How do Jets defensive players fit in 4-3?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by wellemann, Jan 16, 2019.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Ferrell will bust in the NFL. He was the beneficiary of the talents around him.

2. BrowningNagle

They are going to need to sign a 4-3 DE in free agency. Probably the top priority

3. Laxg41

Laxg41 Well-Known Member

Ferrel impressed me more than quennin

Bowles Movement likes this.
  4. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Can't say I've seen this opinion elsewhere. Almost every scouting report talks about his physical skills and attributes over his numbers. Usually when a guy is the product of the players around him, it's high sack totals without much hype around what talent the player possesses. See: Coples.

5. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Lee-Williamson-Jenkins​
    Clowney/Lawrence - Pennel(?)- Williams- Allen (R)

This is probably how I would roll. Not sure if Pennel is the best choice, or if Jenkins could play OLB in a 4-3. I really love the potential of Williams/Clowney/Josh Allen

6. BrowningNagle

Ferrell had some elite DTs that were sucking up double teams every week. He only had to beat his blocker 1-on-1 all year. Quennin Williams was the straw the stirred the drink at Bama on the inside of that D and faced a lot of double teams.

7. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Dexter Lawrence didn't play. 1 on 1, he sure showed Jonah Williams on a few plays.

8. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

I'd be livid if we took Quinnen Williams and didn't sign an edge rusher in FA. If we land Ford or Lawrence I'd really like the Quinnen Williams pick... Imagine Allen, Williams, and Q Williams rushing the passer

9. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Sure did. Like I said I haven't really seen the notion that Ferrell is a product of his surroundings anywhere other than this website, by one person, so I'm not gonna harp too much on it. He's a perfect fit in the Williams defense especially if we have someone on the other side.

10. 101GangGreen101

Agreed, against Alabama he had a non-stop motor, was generating pressure all game long. He is not as athletically gifted as Polite, or Josh Allen and I don't think Ferrell will ever be an All Pro type player, but I see him as a player that will get you 10 sacks a yr and generate probably 50+ pressures a year which is what the Jets need.

I think trading down and getting a pass-rusher or a Greg Little (OT) would be the best case scenario for the Jets. So many good pass-rushers in this class.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  11. BrowningNagle

Wilkins is the most underrated player on that defensive line and he played. Besides you are talking about 1 game. I'm lookin at the whole season+ . I guess calling him a "bust" is probably a strong sentiment but Ferrell is going to have a significant learning curve in the NFL ,that he didn't have at Clemson. Maybe he can overcome it, but I wouldn't draft him to find out.

----

Williams for Bama, obviously its a different position, but the comparison was made, Williams could step onto an NFL defensive line tomorrow and be a contributor. He has a bright, bright future ahead and reminds me a little of Aaron Donald. Williams was double teamed all season and it didn't matter.

#31 BrowningNagle, Jan 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  12. Laxg41

Laxg41 Well-Known Member

Bias be damned but I don’t want another interior d linemen. I want an edge rush or a left tackle

BrowningNagle likes this.
  13. BrowningNagle

that's fair. I understand the feeling for sure.

14. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

The Jets need to follow the Colts blueprint build a wall in front of Darnold NOT take yet another d-lineman/defensive player in round 1.

They've been running that gameplan for almost two decades now it's time for a change.

Pepsiguy5 and jilozzo like this.
  15. 101GangGreen101

Against the top tackle in the nation. I think he has decent hand placement, decent power, speed, wins 1 on 1 and a non-stop motor. Ferrel isn't the only pass-rusher I am interested in, this class has some really good players. Ferrel's game isn't sexy by any means. Especially compared to Josh Allen and Polite.

There is only 1 Aaron Donald, I'll pass on interior lineman, hopefully he goes 1.

16. Quennin Willliams scares me.I know he has some great skills but he has a ton of help around him..even if hes occupying double teams its still hard for the opposition to make him a true focal point & the overall front 7 talent allows space for everyone to operate.

He had a decent Frosh year but realistically has a limited body of work.He has lousy pad level that he gets away w due to his length,bend & quickness.Hard to know if he’ll be able to disengage so effectively at the next level. He reminds me alittle of Quinton Coples after his Sophomore year when he was dominating at 3T & most felt he would go top 3 if he declared which he did not

I encourage everyone to take a look at Ed Oliver.Hes been widely considered a top 5 pick for 2 years now. He has 3 years of production w little help around him & he takes a backseat no one athletically.His first step/initial surge is among the best ive ever seen.Hes one of those rare specimens that can be an undersized nose tackles that is so quick that the lack of size doesnt even matter.

I like prospects that do more w less.Kinda similar to preferring Allen vs Bosa or Ferrell.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  17. BrowningNagle

Oliver is a stud as well, I agree. I also agree on Allen over Bosa or Ferrell.

I think you are underestimating Williams though, he was an absolute monster. There were so many plays that he had a hand in even that don't go in the stat sheet. The QB in his grasp, but thrown away, etc. He was always double teamed and they still couldn't stop him. My favorite thing about Williams though is that he is a very smart player. that's why your comparison to Coples is off. Coples could get into the backfield and stuff but he didn't know what to do when he was there. There are lots of guys like that. Williams is smart and always finds himself near the ball. I really think he's going to be a tremendous NFL player. Oliver will be very good too. He has more athleticism that Williams and probably more of a versatile player

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  18. Laxg41

Laxg41 Well-Known Member

If you can trade back to 7 with the jags you do it then there is pretty much a 99% chance one of the two left tackles will be there

19. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

totally understand the edge rush BUT if we indeed switch to a base 4-3, the DE has to be big enough not to allow hisself to be swallowed up by the big tackles. Bosa yes, not sure if allen can do that.

20. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

agree here BUT this upcoming draft doesn't totally fit that plan. However if our astute GM makes the decision to work the draft to the teams advantage then yes he could make it fit with a couple of real good OL picks and also come away with a day 1 or 2 defensive stud.