Herm again

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Chrisiue, Aug 8, 2017.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Spot on. Being conservative would be the absolutely worst thing the Jets could do and what set Hack/Petty and the Jets' offense up for failure.

boozer32 likes this.
  2. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

LOL! That's exactly what I was going to post before I read your post. Herm had to hire Dick Curl to be clock management coach!

3. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Yeah I never missed Warner Wolf's spot on ABC. Everytime I hear Chris Berman I think about Warner Wolf.

4. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

interesting to see how people look back at good old herm.

i HATED herm. hated him so much i bought one of the shirts that were sold here on this site that said herm must go on it. wore it religiously to the games.

always thought that more folks liked him than disliked him. junc and i would go back and forth for weeks about herm.

all that said, hes right. the point is still to win the game. and with the tools that are left right now the only way you can have a shot to win the game is to never ever ever make any mistakes. so you should expect to see a bunch of hackettesque 3rd and 8s where we run the draw. over and over and over and over again.

5. alleycat9

warner wolf was on cbs when i was a kid. i loved loved loved seeing him coming up on the newscast. back in the days before espn you got your local news sportscaster.

boozer32 likes this.
  6. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

I never thought Herm was a horrible coach. Much of his problems stemmed from Terry Bradway completely gutting the team that Parcells built, and doing stupid shit like trading a 1st round pick for Doug Jolley and using a 2nd rounder on a kicker. Also, Pennington only ever stayed healthy for one full season under Herm. In that year, they got red hot, won the division, and destroyed Payton and the Colts 41-0 in the Wild Card.

I will agree, Herm was WAY too conservative, especially considering how much talent his teams had, with Pennington, Martin, Jordan, Coles, Moss, Chrebet, etc. It did get frustrating watching him so afraid to take chances. But even with that, they played solid, disciplined ball, and they did win games (when they had a healthy QB). I'd take him in an instant over the three coaches who followed him.

Red Menace likes this.
  7. steviep

steviep Active Member

As they say, a broken clock is right twice a day. Herm always says that -- but this time he is right. The defense will not be bad -- in fact they may be very good. If the offense doesnt turn the ball over, and keeps possession -- that is the scenario for winning. I would add that the Jets have run into trouble where they overrate their qbs --- like Sanchez and Fitzpatrick. When both those guys were running the ground and pound (or at least a possession offense) the jets won.

8. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

that is exactly why the AFL was able to pull fans away from the NFL.
    it also is why the NFL, after mocking the AFL as a mickey mouse/ no defense league, was especially
    jubulant after the jets DEFENSE and kc's throttled both the colts and vikings in SB 3 and 4.
    i got goose bumps watching it happen live.

notice how the NFL in the last 10 years modified its rules so it's current league resembles the AFL from the 60's, except they handicapped the defense even more!

NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

i still maintain to this day, that if any other nfl team had gone to SB 1&2, other than vince lombardi's green bay squad , the AFL would have won at least 3/4 and likely all 4.

10. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Same sentiment from me. 2 WR set, here comes the run, 3 WR set here comes a pass. They were so predictable I don't know how they accomplished anything on offense.

He was incredibly conservative, and I understood why, he played the field position game, percentages, at some point your team will get a chance to win the game.

Hackett was partly to blame as well even though Herm could have directed him to open it up on offense, he allowed Hackett to do his job.

11. alleycat9

herm for me was a master of bait and switch, he never really dealt with the fact he sucked as a hc. he simply said crazy shit and people bought it and let him get away scott free for most of his tenure.

he inherited what i thought was a really good team and they underperformed in my eyes. then he proved himself by going to kc and turning them from an over 10 wins team every year into a 4 win team in a short period.

but he was still better than most of what we have had the past decade. but that is the fault of our horrible fo and owner.

12. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Yea that was kind of pathetic. But you know at least Herm understood his clock management was poor and got some help for it. How many other coaches (supposedly smart tacticians like Andy Reid) have had bad clock issues as well. Lots