Here's my only reason for keeping Bowles 1 more year

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by sackexchange, Dec 18, 2016.

1. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

No coach worth his salt is going to coach here next year with the talent this team has and the fact that there is virtually no hope of landing a franchise QB via draft or Free Agency. We could be looking at another 4-5 win season next year or worse with our existing team.

If the Jets do tank next year and there is a better QB draft class in 2018, that makes for a much better situation for a quality HC to come into. Not sure how much better the QB class is in 2018 but it can't be much worse than 2017!

iJet likes this.
  2. barkus

barkus Well-Known Member

Was thinking along similar lines. Just let Toilet putz around another year. Bring in another draft class, cut the overpaid vets, continue to rebuild. When team ready to compete bring in a real coach.

3. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Just make sure you're bringing in an expendable FA Qb rental to take the pounding in 2017.

4. Sandman

Sandman Well-Known Member

He looked very down on himself in the press conference yesterday. I have heard that he is a good friend to players but maybe he is learning a lot about them and the staff at this current time.

no all new Head coaches can start out well. They have to learn and get better. Plenty of examples of coaches who tanked their first job and got better. BB and pete Carroll are two off the top of my head.

But. I would like to see him become a bit tougher. He needs to get in a new special teams coach. Think about replacing both the line coach and the defensive co-ordinator. In short he needs to grow some.

The choices out there are not good. But if we can improve one side of he ball we can improve. I cant see us fixing the special teams, secondary and the offence in one off season. I would like to see us build a strong offensive line. So we can carry an average QB. We have good receivers and some good backs.

The D could pick up with some decent corners.

Walt White likes this.
  5. jetfannerd

jetfannerd Trolls

Give them one more year and then clean house

6. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

The problem with that theory is we are not going to be any better position talent wise after next season.
    We are never going to get a Gruden or Cowher type of name to come here and just about everyone else will jump at the chance to take a job that only 32 people in the world get to have.

You don't keep a guy around another year knowing you are going to fire him.
    If you believe he could be the guy and turn it around you keep him, once you feel he is not you have to cut bait.

7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

The best thing I can say about Bowles is that MAYBE in his next HC gig he'll apply all the lessons he was given in this gig. But he's lost the team, that much is clear.

Of course this mess isn't all his fault. It starts with the owner, and Macc has to accept some blame too, but in his case he should be given a chance to hire his own HC and CS and have full authority over them. I also firmly believe that the Jets need a VP/Pres. of Football Operations to oversee the building of a winning culture - a Coughlin or someone of that stature would be ideal. And if that were to happen, I would defer to his decision on keeping/firing Macc.

8. twown

twown Well-Known Member

if I were a head coach and had the choice of taking over a 4-12 team needing a complete overhaul or a medicocre team with no vision and a lame duck coach, I would personally take the 4-12 situation. That way you're not stumbling into someone else's lame project. You're not locked into any bad contracts. You're starting from scratch.

Then again... who am I kidding. What difference does it make with this team. Lol

iJet and NCJetsfan like this.
  9. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

You mean you'd disregard the stellar job Neil Glat has done for this organization? Shame on you sir!!!

10. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Bowles is an idiot

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Yep. He may of had an epiphany on his own mistakes. If he gets more time he might be able to learn from them and correct them.
    He prolly assumed that a lot of people were capable of being accountable like he is and put too much trust in them. And that's just not the way it is, with this group anyway. Last year may have given him a false sense of security.

It reminds me of when Parcells took over over the Giants, and after his first season he dropped the hammer, on everybody.

TB needs to drop the hammer and if a guy like Sheldon does't like you eject his ass. TB was very passive in the way he dealt with these guys in the end I'd say. There's no negotiating.

That doesn't mean TB will be a good HC, but at least he won't be undermined by a core of people that do not care about him and are not accountable also.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  12. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

Fire Bowles after the season. If you're going to keep him, then you have to be all-in with him. There is no point to keeping him around as a lame duck. There will be an out of work coach who will happily take this job. There is never a shortager of coordinators, although I hope to God we don't go there.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. ColoradoContrails

My bad. (Not!)

14. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

This argument is always wrong

There are 32 NFL head coaching jobs in the world and there are tons of qualified guys that would love a shot at it

The Jets will have a top pick and I personally think Watson could be a franchise QB

Regardless you're dead wrong if you think good coaches won't come here

Ralebird, cgrec and NCJetsfan like this.
  15. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

There is no reason to keep Bowles after this season. By keeping him, especially just as a one-year lame duck, it's just flushing next season down the toilet before it even begins. That's not to say that we're going to do anything next year, because we're not, but the new coach could have the opportunity to begin installing his system and getting the players acclimated to it by the time the team is ready to do something.

Zero reason to keep Bowles. Zero.

16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree. If you were a HC and looking for a new gig, would you want to go to a team that already had a bunch of players that fit a system that was maybe different from yours and thus not have a lot of say on personnel, or a team where you would have a chance to build it and have a big say in personnel? There is young talent on the team. If all the older vets are cut, the Jets will have around 55 million in cap space. There are two young QBs who have a ton of talent. They need work and are still projects, but there's potential. In such a situation, you'd probably be given 2-3 years to build a winner. There'd be no pressure. If you were a skilled teacher and knew how to develop players, then it would be great. You could build the team in your image, shape them the way you wanted, and not have a bunch of cynical vets who possibly wouldn't listen or buy into your approach.

If Petty doesn't develop and improve during the offseason and next season, the Jets would almost certainly be looking at a top 3 draft pick, and they would have a chance to grab their QB of the future if Hack hadn't shown enough.

IMO any HC who would want to go to a situation that already had pretty much everything in place is somewhat lazy. Besides, teams that have everything in place, generally aren't looking for new HCs. The teams that are looking for new HCs are the ones who don't have their franchise QB or are having to try to rebuild their roster. New York is the biggest stage in the country. Any HC who can go there and build a winner would become famous, beloved, and could name his price.

17. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Bowles ain't going nowhere. We know Woody's mantra by now. I'd take a look at Foles or Keenum in FA (shouldn't be too costly) and see if we can even salvage a decent team next year.

If shit bottoms out next year, then it's all about tanking for Lamar Jackson or Rosen in 2018.

18. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Flawed logic. Without the right HC, a team won't be ready to compete because the young players won't get developed. Let the new HC help develop and shape the roster, and develop the young players and get them ready to compete.

19. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

I disagree. There's a ton of experienced HC's and up and coming coordinators that would love to start from almost scratch his team. In this case, the desperate need for change trumps the need for continuity....

20. ColoradoContrails

Why should Bowles and the rest of the CS be allowed to do any more harm to the young players? Get someone in here who knows how to develop players, and the sooner the better.