How did Darnold look compared to last week?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Sep 16, 2018.

1. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

I wonder what you guys saw on TV. I was at the game today and I thought he looked better than he did last week. Yes he had INT's but overall he looked more poised out there. What did you guys see?

Red Menace likes this.
  2. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

I think he did as well. Whether that is down to him having more passes due to the score I'm not sure. With Darnold it does seem like we will get a bunch of ints because he is not afraid of slinging it.

egelband likes this.
  3. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

With a better oline he will be lighting up defenses. I'm not worried about Sam, I believe jets have their FQB.

4. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

I think it was pretty similar, with the added yardage being because he got a lot more chances. That's actually a good thing, since last week he showed evidence that he's a FQB, and I think nothing happened today to change that.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  5. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

He looked good. The team around him looked worse though. The O-line, Herndon, Pryor, the defense, etc. Several people let Sam down. He was good, especially for a 21 year old rookie.

6. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

Sam was fine. Could have been better, obviously, but he as in no way being helped by Bates, the left side of the OL, and the pass catchers not named Enunwa.

7. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

His passes had a lot more zing on them. For the most part his passes hit players in the hands. The only bad throw as in it was a dumb decision was the pass to TJ McDonald. I am surprised he didnt run for more when plays broke down. He was worse as a ball carrier this week.

8. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

Shame they gave up the 3rd and 19, it would've been interesting to see him run a 2-minute offense trying to tie the game...

9. seanofthedead

seanofthedead Well-Known Member

Just got home from the game. Sam looked good. First pick was inexcusable and on him as was the missed passed in the EZ to a wide open receiver.
    That pick in the EZ was ALL on Pryor. That was just Pryor running a lazy route. Biggest bust play of the game. The D held it’s own and all those points they put up were on the Jets O turnovers.
    I’m pissed with the L but knowing we gave away that game I really hope that the Jets learn from this. They can play with almost everyone if they don’t give points away...
    Onto Cleveland...

westiedog1 likes this.
  10. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

Sam looked fine. These receivers though, they either need more practice with the jug machine or should be replaced. 88 alone, two key drops and failing to get across the goal line before the half. Sam will be fine. Hell, even this makeshift o line will work. But these kid receivers have to grow up and catch the ball.

11. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

Agreed, it would have been great to see in his early stage how Darmold would react. Too bad the defense folded at the end of the game.

12. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Sam was good. Yeah, made some mistakes, but he's a rookie in his second game. He was hurt by the mistakes around him and the play calling. He's the real deal, and a FQB, I just hope he doesn't get hurt playing with this team.

13. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

I thought he looked fine. He made some bad throws but his receivers did absolutely dick to help him out. Pryor and Hansen should be cut tomorrow.

The difference this week was basically field position.

14. IBLEEDGREEN17

IBLEEDGREEN17 Well-Known Member

Pryor and Herndon. Hansen is a FA

15. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

When the game and offensive got into hurry up he looked real good. Quick decisions but very decisive. We couldn’t get anything going on the ground whatsoever. I was at the game but maybe someone who wasn’t could answer this for me: what was our average 3rd down distance? I felt like we were constantly looking at 3rd and 7-8-9 or longer. We can’t win like that.

16. hastygreen

hastygreen Well-Known Member

His head wasn't rotating nearly as frantically as last week looking for an open man. This week he seemed more calm with it like he knew who would be where before hand.

It felt like he was trying to take the game into his own hands at times and made a couple of throws that could have turned out badly.

All in all it was a really nice showing and could have been even better if the OL didn't leak like a rusted pipe and half of the receiving core didn't have the dropsies.

17. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

That was true, and I blame the play calling for most of that.

jets_fan likes this.
  18. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Looks like a good QB to me. I mean he's an infant in NFL QB years. It is unheard of for any QB to be starting at this point. Mistakes will happen because he takes risks and I don't think he'll ever be one of those totally mistake free guys (but heck Jason Campbell didn't make many big plays either) but Sam will make a ton of big plays once his receivers learn to catch the ball

Or once we get him real bigtime receivers

19. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

And shit field position all game. Did we once start from outside our own 10 in the first half?

20. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

The playcalling was quite possibly the biggest problem today. Far too predictable and it seemed as though they were always in 3rd and long situations. First down runs weren't working nearly well enough to justify the number of times they attempted them.

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.