Hightower, I like it

Discussion in 'Draft' started by gsulli5861, Apr 10, 2012.

1. PolygamyWinsChampionships

PolygamyWinsChampionships Well-Known Member

But if that's true...why can't we just insert him at OLB/ILB this year depending on formation and down to give our personnel even more flexibility. Long term we look to rotate him back into ILB mainly but for this year he should hold down the fort at OLB more or less imo if he's worth the pick. If he can't, then he's not worth it.

Then you take a flyer on a late 3rd/4th at either ILB or OLB if you're saying that's what you prefer, and you're still free to draft 2nd WR and 3rd FS. That looks like a much more balanced draft to me.

Don't get me wrong I would absoutely love to just make an all-madden defense like you're suggesting. I just think we need to spend one of our 1st two picks on offense to get maximum value overall.

2. laxin

laxin Active Member

Inserting him at OLB/DE at first is what many posters here are suggesting. We could have him, Pace, BT, and Maybin rotate in at OLB and let him develop more. And if he doesnt develop into that great OLB, worst case scenario, we through him in the middle next year and have a great ILB tandem.

Im not advocating picking back to back OLB/passrushers because I do think we have other pressing needs such as FS, WR, OL, and RB. But I do think that we should double dip at passrush by using at least one of those 7 late rounders- the Jets have brought in a ton of late round passrushing prospects lately.

3. PolygamyWinsChampionships

PolygamyWinsChampionships Well-Known Member

I couldn't agree with you anymore. My only point is that the second dip should be just about anywhere but the 2nd round. If we use the 1st on Hightower, or any other LB. Not saying 100% guaranteed, just I'd be highly inclined to lean that way. It's all just opinions on some level.

4. VanderbiltJets

VanderbiltJets Active Member

Can/would Hightower play 3-4 DE?

5. JohnnyThaJet

JohnnyThaJet Active Member

[YOUTUBE]FshkO8HqQ10[/YOUTUBE]

6. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Well obviously it matters who is there at 16. But there are some scenarios where the Jets would be reaching for whoever they want, not a bad strategy to trade down then trade up in the second with whatever you got it.

It doesn't necessarily have to be two LB's, it could be a combination of players, but I think if the scenario is right, it gives us more value.

I see a lot of posters here saying some players the Jets might be targetting might be slightly high at 16, and some other players the Jets might want won't drop to them in the second.

7. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Not sure if serious...

8. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I don't understand why Hightower has not come in for a visit .... Vinny Curry also

What are the chances they draft a player that has not visited the Jets or worked out for them?

9. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Probably not that good. Hightower is a reach at 16 and I guess the Jets aren't looking to trade back. Someone good will fall to 16 whether its a RT, OLB, WR or DT.

10. Sir

Sir New Member

Take it for what its worth:

Steve (Sayville)

Hey Rich, great Jets coverage! Any interest by the Jets in Dont'a Hightower? Seems to have the front-7 versatility they look for.

Rich Cimini (2:00 PM)

Not at 16.

11. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

Not shooting the messenger here.....but its not like Dick Cimini is in the know. I'd feel more confident hearing that from Manish, or even Belicheat would know more than Dick (but that's cuz squirrely Bill has the Jets offices bugged).

12. Sir

Sir New Member

Note: Post was prefixed with "Take it for what its worth".

13. VanderbiltJets

VanderbiltJets Active Member

not serious

14. Coach K

Coach K New Member

I think Kuechly ends up a panther.

They've had alot of injuries over the last cple years at LBer with thomas davis, jon beason etc etc.

He'd give them prolly the youngest most talented lb corps in the league and one less health issue to worry about.

I just don't see him being available at 16. Id love to have him though