How did Darnold look compared to last week?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Sep 16, 2018.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Is it just me or does mccown look a lot like josh brolin
    [​IMG]

2. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Like a rookie.

He locked onto Enunwa too much for my liking, he didn't spread the ball around like he did against the Lions.

Bowles shoulda kicked the fg with 10 seconds left before the half still throwing the ball short of the endzone with no timeouts left was a rookie mistake. Same goes for the pick in the endzone right after the forced turnover by the D.

That was at least 6 points off the board for the Jets in a low scoring game.

Whatever we knew it was gonna happen now we find out some more about him once or twice can be called a rooki mistake/growing pains if it keeps on happening like it did with the likrs of Sanchez & Geno then it's just plain ol' bad QB play.

3. cval

cval Well-Known Member

It is his second game. The future is looking bright for Sam. Sure he made some mistakes but unlike Sanchez and/or Geno he know the entire playbook and has great pocket presence.

FJF likes this.
  4. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

he looked really good. accurate, his is so calm in the pocket and under controll on the run. he played eexceptional despite the interceptions.

im not going to panic, but the picks will remain a red flag for me until he has a string of mistake free football. rookies will have turnoves, but Darnold was a turnover machine last year at USC as well.

outside of the 2 picks, phenominal football despite being surround by a scrub oline breaking down and receivers dropping big plays

Bowles is doing him 0 favors either

PabloJa and IBLEEDGREEN17 like this.
  5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Powell should've had like 10 catches, had only 6 targets out of the backfield. Have to do a better job of exploiting matchups

Bowles Movement likes this.
  6. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Coming from Texas Tech, he's used to pressure of having to score a ton of points to overcome his defense's shortcomings.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  7. David-The-Meats-Harris

David-The-Meats-Harris Well-Known Member

Hey man, no disrespect meant by anyone.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

8. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

IDK... Watson started right away and looked just as good as a rookie as Mahomes does currently. There's no hard rule about any of this. Darnold looks like a guy who's ready to play now. If there are any questions, they begin with the other 10 guys on the field with him.

rohirrim665, FJF, legler82 and 2 others like this.
  9. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Did Darnold look fat to anyone?

MoWilkBeast, Harpua and cval like this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I said it in preseason when we were all debating whether he should start - the only reason to consider not starting him is the risk of injury with this OL, and that remains a concern. But there are things they can do to mitigate this risk, and the reward is that he gets way more opportunities to learn. He's a quick study and seems to apply his lessons, so I think it's the right call to play him, but they definitely have to do some things to protect him better. He gives the Jets the best chance of winning, or at least competing, than anyone I've seen in recent memory.

11. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

Last year they started off like gang busters and then lost I think 5 in a row....Once to us.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  12. Jetsruby

Jetsruby Well-Known Member

I don't get it, call it when you see it. he looked bad. ITS FINE. Don't overreact. He's only 21 years old in his second ever game, but if you want to be realistic about it...he looked bad. He killed momentum at critical times. I thought the red zone INT after the fumble was just terrible. You can blame Pryor all you want, but he was covered and that ball should have never been thrown in that spot. He also missed Enunwa wide open at the end of the half and over threw him. I saw some guys say he was trying to throw it out of bounds with no information to back this up. I saw Powell and Enunwa having to jump for some balls because they were thrown high.

He looked good and bad, but it was a bad outing. And that's fine.

13. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

"I knew I had to get the ball out of my hands, and if I didn’t see anyone, to throw it away," Darnold said. "So I was throwing it away. As I went to go chuck it out of bounds, he almost made a great play in the back of the end zone. Yeah, I was throwing that ball away."

https://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2018/09/how_jets_sam_darnold_plans_to_turn_these_mistakes.html

14. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

First answer this simple question: Would Darnold learn more by sitting on the bench than playing in real live games? He is not getting killed out there, he is learning on the job.

To answer your question, Yes the Chiefs have way more talent than the Jets, is that a serious question? And talk to me about Mahomes after 16 games, not 2.

#114 rohirrim665, Sep 18, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
  15. PabloJa

PabloJa Well-Known Member

Are you freaking kidding?! Of course our skill players are worse, I mean you can’t possibly be serious, Kelce is probably the best receiving TE in the league just behind Gronkowski, Kareem Hunt is a better all around RB than Crowell or Powell (sorry to burst your bubble), and Tyreek Hill is a better WR than any of our WR’s not named Quincy Enunwa.

Darnold should start, I’m so glad Todd Bowles was not THAT stupid, to bench him. Peyton Manning started day 1 for the Colts and I’m pretty sure he’s in the top 5 best QBs to ever play the game. Wanna use Rodgers example? Okay, if we had Brett Favre I would be all in on sitting Darnold for his rookie year, but since I don’t see Brett Favre on the roster I’m gonna go ahead and declare that starting Darnold is possibly Bowles’ best decision as the HC of the New York Football Jets.

cval likes this.
  16. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Good to see some recognition that the offense as a whole is not very talented. It was odd this offseason watching people try to hype our receivers up.

They’re just not that good yet.

Combine that with a putrid OL and you have a rookie QB getting a baptism by fire.

We could (and possibly should) see a large amount of roster turnover on the offensive side of the ball by next season with all of the starting wideouts and 4 OL up for new contracts by the end of this year,

17. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Well duh that's what everyone does in the Big 12

18. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

I was there, and there wasn't really anything eye-popping about his day, like there was on Monday. I can't say it was a bad outing since the loss is on the entire team but I hope it's not too long before Sam himself will look back on it and consider it to be one of his worst outings. Sam's first pick was bad (we all forgive him) and it put us behind. It felt like he never had the time to stand back there look around, and throw with confidence. Another post mentioned more balls thrown to Bilal. That would've been a good thing. All things considered I'm happy he didn't get banged up. I need to watch this game again on TV because I missed most of the series at the end of the half because we were relocating our seats to escape the brutal sun.

19. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Nah, I think he went to a couple of pro bowls you might have missed though.

Harpua likes this.
  20. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

I just found out, Darnold went to USC.

USC?!?

You can't take a fucking QB from USC!! Everybody knows they blow.

Harpua likes this.