Here's Why 2017 Won't be So Bad: 2016 was THE WORST

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Jul 12, 2017.

1. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Revis, Mangold, Decker, Marshall, Harris, all seem like big names to lose, but they barely did anything last year. Don't let the (5-11) record confuse you, the Jets were much worse than that last year. It was one of the worst seasons ever. Its mid-July and there is no football news so Let's Recap:

Week 1: the Jets played pretty well but blew key moments and lost a game they should have won to Cincy.

Week 2: the best game of the season at Buffalo. Everything clicked and showed the team's potential. Also showed that the defense and secondary wasn't very good. Still felt like tide had turned from Week 17 2015.

Week 3: Everything went to hell. Fitz was an embarrassment in KC. Never recovered. Pathetic game.

Week 4: The Jets played okay in the Seahawks game, but were never good enough.

Week 5: Good for a half, pathetic 2nd half in Pittsburgh.

Week 6: Embarrassing on MNF in Arizona. I would have fired Bowles after. Disgusting to watch.

Week 7: Somehow beat the Ravens, started Geno, Fitz came in, more Ravens bad than Jets good.

Week 8: Same story. The Browns were terrible and the Jets just outlasted them. Horrendous 1st Half.

Week 9: Loss in Miami. Another rare game that the Jets should have won, but blew it.

Week 10: The infamous Rams-9 Jets-6 game. Worst 3 hours of football to watch for any fan of any team.

Week 12: Probably the best played game of the season, Jets hung with the eventual champs but lost 22-17.

Week 13: Another embarrassing MNF 41-10 loss to the Colts. Again I would have fired Bowles after.

Week 14: Powell did a great job, Jets came back to win in SF. I slightly enjoyed this game, loved Petty's effort.

Week 15: Another embarrassment I believe on a Saturday, Miami crushed the Jets as team quit mid-way through.

Week 16: Patriots-41 Jets-3. Enough said. And the 3 was to avoid a shutout, another embarrassing Bowles move.

Week 17: No Rex Ryan, Jets win by 20 to end terrible season.

So looking at that, there is no way the Jets will be worse. The wins might be the same, or slightly worse, but I can't see how the effort or quality of games will be. Plus that was a team coming off 10 wins and had playoffs on their mind. This team might have the lowest expectations of any Jets team in memory, but I think they are actually better than that.

Moving to 2017 here is how I would rank the Jets opponents:

Very tough to win:
    -Patriots twice
    -Raiders

Tough but winnable games:
    -Falcons
    -Buccaneers
    -Panthers
    -Chiefs
    -Broncos
    -Saints
    -Chargers

Winnable Toss-Ups:
    -Bills twice
    -Dolphins twice
    -Jaguars
    -Browns

So in the end, I think Jets fans will enjoy 2017 much more than 2016. Time will tell though. Thoughts?

2. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I definitely agree with the names lost far outweighing the production lost. That said, short of some unexpected inspired QB play, I don't see the Jets having a path to improving on last year's record. Again to one of your points, still should be a better year to watch at least.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The Dark Knight likes this.
  3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Winnable Toss-Ups are the only games I see the Jets winning.

Tough but winnable games:
    -Falcons
    -Buccaneers
    -Panthers
    -Chiefs
    -Broncos
    -Saints
    -Chargers

I cant see the Jets winning any of these outside of the Chargers game

JETS1116, JetLifeLo, GWjet and 4 others like this.
  4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

It's the NFL though, so I could see the Jets winning a couple of those games. Especially if they get any kind of positive QB play from Hackenberg.

5. Glenn G

Glenn G Member

Until we know if either Hack or Petty can be a serviceable NFL QB, We could very well go 1 or 2 wins this season.

6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Agreed, but I see them only splitting, at best, the Winnable-Toss-Ups.

7. ColoradoContrails

Good summary and analysis. I agree that the Jets will probably win 4-6 games this year, and actually be better than last year if only from much better effort and coaching (aside from the HC). But overall, I don't see much improvement, and comparing them to last year's team is setting a really low bar. They could just as easily implode if all/most of the new blood plays like the inexperienced and cast offs they are, and Bowles doesn't improve significantly. And especially if they don't actually have an NFL-caliber QB on the roster, which is still a major question mark.

I always root for them to win, but after 54 years, I'm pretty pessimistic about them every becoming a winning organization.

8. 101GangGreen101

That's going to be key, if he's the reason they are winning 5 or so games, then he's going to be the guy going forward.

9. 101GangGreen101

I see them splitting the Bills / Dolphins games for sure. Jags and Browns are games I think the Jets will win.

10. ColoradoContrails

Very possible, but I have a bad feeling about the Browns game...they're due.

11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I like the first part of your post, and basically agree.

Where I differ is on the above.

I would rank the 2017 games as follows.

One is dreaming if he thinks we can win:
    Patriots
    Raiders
    Falcons
    Panthers
    Chiefs
    Broncos

Not bloody likely, but possibly winnable games:
    Buccaneers
    Saints
    Chargers
    Dolphins

Winnable games:
    Bills
    Jaguars
    Browns

NYJetsO12 and The Dark Knight like this.
  12. NCJetsfan

I can't see the Jets beating the Dolphins at all. The Jags and Browns are the only two games on the schedule where I think the Jets have a very good chance to win. I think the Bills games will be tossups. It depends upon who good their new CS is and how much their draft picks contribute.

tbruner12 likes this.
  13. ColoradoContrails

You might be right, but stepping back from W/L record, do you think the Jets will be better this year? And by "better", I mean that they show they have a foundation to build forward upon. Or are we looking at another wasted year?

14. NCJetsfan

Yes, I think they'll be better. Even though there will be rookie mistakes and some inconsistency as a result of all the young players, I think the team will play harder, with more energy and a sense of urgency, and I think we will see a lot from some of our young players about which we can get very excited. I think that Adams is going to be a star in this league from day one. If Maye is half as good as Adams our secondary will look a lot better. I think Burris is going to be a pleasant surprise and play at a high level. I think Lee will show improvement and will contribute a lot more. I think Mo will have a huge bounce-back season. I'm not saying he will, but I think Dylan Donohue has a chance to bring a lot of excitement and pressure on opposing QBs. I think ASJ is going to have a great season and Leggett could make some big contributions. If Beachum is healthy and can return to his previous form, I think the OL will be a lot better than people think, and our offense could be a lot better and more fun to watch.

This year will only be wasted if Bowles insists on starting McCown all season (if he stays healthy), and the Jets don't find out once and for all what they have in Hack and Petty.

TonyFtLaud and hwismer like this.
  15. ColoradoContrails

I hope your assessment proves true.

16. NCJetsfan

Me too! LOL

17. 101GangGreen101

We will split, they aren't that good of a team. They are my most hated team and I refuse to believe they will sweep us again

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

18. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

First off good summary of last year by the Dark Knight. Nicely done.
    My take going into this year is very simple.
    1- we will be better and much more fun to watch than last year. That much I can feel in my bones.
    2- of course that will not translate into number of wins, but it will translate into the team jelling as a unit as the year progresses, and bring hope into 2018 instead of desperation
    3- last year was an unwatchable series of abominations starting with Fitz and ending with a defense that quit half way through the season.
    4- unlike other posters here I feel that no matter what, the QB position can not possibly be worst than last year. The old guy can not be any worse than Fitz, And if Hack surpasses Petty last years performance is also a plus. In fact, if Petty gets a bit better than last year is already a better scenario than 2017
    5- there is absolutely no way we can be worse than last year defensively. Matter of fact I believe we will be significantly better
    6- It will take a miracle to beat the better teams like NE, Atlanta and the like, but how competitive we can be will reside IMHO with two key individuals and the progress they are able to make. Hacks ability to control the game and not make too many rookie mistakes, and Bowles ability to coach this young team and put them in a position to excel.
    My biggest concern is not how often will we get beat by better personnel but how often will we get out coached causing a loss.

#18 LAJet, Jul 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  19. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Sep. 10 [​IMG] at Buffalo Bills
    LOSS 0-1

Sep. 17 [​IMG] at Oakland Raiders
    LOSS 0-2

Sep. 24 [​IMG] Miami Dolphins
    LOSS 0-3

Oct. 1 [​IMG] Jacksonville Jaguars
    WIN 1-3

Oct. 8 [​IMG] at Cleveland Browns
    2018 DRAFT BOWL: AT CLEVELAND
    LOSS 1-4

Oct. 15 [​IMG] New England Patriots
    LOSS 1-5

Oct. 22 [​IMG] at Miami Dolphins
    LOSS 1-6

Oct. 29 [​IMG] Atlanta Falcons
    LOSS 1-7

Nov. 2 [​IMG] Buffalo Bills
    WIN 2-7

Nov. 12 [​IMG] at Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    LOSS 2-8

Nov. 26 [​IMG] Carolina Panthers
    LOSS 2-9

Dec. 3 [​IMG] Kansas City Chiefs
    LOSS 2-10

Dec. 10 [​IMG] at Denver Broncos
    LOSS 2-11
    Dec. 17 [​IMG] at New Orleans Saints
    LOSS 2-12
    Dec. 24 [​IMG] Los Angeles Chargers
    WIN 3-12
    Dec. 31 [​IMG] at New England Patriots
    LOSS 4-12

Peebag, TonyFtLaud, Jets69 and 3 others like this.
  20. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

We're going to lose to the Pats Week 17 but somehow improve to 4-12 to kill our draft position? Sounds about right.