Herm knows his corners....

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by hazmat, Apr 21, 2006.

1. hazmat

hazmat New Member

From the Kansas City Star:

But here’s why I believe Peterson and Kuharich will let Edwards pick a corner in the second or third round rather than the first.

No one in football knows more about what it takes to play corner in the NFL than Edwards. He scouts the position better than anyone, and he coaches the position better than anyone. That’s the advantage of having played the position, worked as a scout and having coached the position.

Edwards picking a corner is the equivalent of putting a blindfold on me, setting eight slabs of ribs on a table and asking me to identify the slab prepared at a Gates. It wouldn’t be fair to call it work.

As much as I’d like to see the Chiefs acquire free-agent corner Ty Law, I have no doubt that Edwards will identify and develop a solid No. 2 corner. It might be someone already on the Chiefs’ roster. Maybe Julian Battle will play up to his physical skills. Or Bennie Sapp will play over his head. Or the Chiefs will draft someone in the second or third round who will step in and contribute right away

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/14391999.htm

2. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

Yeah, Herman really developed a ton of CB talent here at New York. Herm is a hack.

3. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

One thing Herm proved was he was not a talent evaluator, he was a good coach but keep him out of the draft and FA decisions.

4. The Predator

The Predator Active Member

who the hell has he ever turned into a good corener while he was in NY?

beasley?......sucked
    donnie abraham?.......was good in tampa, but dropped off here
    david barrett?.....dont think he helped him improve much

5. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Beasley wasn't bad the 2nd half of his 1st yr here and Donnie was decent but getting old, Barrett played very well in '04.

6. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I remember reading this line of utter BS the year we hired Herm. Herm couldn't scout a Den Mother.

7. hazmat

hazmat New Member

Yeah it's amazing their media loves to play the guy up. He's a complete moron. And more to the point he's completely full of sh$t. He's like a con artist going from city to city swindling people. I hate to say it but him and Isiah Thomas have a lot in common when it comes to not taking responsiblity and doing a horrible job.

8. The Predator

The Predator Active Member

beasley was garbage. couldnt cover, couldnt tackle, couldnt do anything.

donnie, yes, was old, but he was already a good player.

barrett was a decent player already, and continued to be a decent player, with a few good games here and there. i dont think herm had much to do with that, if anyone, it was donnie henderson

#8 The Predator, Apr 21, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2005
  9. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

Herm hit on John Lynch (but not really) and now he's a guru. That's what we were told when he was coming here, and our secondary was pretty average during his tenure. The years where they ranked well statistically, were mainly because our run D sucked so no one bothered passing on us.

10. CT. Jets Fan

CT. Jets Fan New Member

Why would you hate to say it?

You should be screaming it from the mountaintop because this is EXACTLY what needs to be said.

11. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

Herm Edwards took our team the playoffs 3 out the 5 years he was here, its not his fault Pennington keeps getting hurt.Edwards is a great coach.

12. CT. Jets Fan

CT. Jets Fan New Member

And his skills as a great coach are......???????????????????????/

13. Nesquik

Taking a slightly average team to the playoffs
    What do u define a great coach as? What more does he has to do other than take us to the super bowl. Quarterbacks getting hurt,kickers missing field goals, rbs aging.
    Cant blame the coach for that.

14. CT. Jets Fan

CT. Jets Fan New Member

I asked for his SKILLS as a coach. I realize why you would avoid answering that question.

Some points to respond to:

take us to the super bowl..we never got as far as a conference championship game.

kickers missing field goals..by all means, take a knee and BACK UP your kicker to kick a FG in the toughest place to kick in the NFL.

rbs aging..not rbs..RB aging. And carrying the ball 350 times when a 26 year old starting caliber player languished on the bench

By the way..was Barry Switzer a great coach?

15. Kris 15

You can blame him for terrible clock management. Allowing teams with horrible offenses to carve us up while we blow large leads. Getting off to slow starts 4 out of 5 years. Horrible run D 4 out of 5 years. Average secondary play. A conservative offense that left alot to be desired.

But we got into the playoffs on a prayer of a field goal, and wacky tie breakers so I guess the previous 15 weeks didn't matter. Nor does the fact that the team made hardly any improvement from year 1 to year 5, and he actually left us in a much worse shape than we were in when he arrived.

I think Herm is a good coach, but he is FAR from great. And to be honest, he probably wasn't going to take us any further than he has in the last 5 years, and he knew it. So he left before he had the chance to be fired.

16. Nesquik

Ok maybe Herm isnt a great coach but he is definately better then good and by that meaning better than most in the NFL.

17. Wah

Wah Well-Known Member

I can't wait to watch the Chiefs team slowly fall apart over the next few years.

18. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It's not like they have many building blocks. Their whole line is old, Gonzalez is getting old (and had a slow start), Richardson and the receivers are old.

The only position they don't have to worry about on offense is runningback.

Defense they have Derrick Johnson and Allen. Other than that Surtain constantly got burned, and they have no safety over the top.

19. Kris 15

They don't even have Richardson anymore. He signed with the Vikes. Had to be one of the most low key moves this offseason.

20. Welker83

Welker83 New Member

And who did he draft? Where are all these talented Corners? Why did he need to sign Ty Law?

AND He's not the only Ex-Cornerback coach in the nfl..there are others...Saban for example.