How did Darnold look compared to last week?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Sep 16, 2018.

1. David-The-Meats-Harris

David-The-Meats-Harris Well-Known Member

I liked Sanchez. I see no Sanchez in any of darnold's game.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

2. JDeacon

JDeacon Well-Known Member

The thing I hate about comparing players to other players in the league is its impossible to truly compare the two situations you are in. Lets start with the coaches. Reid is far superior of a coach than Bowles, that alone puts Mahomes in a better situation over all because the team is more disciplined and is focused on the goal at hand.

Mahomes talent around him also allows him to elevate his game. Ever heard of a TE named Kelce or a wide receiver named Tyreek Hill? Those players are killing it for their QB right now by being at the right place at the right time and actually catching the ball, everyone looks better.

Are we ruining a qb by having him play? I doubt it, you are who you are and who Darnold wants to be will solely depend on how much work he puts into his craft. Kid was making some throws yesterday that blew me away, if only the scrub foundation of wr's and te's we have given him would catch the ball we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

3. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

He is the youngest starting QB in the modern era people. WHat is so hard for you all to understand about that? What is your frigging rush - is this our SB season? He needs time to develop. With QBs that means time to learn from the sideline and in practice.

Its untrue that Mark never had good games as a rookie. But with this type of development they backslide because they are trying to drink from a firehose with continual pressure and distractions. Again, Patrick Mahomes is the perfect example. What we are doing with our youngest ever QB is rushing him in an unnecessary desperation. Do you want Patrick Mahomes quality, or Aaron Rogers quality, or Tom Brady...etc? Then sit him down and give him time to learn like they had - and quit making him the salvation he is not ready to handle yet. You dont just snap your fingers and get Aaron Rogers or Partick Mahomes - you develop them slowly.

There is almost like a manic desperation to ruin the kid on this board. I've been a Jets fan for 40+ seasons. I can wait. On top of that McCown will probably win as many games this season - and still mentor him. When McCown goes down - then ease him into starting.

(Its not the fans fault. I know we are all desperate for a franchise QB. This is on the HC. He is the one who is desperate.)

#83 ouchy, Sep 17, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
  4. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Just because he's young doesn't mean he's ready. The kid is moving the ball, and making excellent throws. He's still a freaking ball of clay too. Do I want Mahomes or Rodgers quality? How about Big Ben / Peyton Manning type quality?

Mahomes is playing with great weapons all around him, RB, WR, TE ... they have the best offense in the NFL with the best offensive coach. Yet, that team is giving up 33 points a game. Should be interesting to see if they can win shootouts 16 games this season.

5. Jets_Grinch

Jets_Grinch Well-Known Member

Marino was starting by week 6. Peyton started week 1, as did Elway. I agree with your point about giving him time to learn but sitting him just for the sake of sitting him makes no sense. He will learn a lot more getting game experience then he will holding a clipboard.

Ralebird and ColoradoContrails like this.
  6. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

I was sitting on that endzone and the moment it happened I leaned over to my brother and said Pryor didn't finish his route, he obviously pulls up. Extremely frustrating.

7. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I retract my previous statements. Rushing Darnold is certainly the best way to develop him and there is no benefit from learning from the sidelines and practice. That is all any of you want to hear or believe. So be it.

8. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

Say what you want about sitting the guy, but I can't believe Darnold would learn better and faster on the bench. Personally, I'm okay with a game like this because I understand its necessary. He might have lost the game for us but he learned exponentially more than if he sat on the bench, Jets fans, The Jets, and Darnold all have to be okay with that to make this a successful process. Hopefully he learns fast but this is what we signed up for and I'm okay with it because I see huge potential in him.

Ralebird and ColoradoContrails like this.
  9. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

OK lets put it this way. Mahomes has 3 starts and Darnold has 2. Is Darnold that much worse than Mahomes? Did he not have as many open receivers? Is our talent so much worse than the Cheifs? If Darnold was on the Chiefs would he have had the same successes?

The difference is preparation and Darnold is not prepared for this role yet. Don't confuse potential with prepared.

10. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

fair assessment, but Mahomes does have a much better group of weapons

Hunt
    Kelce
    Hill
    Watkins
    O-line
    better coach

I personally like what i see from Darnold so far and he's not the biggest problem on this team. But, WOW, Mahomes has looked amazing through 2 games

11. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I tend to agree with letting the rookie sit for awhile, but in this comparison there are Big differences:

1) Chiefs had Alex Smith for him to sit behind. He wasnt ousting him right out of the gate
    2) Andy Reid is his coach

PabloJa and ouchy like this.
  12. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Sure comparing teams can be a sticky situation. But if we have a potential franchise QB than why not do it the right way. There is no upside to rushing him this season.

Honest question. Would McCown have a better chance of beating Cleveland than Darnold this week? I thought we kept McCown so we could afford to develop Darnold the right way. Same thing Cleveland is doing for Mayfield - and when Mayfield finally gets to nod he is going to be ready to tear things up.

#92 ouchy, Sep 17, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
  13. stinkyB

Hard to say.... but if on the practice field if Darnold clearly looks better than McCown, what kind of message does that send to the rest of the team if he's on the bench?

PabloJa likes this.
  14. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

Different teaching philosophies.

Some learn by doing and correcting mistakes as you go. Some learn by sitting back and watching.

Maybe this is how the organization feels Darnold will progress best.

PabloJa, stinkyB and ouchy like this.
  15. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

An NFL QB is not a welder. A welder learns by doing. An NFL QB has a lot to learn before they can learn by doing.

Sometimes a rookie QB can come in a be the day one starter and eventually thrive. But that is an exception, not the rule. We are the Jets - we don't get exceptions to the rule. If we follow the rules we might actually find success. When we try to except ourselves from the rules we get SOJ. If we cared about Darnold's future we'd all be screaming to sit him for a while.

16. stinkyB

Personally, I think someone wanting to be a welder would be better off observing and learning before igniting a a torch and metal ;)

17. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

On 2nd viewing, Sam was absolutely fantastic. The pick to the linebacker and a bad force to Robby in the flat late in the first half are the only glaring mistakes. Could’ve hit Robby for a 91 yard TD but took Enunwa for a decent gain instead.

If Herndon (drop on a fantastic play, stopped running against clear zone coverage causing an incompletion, no will power to score on the last play of the half) and Pryor (quit on the INT, dropped an unbelievable play by Sam, another drop in the redzone) has their heads out of their asses, this would be the best game by a Jets QB in a while. All with an overwhelmed OL and no run game.

Hopefully Kearse and Sterling can take the targets from Herndon and Pryor.

18. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

Personally I believe in this day and age (ie. cheap QB's on rookie salaries) if the rookie QB is ready to play, performs the best among the team's QB's, and seems to be learning the playbook then you play him. Unless the line is that bad where he is getting killed on a majority of plays and he becomes gun shy the upside in playing him outweighs the possible ups and downs that is entailed with a rookie QB.

Ouchy, you may disagree, but many in the board feel this way - likewise some don't. Just because some might disagree with your philosophy doesn't mean that we are lunatics. There are plenty of examples of successful QB's starting right away as there are examples of successful QB's that have waited. The same can be said for unsuccessful QB's.

IMHO if the rookie QB is progressing well and it doesn't look like the game is too big for the QB then you play him (unless he's sitting behind a franchise QB).

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  19. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I think he looked about the same. mostly made a lot of great throws, was poised and showed off his talent. Could have converted on 2 big 3rd and longs (15+) had it not been for 2 drops (pryor and herndon) as well but he also made a couple of rookie mistakes. it happens.

FWIW keenum and stafford have the most INTs so far one is considered a top 10 QB and the other took a team to the NFC champ game last year. Carr, Garappolo, luck, and big ben have the same amount so it's not the end of the world but he needs to do better at nit throwing INTs

20. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter