Hindsight - Should Sam have sat out 2018 behind a Vet QB?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Nov 5, 2018.

1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I was worried at the beginning of the year, and the offense has gotten worse as the season has progressed. But Sam isn't getting physically destroyed. Gonna have to get the right pieces and coaches around him. Zone coverages eats this man alive.

2. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

I was fine with him starting week 1. There was a piece of me that wouldn't of been upset if he sat 4-6 weeks to better understand the speed of the game play calling and preparing and played at least 10 games. Much like Eli. That being said the best learning is on the job. If it was week 1 or 6 he had to play. Trading Teddy for 3rd was a great decision. Wouldn't change anything we've done. It's ashame injuries and lack of talent has hurt his development. It is what it is at this point. Just hope we don't ruin him. I look at Goff. He was awful under Fischer then got the offensive coach and he looks great. With 8 games left Bates should pull a McVay and call the plays at the line. I think it'll help Darnold.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  3. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

They started Darnold to SELL TICKETS they traded Teddy to avoid a controversy = they absolutely should not have put the future of this organization behind this O line and with not one single weapon on offense ! There is not 1 guy on this offense that other teams need to scheme around. Darnold should have sat until December ( at least ) or fear what is happening right before our eyes = they are ruining this kid . I honestly do not know if this kid is our answer or will be but they are stunting this kids growth BADLY he has regressed tremendously !!

BrowningNagle likes this.
  4. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

5. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I'm fine with the decision to let him play.

If he's gonna suck, I'd rather know now.

The OL is bad, but for a lot of this season I didnt think it was so bad that it ruined him. Yesterday with all those horrible snaps was the first time I felt that way.

And I hate to call out players on the team for looking like they gave up, but yesterday it looked like no one gave a shit besides Enunwa. Ultimately I dont know though, its easy to look like you dont care when your QB cannot find you.

Cman68 likes this.
  6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Part of that is route design I think. Receivers not spacing out enough to make the defenders really commit and open up the soft spots. Sam also has to be more patient and not try to take the big chunks and look for the shallow guy .

7. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

No. We should have fired TB and bring in a real coach instead, preferably with an offensive mind and young enough to understand where the new NFL is going.
    Instead we have a dynasour with impeccable ethics but unable to manage at this level.
    This is dejavue of Fisher and the Rams. Defense does not win championships any more. It only helps get your potent offense back on the field with the least amount of damage. If you ain't got offensive fire power you ain't got nothing

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  8. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

True indeed but you can't be patient with this OL

ColoradoContrails and FJF like this.
  9. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Its good to be more patient when you can be, but Sam at most has had perhaps 3.0 seconds to set and release even from the shotgun. His oline is not his friend and for a kid QB who's only been Qb's at a high level 2 years (USC) suddenly thrust into the pro game, its not putting him in the best position to succeed. All the more reason why Sam should have sat behind either Teddy or McCown and learned more of the nuances of the game instead of just the playbook.

ouchy likes this.
  10. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

I would have rather they sat him and not had him playing with a cast of subpar talent like what he has around him. Bridgewater should have been the starter with Darnold spending time watching, learning from both Bridgewater and McCown as the season went.

Cman68 likes this.
  11. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I agree, I don't know what Bates is attempting to achieve out there.

12. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

They made the right choice. Sam has 9 games of experience now and a (3-6) record. The team is making me furious how little they help Sam and hang him out to dry. Or he could have no games of experience while watching Teddy or McCown and the Jets be (5-4) or (4-5) and I am watching furiously wishing Sam was on the field. Basically, the Jets would be making me furious no matter what. :) At least I get to watch Sam learn.

13. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

If he grasps the playbook he should start, and that's what happened. I'd rather start the learning process for Sam right now instead of waiting for a year. What this team really needs is to get rid of the worst HC/OC combination in the NFL. Get us coaches who can actually scheme our guys properly.

14. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

From a record stand point this team would be better had Teddy/Josh started, but that would've brought nothing but a worse draft pick and IMO, a no better than 8-8 record with no playoffs. Once the decision was made to start Sam, they have to see it through to the end. What we're seeing is a combination of him trying to do too much and forcing balls, as well as his inexperience against what other team's are doing to him. Sitting and watching this year would not have prepared him for Alonso dropping into coverage and picking him off. He has to see the game from the field and learn to not repeat the mistakes that he's making now. I believe that sitting him only prolongs the inevitable learning curve...

#34 PennyRoyal10, Nov 5, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
    NYJFOREVER and ColoradoContrails like this.
  15. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Do people really think we were ever considering going into the season with Bridgewater? We did exactly what our intentions were when we signed him - hope he flashes in preseason and trade him for a draft pick. That was our only intention with him. Did people think we drafted Sam…and also wanted to bring in Bridgewater? Come back to reality people.

16. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

We signed Bridgewater before we drafted Sam.

Acad23 likes this.
  17. Hawk-o

Hawk-o Active Member

We never should have traded a Teddy away!! He should be our starting QB

18. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Yes but that is not the point I was making. The plan was always to draft a high rated QB. We traded up to get one. Bridgewater was brought here in hopes we could turn him into another draft pick - which we did. It was not a big shock when it happened. We were never going to allow Teddy to compete with Sam. McCown was perfect because he is in the sunset of his career. If Bridgewater did start and played great than where would that have left Sam? Since we were committed to a rookie we did the right thing with Teddy.

19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Amen CBG, you nailed it.

20. BrickcityJet

BrickcityJet Well-Known Member

I believe he’s a smart kid who learns by doing. It was the right choice to put him out there and he’ll definitely learn as he goes.

If you were expecting a 21 year old kid to go out there and light it up every game, you need your head examined. He needs this experience, sitting him would’ve been the wrong move.

Has he lit it up? Some games...yeah he kinda did.

Has he made mistakes? Yup. Gotta expect that. The important thing is he seems to be learning from them. What I saw yesterday was he was trying to make plays and he was a little frustrated.

I don’t think he’s going to make the same mistakes next week. That’s growth! I think it’s too early to doubt him. Now if he’s doing the same thing in year two and three, that’s a different story.