Here's Why 2017 Won't be So Bad: 2016 was THE WORST

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Jul 12, 2017.

1. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

I would much prefer a top 5 pick... If Hackenberg looks everything like the qb we were hoping for, also hope Bowles proves last year was a total disaster he is putting in the past. These are possibilities, not a sure thing.
    If Hack steps up and claims that spot as his own and shows he can be the guy(I know I know most are hoping he fails) imagine the jets could still get a first overall QUALITY pick because of the QB's taken ahead. I'm thinking like the RB out of Penn State or an OLB. Trading down also an option. Let's face it if Hack shows promise no way will we be 2-14...it's going to be more like 6 wins or more. You can't have decent QB play and lose every game. That's just an f'ed up way of having your cake and eating it to.

2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

IDK i'd beg to differ. winston has had some good games but also some really bad ones. he's very up and down. He also had a decent WR core. mike evans is a top 10 WR in the game. all mariotta has is a TE in walker. Also TB has a better defense and better run game. although landing murray did help him out a lot. if you take out the QBs TB is a much better team then Tenn.

stat wise
    marriota has thrown 45TDs to 19 INTs (over 2 to 1) he also has 6 rushing TDs and a 93.8 QB rating. his comp % is 61.6 which is pretty good as well.

Winston has thrown 50 TDs (he's played 5 more games though so less TDs per game) but has a whopping 33 INTs his completion % is 59.6 (under 60) and QB rating of 85.2

I'd say so far marriota is the better of the 2 and he's had worse WRs.

3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

You failed to include the offensive line and running game of the Titans. Both are top 2 units in the NFL. While Winston has 1 good receiver, he has a lesser line and a less dependable running game so it does go both ways. At times Winston had to throw 50+ times just to keep them in the game.

I say push, but I would prefer Winston who has done about the same with less.

4. GasedAndConfused

in 2015 the bucs were 5th in the NFL in rushing the titans were 25th and that includes marriota's rushing yards too. he has personally run for almost twice as many yards as winston as he is more mobile. you don't have a top 5 rushing attack without a good o-line. in 2015 their top RB was bishop sankey lol

in 2016 the titans fared better thanks to murray. they had the 3rd best rushing attack in the NFL while the bucs fell to 24th.

Winston has been sacked 62 times marriotta 61 (in less games) So marriotta was sacked more per game as well and marriotta saves sacks with his mobility while winston is less mobile and holds onto the ball longer, which inflates his numbers. I'd argue TB has the better o-line. the decline in the run game last year was injury related at RB. doug martin missed a lot of time and only ran for 421 yards and was never healthy. in 2015 he ran for 1400 yards. So one year Winston had a better run game and 1 year marriotta had a better run game. winston is sacked less often (less per game and way less per attempt) and he has the better WR group. I'd say he has a lot more aorund him then mariotta does. especially having evans and they just drafted OJ howard as well

5. 101GangGreen101

I was referring to last season only as they have a year under their belt, rookie years are always a wash. Both were healthy pretty much the entire season last yr. Mariota only played 12 (not 16) games his rookie year. Seems Winston is more dependable to finish a season as well.

Like I said argument goes both ways. No sense in talking about next season when they haven't played a snap yet. Both this season should be very good. However, the Bucs run game is in question.

Like I said before it's a push, but I give the edge to Winston.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  6. GasedAndConfused

fair enough. it's not like we are comparing luck to hackenburg lol. they both show promise for sure. Either way i think as jet fans we'd be happy with either of them which still elads to the point that getting to choose from all the best QBs doens't always mean sucess. shit with our scouting we'd be better off taking whats left and hoping other teams screw up. I don't have much faith in us picking the right QB when given a choice. even the famous 2004 draft, all 3 top QBs panned out, but i would personally take the 3rd one drafted (big ben) over the other 2 and that was the one pitt was left with after SD and NYG got their choices

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  7. 101GangGreen101

110% agreed on that one. The best example you provided was 2014 when Bortles out of no where had his stock rise so quickly post college football season it was insane. Carr was so much better in college. Maybe we already have the right person? If not, if we get a high pick next year with a choice of the 3 qbs, it will be interesting to see who the jets take. Better not choose wrong.

Famous 2004, Big Ben definitely would've warranted discussion. I really liked Rivers as well, played with Cotchery back in NC State.

8. GasedAndConfused

or we could be bad not not so bad another team takes the QB that will be a bust and we get lucky and get the good one lol. Look at all the high pick QB busts.

9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I understand where you're coming from, and I would be happy with a top 5 pick if Hack pans out, but I don't care how well Hack plays, I can't see this team winning 6 or more games. Our schedule is just too tough. I could see maybe 4, or at most 5 games, but not six. Browns, Jags, maybe the Bills 2x, and the Dolphins once. We're not beating anyone else on our schedule. Our OL is too much of a question mark, both of our top RBs are older and could wear down or get injured, our WR corps is too much of a question as is the TE position, and we will have a lot of young players starting.'

I disagree that we could have decent QB play and lose every game. Young teams often have to learn how to win. They often lose games due to rookie mistakes. When one unit is very questionable, this is even more likely. Our D could be a top 15 or top 10 D, but if the offense struggles to get any kind of continuity or put up a lot of points, the Jets could lose a lot of close games. They could hang tough until late in the 4th Qtr., but then because the D was tired, opposing teams could march down the field and get the winning score. It may not be all that likely, but it's certainly possible.

10. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Not a bad argument....So that means quantitys of QBs drafted will somehow produce a winner.? Then we need to draft one every year till one hits ...not a bad idea

The scoop on Sam D and Josh R are that they are scouted as really gifted/nfl ready. Much much better grades tha this years class Now is that hype? Or bad scouting? I would like to find out and eat crow later...look at Hack he was a shaky pick from the get go....now That was bad scouting

JMHO

11. GasedAndConfused

LMAO pretty much yeah. it's an odds game. the more you take, the better chance you have for one to pan out. even with the pats being set with brady they drafted guys like cassell, mallett, and garappolo. we have no QB but still refuse to draft one.

also next years draft is much more talented at QB then this years

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  12. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

The Jets have consistently loaded up on defense every draft e.g. Double drafting in 2017 two DBs It is just stupid Andy Reid was smart enough to take a flyer on the Texas Tech kid

13. GasedAndConfused

Yup we've wasted so many picks on defense and haven't addressed the offense at all. last offensive 1st round pick was sanchez in 2009 and he was a bust, 2008 keller (2nd 1st round pick took gholston with out 1st one) and he was a bust. 2 offensive 1st round picks in the last 10 years (13 picks total) (both busts) and people wonder why our offense has sucked for a decade. we never draft it. the few times we did take offense somewhat high (WR hill 2nd, WR smith 2nd, QB smith) all busts as well