You guys sleeping on Allen are crazy man, he could very well bust, so could Darnold, but the kid has talent.

I watch his tape and he is a special kind of QB, if he cleans up his footwork, he could be an elite QB. Without question.

He made throws that most the other QB'S can't make. I'm not even talking about arm strength either, some of the tight window throws, just impressive.

I think he's going to be successful and he has a much higher ceiling then any other QB in this draft.

I think he's going to shock a lot of people.

Then people are going to say...

"Nobody saw that coming..."

Riiiiiight.

We shall see soon enough.

legler82 likes this.
  13. abyzmul

We'll probably both be completely wrong, and the guys we liked will be busted and Lamar Jackson will lead the Ravens to a SB.

Getting binky in the early rounds of a draft usually means your team sucked and you went in on stats and film when the real guy was on the fringes.

The process is fun but reality always kicks you in the nuts. The only thing I am banking on is the NFL so over-favors QB at this point that we may have a few exciting seasons before it all crashes down.

stinkyB and TonyFtLaud like this.
  14. abyzmul

These words have never been spoken after a draft. You go on, you trailblazer.

15. IIMeanDeanII

Happens every year, but sure, we can roll with that though.

16. abyzmul

With that though?

Come on, Mean Gene. Show some passion for the thousands of Hulkamaniacs.

17. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

This time 1,000. The Jets are hoping that fixing Darnold’s footwork can turn him from a good player to a great one. The Bills are hoping that fixing Allen’s footwork will turn him from a bad QB into a good one.

Only one of those warrants a high first round pick. Our graveyard is littered with QBs that we tried to get to stop being bad.

18. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Isn't Darnold the one with a "turnover issue"?

19. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

If Allen is a "bad QB", where can I sign up for one of those?

20. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

We already have our Allen. He's probably going to get cut soon though. Sucks we wasted a 2nd rounder on him, I guess better than trading two 2nd rounders for him.