Honest Assessment of the Current Jets Situation

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Long Time Jet Fan, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Long Time Jet Fan

Long Time Jet Fan New Member

Lots of good things happening. Can't quibble with any of the Jets moves (assuming all the reported items have some basis in fact).

1. Restructuring Pennington or cutting him - A major restructure is necessary here. If not the Jets need to release him. Way too many question marks to pay the guy this much money.
    2. Restructuring or cutting Martin - Another major restructure or he should be gone. - done
    3. Releasing Kendall - Older and costs too much
    4. Releasing Fabini - Older, injured, and costs too much - done
    5. Releasing Law - No way the Jets can afford him as he's going to be looking for a big payday. - done
    6. Restructuring or releasing Mawae - Older, injured, on the downside of a great career, but too expensive. Hasn't been the same player for the past few years anyway.
    7. Releasing Sowell - Not really an impact player at this point, so if he needs to go it's not a big deal. - done
    8. Coles? Not sure what they are doing with him, but he's pretty expensive so they should try to restructure. I think they are attempting to do that. Not sure what they'll do if he doesn't cooperate.
    9. Franchising Abraham - An obvious move. Didn't sound like they plan on trading him, but you can't really go on what they say publicly. I think the Jets should try to keep him because if he goes so does the pass rush. - done
    10. Drafting either Cutler or Ferguson - I'd prefer Cutler but could live with Ferguson in light of all the potential OL cuts above. The Jets need to find a new franchise QB. I was and am a huge Pennigton fan but there are just too many question marks to depend on him. Even when healthy last year he didn't look particularly good.
    11. Release Fiedler - Was only an expensive insurance policy. - done
    12. Release Gardner - done
    13. Release Legree - done
    14. Release Williams - done

Bottom line I like that Tannenbaum and Mangini are being decisive. And no I don't know who's going to play on the OL, but I'm sure if they're considering all these releases they have a plan; either the draft or FA. I'm really not opposed to blowing it up, ridding the team of all the bad contracts, and starting fresh. From my viewpoint that's what it looks like they are doing. I'd rather watch a bunch of young guys working their butts off than a group of overpaid veterans on the downside of their career.

#1 Long Time Jet Fan, Feb 21, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2006
  2. Gator

Gator Active Member

That's a great post. Coles worries me, because I think we all know what his reaction will be to LESS money. He'll get all bitter.

J! E! T! S! JETS! JETS! JETS! (echo, echo)

3. ny2dave

ny2dave New Member

This is going to go either one of two ways.........

and I think it all depends on what we do with Penny.
    1. We keep Penny. Then we try to hold onto Mawae and Kendall while working young fellas into the Oline. We draft D'Brick at #4 and trade Abe to Detroit for their #9. There we can take either Mangold or Jean-Giles.
    2. Cut Penny and blow up the Oline. Draft Cutler at #4 and Oline with #9 and/or round 2 and 3 picks.
    Least thats what I think.......

4. parafly

parafly New Member

Great post. All of the moves this offseason are showing me that Mangini and Co are not afraid to make the necessary moves toward rebuilding. This is a very good thing, and hopefully we will have a young, solid, winning team in 2 or 3 years.

5. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

I agree, LongTime. Truth be known, we're in blow-up mode now anyway. So let's get it done and go all the way. Tannenbaum and Mangini ARE being decisive... even the word "hardnosed" comes to mind, and we need that now. Thank God Edwards is gone too, because this is not the time for hand-holding.

I'd like to see Martin remain but for far less money. Like to see Penny on the bench too as a backup, for about $1.5 million or so. Like to see Jerold Sowell here for one more year, but inexpensively. Like the same for Mawae, but recent reports indicate he won't budge, so I think he's gone. Abraham will be gone too if we get enough for him. Blow it up baby, we're half way there anyway.

6. jdjets

jdjets New Member

right on.

yeah ,if i here that losing abe is no big deal cause we'll still have a pass rush one more time! b thomas sucks bigtime. ellis becoming really useless.

7. 4jetfans

4jetfans Well-Known Member

Dont forget Jay Fieldler and who knows about Brooksie, What about Jolly and
    we also lose Wayne and Vinney and whoever will be left from the Herm/Parcells era. Great Post. Lets blow it up and start over --- Like I said before "suck in 2007 --- first or close to first pick in 2008" and finally be a competitve team in the future. Go Jets

8. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

i agree i agree i agree....about coles,if he becomes a problem as someone said he might regarding restructuring then he may find his ass on the long list of players on their way out...i know theres a lot of coles supporters on this site but i still fail to see whats so great about this guy....show me the numbers..someone prove me wrong...but i think this guy is a number 2...i really do....

9. Long Time Jet Fan

Long Time Jet Fan New Member

Updated with Jets latest moves.

10. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Great post LT. I don't mind blowing up the O at all because our O has basically stunk since the middle of 04, there really isn't anything to lose by blowing it up and if we can make a couple of tweaks to the D and can play a conservative O while rebuilding we may be a better team than what went into the playoffs in 04.

We draft a couple of power OL man, a young stud RB and a QB who can make the throws but is kept on a leash we should be fine.

11. MDBigDog

MDBigDog Active Member

As you know I don't normally agree with your "honest" assessments as they usually seem a bit biased but this one I do. I'm not necessarily a fan of all the moves but can see what they're trying to do and am willing to let it all play out.

12. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

No no no. They're going to ask Coles to restrucure, NOT take a pay cut. In other words, take most of his bloated 2006 salary and turn it into signing bonus. He still gets his money this year, but the Jets can spread out the cap hit.

#12 fenwyr, Feb 22, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2006
  13. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Damn, LTJF. What would I do without you!? :beer:

14. JETSFAN5180

JETSFAN5180 Banned

id like to see more cuts Blaylock,Reed,I want all the underachievers gone i dont care if it only saves up pennies.Clean house all or none.We had how many defensive linemen on the roster at the end of the year?

15. JETSFAN5180

JETSFAN5180 Banned

also how many tight ends on the roster jolley,baker and driessen they all stink

16. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

Reed signed a 1-year deal so he can't be cut...He'll be a free agent March 3rd.

17. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

Spoken like a true fan who hasn't watched a game over the course of the last few seasons...Do you always spew out other people's rants as prophecy?

18. JETSFAN5180

JETSFAN5180 Banned

thank you for the info any more dead weight laying around lets cut it loose

19. JETSFAN5180

JETSFAN5180 Banned

im sure theres more to come before the day ends we cant be done i know many like blaylock but i think he stinks

20. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

LTJF, please add 9. Franchise Abe to your done list.. :wink: what we do with him is yet to be determined.

Ellis