Houston is using the Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BrowningNagle, Feb 28, 2006.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Personally, I would be pretty happy if we traded up and got Leinart, but that is for one of the other debates we are having. But seriously, I don't believe one whiff of the rumors about us wanting to trade up for Leinart, I think that Houston is trying to scare the Saints into trading them the farm and then some to assure they got Leinart, then they can still draft Bush. They look at us as the prime candidates to scare the Saints, and are trying their best to get the most out of their top pick. What do you guys all think?

2. Capt. Spaulding

Capt. Spaulding New Member

Not much of a reply, sorry, but it did get me thinking. There have been COUNTLESS threads saying what we should do via the draft and/or FA and it is amazing how many directions diff. posters have us going. The bulk of them make sense because there so many ways for us to go. If EM has his Crap together this could be a hellasious off season for us. It is great to looking forward to the upcoming weeks/months. We may be rooting for a completely diff. team next year.

3. jaybo1015

jaybo1015 New Member

i dont understand the point of trading up if we pass on reggie bush....

4. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

there really is no point to it

5. JetsTillDeath

JetsTillDeath New Member

I think you bring up a good point here. Houston can be blowing smoke without a doubt, and they would be smart to do it. I was thinking along these lines last night, 1050 had the GM of the Texans on, forget his name, and they were speaking about all the possibilities and he was endorsing the hell out of Leinart, saying he had him #1 on his draft board, even above Bush but Houston does not have the need for him. He is playing his cards right, but I do not think many will fall for it. I will give credit to Tanny and Mangini before they have really earned it because they seem to be playing hard ball and taking this team in their direction full force. Whether their plan is the right one or not, they are carrying it out full steam ahead. IF they want Leinart, they will offer the mortgage up, if they do not, then the Texans will just keep leaking information saying we do, I love football, let the chess game begin.

6. 28rogerblaze51

28rogerblaze51 New Member

As lond as we get what the coach expects its all good, it might not be a choice we want or it might be, but lets hope its not a player who ends up a flop.

7. xjets2002x

xjets2002x Active Member

I think pre-campus workout talk is premature.

The Jets are using all these rumors to move the Pennington situation forward. They have been mum about everything else, but then you hear "Ramsey" and "Cutler" and the Jets are out in front. I think it's obvious that they're feigning interest or exaggerating it to get their will.

-X-

8. Serphnx

Serphnx New Member

I don't think Houston really needs either a QB or an RB, they'd be better off with D'Brickashaw. Of course, they feel it would be a reach to draft him #1, so as a result they're desperately trying to get out of that position. I don't think the Jets need to move at all, we're going to get one of the big 3 QBs for sure. What will probably happen is Houston will trade right behind us. Then, we can threaten to take Brick, and force them to trade up to us. Bwahaha....and we'd still get our QB. If Houston traded right behind us, that is exactly what I'd do to them.

9. WestKyJetsFan

WestKyJetsFan New Member

If memory serves me, it's real rare for a team to trade up just to later trade down... sounds more like something I do on Madden then a team does in real life. Plus, there's no way Houstan's trading that 1 to anyone before a week or so before the draft.... think about it, let's say they really try to stick it to NO by getting the Saints to throw in everything but the kitchen sink to take the number one on the deal that they don't take Bush... what's to keep NO from using the time left before draft day to trade the number one to someone willing to trade everything AND the kitchen sink. Then Houstan is stuck at 2 without Bush and looking to trade down again.

What's it called when the easiest answer is the correct one? Osscam's Razor or something?

Anyway... Houstan is just using their last couple months to see if anyone will float them the deal of a lifetime... those deals only come once a lifetime and you don't want to let one slide away. Reggie Bush is their consulation prize (what a consulation prize!) if nothing comes their way.

As for the Jets, we're building up the image of Cutler in case we get stuck having to take him as the third QB off the board, or to make the case that no quarterback stood above the rest so we work on the O-line.

10. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

I think Houston is posturing, too. Trading up for us would be mega-stupid. If we stay at #4 we still will likely get one of the top 3 QB's if we wanted.

In trading up, you really are saying, we want Bush. Bush is great, but is he that much superior to a Lendale White or Williams to the point where it will cost us extra picks to get him. I say NO. White or Williams will do us fine if we want a RB and we can trade down while getting an extra second rounder in the process. That makes sense.

I can not see Mangini being that smitten about unproven NFL talent to trade up given the strength of this year's draft. If it was a very weak draft there could be an argument, but this is one of the better drafts in quite a while. Fortunately, it has come at a time when we need it.