History of "offensive-minded" head coaches

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Zach, Nov 12, 2018.

1. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I found two coaches in that category in recent memory; I wasn't going to dig deeper than 1980's.

Anyway - here's the show. Who are they?

Bruce Coslet and Rich Kotite.

This team is cursed.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

2. MenOverGod

MenOverGod Well-Known Member

This is hilarious

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Doomed I tell you! Because things in the NFL haven't changed at all since the mid 90's :D:D

4. dman928

dman928 Well-Known Member

It's both sad and funny...

However, both of those clods coached during an era where defense could win championships.

5. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Eric Mangini, Bill Parcells, and Joe Walton all had our offense kicking ass,

Red Menace and NYJetsO12 like this.
  6. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

We cant stay the course with Defensive guys..These two guys were just losers.. the point scoring philosophy is what pays off in today’s league

boozer32 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  7. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

so did walt michaels and weeb. jimmy richardson once said that you could throw 40 guys in a room and somehow weeb could pick out the ones that could actually play the game.

today's nfl is a virtual copy of the 60's afl. the league that nfl cultists called " mickey mouse" until the jets and the chiefs wiped out their representatives.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  8. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Cmon Zach... Those were the days when defense was defense and the offense was an afterthought. When those guys were HC's, you could target guys, lead with your helmet, hit Qb's high OR low, check receivers 5yds from the LOS. This is a completely different NFL nowadays.

9. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

Both Coslet and Kotite were just inept as head coaches. Coslet, for one, was a product of his system; he coached under Sam Wyche, had a good QB in Esiason, and probably was given too much credit for the Bengals' success in the late 80s. Kotite...I don't know what went wrong with him, as he had some decent seasons with the Eagles. My guess would that he had the same problem that many conservative-minded, mediocre coaches have: They can do a decent job when they have the right personnel for their game philosophy, but they are totally incompetent if the team isn't made up just right.

More than an offensive or defensive mind, the key to a good head coach is someone who has a good overall understanding of the game, knows how to recognize talent, and knows how to use the talent he's got. He probably has an ideal way he likes to coach and plan games, but he'll alter his plan and philosophy to best use the players he has, at least until he's able to get the players to fit his perfect scheme. Whether one hires an OC or DC for the next coach, I think a good stick to measure success would be to look at how many mid to late round draft picks are successful under him.

10. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Id take a defensive guy depending on who it was.But I really want a guy like Hardbaugh

11. Jetsruby

Jetsruby Well-Known Member

Right because we judge people solely on the side of ball they're on and not the actual skills of the coach....

This post is like a fun little stat to contribute to the despair we are feeling right now surrounding this team, but that's all it is. I understand you, OP, if your doing this for s**ts and giggles, but to take this as some sort of legit analysis (with a sample size of 2 no less) would be dumb.

CotcheryFan and MoWilkBeast like this.
  12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Overall, good post, but I disagree with the bolded. The Jets should not even consider another former DC as HC for the foreseeable future. We've been there done that, owned the T-shirt factory. Former DCs focus on D. In general, they're more conservative and don't know as much about offense. We need an offensive-minded HC that will restore some balance to this team, and who will try to score points in a 21st Century NFL fashion.

and

I disagree. I don't think judge people solely on the side of the ball they're on, but the reality is that over the last 20-25 years since Kotite, every single HC we've hired has been a former DC or Defensive position coach (Herm). Enough is enough. This is the 21st Century, and the NFL has changed. We don't need any more former DCs who are gonna stress defense and ignore the offense. We need a HC with an offensive background who can develop Sam and get the team scoring points.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  13. Jetsruby

Jetsruby Well-Known Member

I think you misunderstood, that was suppose to be sarcasm. I agree with you entirely. I am saying that the argument to not hire an offensive coach because the last two were Kotite and Coslet is a dumb argument.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Don't talk about my father.

TonyFtLaud and Zach like this.
  15. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

C'mon, almost all of our head coaches have been offensive. They are sure offensive to me.

16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Sorry if I misunderstood. I rarely use sarcasm, so often miss it when others use it.

17. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

I don't necesarily care about where the coach comes from (though hiring a defensive coordinator would be terrible optics), I just want them to know the ins and outs of how to coach modern NFL offense in 2018. No doubt Sam's development is priority number one, but essentially I want a McVay type to come here and make me feel I am watching an NFL game on Sundays.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  18. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Two best Head Coaches in the NFL are BB and Tomlin. Both DC's. Best up and coming head coach in the NFL is Mike Vrabel. Defensive Head Coach.

Historically there have been some great Offensive Head Coach's. The 2 best that come to mind are Hank Stram and Bill Walsh. They have to be looked at differently than other offensive coaches. They completely innovated professional concepts of O and the league had to catch up to them. In both cases they had great defensive teams when they actually won championships.

I got a chance to watch Oklahoma, Oklahoma State on Saturday and went to the Chiefs, Cardinals game on Sunday. Lincoln Riley's team is throwing passes into windows a competent high school QB could throw into. It's absurd how open they are. As great as people think Mahomes is the Chiefs have so much speed and talent on O he has huge windows to throw into. There is no genius about how Mahomes is succeeding. Most of his throws are easy open throws and it's not scheme it's overwhelming speed, size and talent. There are a dozen NFL QB's who would be putting up 40 per with that talent around them without the brilliant Andy Reid pulling the strings.

If the Chiefs don't get a lot better on D I could easily see another 1 and done season for them.

jdon likes this.
  19. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

So you're saying Defense Wins Championships?

20. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I couldn't disagree more. I think Vrabel can become a great HC in a year or two, but the best up and coming HC is McVay, hands down. He has turned Goff and the Rams around and hasn't even finished his 2nd season as HC.

NCJetsfan likes this.