Hindsight Poll: Rosen and the three seconds, or Darnold?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Will-I-Am-Not, Apr 27, 2018.

?

If you knew you could draft Rosen at 6, and keep the three seconds, would you?

Poll closed Apr 30, 2018.
  1. I'd take Rosen and the picks.

44.4%
  2. I'd still make the trade to land Darnold.

55.6%
  1. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

This. Rosen will not last in this league. He will be hit by bigger, stronger, and faster guys. Injury history was a major concern with Rosen, and I'm so glad the JETS didn't pick him.

If the JETS had to give up this years 1 and next year's 1 it would have been worth it. A Franchise QB is the most valuable thing a team can have. For 10 plus years that position can legitimately be taken care of in a way it hasn't been since Kenny O'Brien.

Worst case scenario, Darnold is like Sanchez and they do it all over again, but the front office absolutely made the right choice with the trade, and the pick.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

2. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

Rex ryan calling someone out for running their mouth is like a duck calling out a goose for being a waterfowl......

3. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

Nope.

Darnold had 0% chance of making it to six. Either the Colts trade the pick to someone who takes Darnold, Denver takes Darnold, or Denver trades the pick to someone who takes Darnold. He was the number one QB on the vast majority of NFL draft boards.

NYJetsO12, Sam Hammer and CotcheryFan like this.
  4. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

If the Jets knew 100% Rosen is there at 6, I doubt they would trade, but they didn't know, and the 3 second round picks do not really matter if both Sam and Rosen become great players in NFL, as I suspect they will. Now, I made many posts here how I want Jets to draft Mayfield, but this was assuming Darnold and Rosen are gone at #1-2. I don't think Baker is a better talent than Sam/Rosen. Sure, I would be happy with him at 3 had the other two guys been gone, but he is quite small, and both Sam and Rosen are big accurate QBs, who also happen to be two years younger. Two years does make a big difference at this stage of their development.

We are not talking about sub-pair College QB like Allen here. Sam and Rosen are not even seniors and put together very good seasons - at the top of their excellent conference. The reason Rosen dropped is because of his injury history, but I would take him #2 after Sam any day, as much as I like Baker. The good news is - we got the top guy in this draft. And if he develops into FQB, like I think he will, even if Rosen does as well, no one will ever remember or care about a few 2nd rounders we could have kept if we had 20/20 vision.

LF911SC and DuhesSeaOfMud like this.
  5. GWjet

GWjet Well-Known Member

I choose Darnold for 2 reasons

Rosen has a lot of injury concerns. Imagine we drafted him , he gets another concussion and calls it a career

And...... He’s a dick. Everyone knows it that’s why he slid like he did

BacktoQueens likes this.
  6. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I didn't like the trade because the QB that was the least drastic choice in the top 5 had no hope of making it to the three pick.

Except I was wrong, and we got him.

Maybe the real definition of hindsight happens and we look back and say that another QB plus some OLs drafted in the 2nd would have been a better option, but at this point there's no evidence of that.

Way too early for a hindsight thread when the guy you are talking about drafting instead has more red flags than a Chinese military parade.

xxedge72x and HomeoftheJets like this.
  7. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

If Jets didn't jump for 3, Broncos would have jumped for #3. Or Cardinals for that matter.

Remember, there are at least 4 teams with QB need. [Broncos/Cardinals/Bills/Dolphins] After Giants drafted Barkley, you KNOW Jets are drafting a QB. With Mayfield gone, you don't think teams would have jumped at 3/4/5 respectively? What assurance do you have for that?

#87 Zach, Apr 29, 2018
    Last edited: May 2, 2018
  8. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

Someone still salty

HomeoftheJets and abyzmul like this.
  9. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I'd keep Darnold. With our OL the last thing we need is an injury prone QB no matter how good he turns out to be in Arizona. And if you think the 2nd rounders would have fixed our OL, you haven't been paying attention the last four years.

10. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

Are you suggesting I am wrong about Eli Manning? His brother Peyton who beat the Patriots more often is an elite HOF QB.

When people like Mike Francesca declare how dare the Giants bench Eli, were you one of the New Yorkers who agreed with him? Seriously?

Eli is not Peyton, hence he is not an elite QB. His numbers over his career are not elite, yet the NY media continue to praise him like one.

In the meantime the NY media treats the Jets like shit while the Giants who were suppose to win the Super Bowl last year with Eli are 2nd worst team in the NFL!

Are you not sick and tired of big brother Giants getting preferential treatment by your media? The Jets were a better team last year, but if you listen to the NY media the Giants are the better team, really?

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  11. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Exactly. I keep hearing numbskulls like Don LaGrecca and other trolls claiming they could have stayed at 6 and got Darnold, but that's complete nonsense. The Colts wanted to trade, they likely would have if Darnold fell to #3. The Broncos apparently wanted to trade with Giants as soon as Darnold fell to them. I guarantee they would have made a deal with the Colts if the Jets weren't already there.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  12. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Some of us are adults here and we quite frankly don’t really give a shit about what the media thinks.

13. Patriot

Glad to hear that! The Boston media is full of it also. If I was Emperor, I would choose various media folks to return kickoffs with no fair catch allowed.

14. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Did it ever occurred to you that these media folks would just [let the ball bounce away]? Of course if the kicking team recovers, that's a disaster but will they care? Did you think these weasels would somehow find honor in their position? I have to wonder.

Patriot likes this.
  15. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

We can debate this until we are blue in the face, but Darnold is our guy so lets just get behind the kid and look forward to what is on the horizon.

16. Patriot

Good point, but as Emperor I would have them fed to the lions if they fumble or refuse to return the kickoff.

17. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

LMAO

The whole board loves the trade up NOW

But for those pre March believers it was tough sledding

18. Can Grande

Can Grande Active Member

JMO but I think right now Rosen is the best QB in this year's class in terms of demonstrated ability and I expect him to be a good pro but he has durability issues and his ceiling is lower than Darnold's. There was nothing preventing the Jets picking Rosen in the 3 spot in any event so their preference could not be clearer. And they were not the only QB needy team to pass on Rosen. Bills took an outright project QB and word is that Arizona also wanted Allen ahead of Rosen. So the consensus of NFL FOs was that for whatever reason Rosen was the last of the big four QBs. Probably Darnold was at the top of the class on most team's boards. You would normally expect to pay a pretty hefty price to move up from the fourth to the first rated QB in a draft.

19. Laxg41

Laxg41 Well-Known Member

Considering the need for a franchise qb, if darnold ends up even only a small fraction better than Rosen it’s worth it
    ons

20. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

We got the best QB in the draft only because we traded up.

Have no idea that Rosen would have been there at 6 if Darnold went 1st. We're guessing that the QB go where they actually did with Darnold and Mayfield off the board before the 4th pick.