Help with a Steeler rumor.

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Pam, Feb 23, 2006.

1. Pam

Pam TGG.com Friendliest Poster Fourpeat!!

Hey gang, the Hubby came home and asked if I heard about Randell El possibly going to Chicago. The way he's acting, you would think the world is ending. :rolleyes:

I can't find anything anywhere on this. I checked main site, si and nfl. Nada.

2. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Yes, that is a rumor. Apparantly he is from the area and his family and friends want him to go there to be closer with them and he is seriously considering it. Personally I don't know why Chicago needs him. Justin Gage is going to be a stud

3. Pennythetowelboy

Pennythetowelboy New Member

that would be a nice pick up for the bears. I think that would put them ahead of the giants and skins in the NFC.

4. F Miami

F Miami Active Member

The Steelers would be silly to let him go. He's a hell of an offensive weapon.

5. IneedJesus

IneedJesus New Member

I think Randle El is so OVER-RATED. Look at his stats: 35 558 15.9 63 1. He only had 35 catched and one touchdown. He isnt that good at all.

He is just getting hyped up cause the Steelers won the superbowl. If the Steelers had not made the playoffs and he put up those numbers do you think he'd be getting so much attention? In my opinion I dont think he would be.

Some team is going to way overpay off of his reputation. And it will probably be Chicago, if the Steelers let him hit free agency.

6. JHTJ

JHTJ New Member

No it wouldn't. IMO the Bears Overachieved this year and I expect them to return to their 6-10 form next season.

7. Murrell2878

overachieved....yes, return to 6-10 no. That division is pretty weak, and I think with their defense and Lovie Smith they'll make a good playoff run

8. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

:rofl2: their best wr (mushin) is really old and isn't the greatest, their #2 is just BAD...i saw lotsa bear games the past few years...

why would he go to chic?...

1.Family
    2.He can be an impact WR
    3.He can be a surprise QB
    4.The Bears have a great D already, they're almost a "for real" team
    5.He's been stuck in Steelerland as #2 or 3 WR for awhile....he could challenge for #1 once Mushin retires soon

9. JHTJ

JHTJ New Member

They're still the Bears. You were probably saying the same thing following their 13-3 season, I know I was.

10. Murrell2878

Justin Gage is NOT just bad. He really is good, has great size and great hands.

11. Duk Dodgers

Duk Dodgers Active Member

Justin Gage .... LOL. Mark Bradley took Gage's spot as no.2 wr before getting injured for the year. If anyone is going to man the wr spot opposite of Mushin, its going to be Mark Bradley.

12. Pam

Hey thanks guys. Even IF that happens they still have Hines Ward. Hubby's still all worked up. Steeler fans are soooo emotional! :rolleyes: :lol:

13. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

You shuold see some of the Jet fans I know... emotional is an under-statement

Ellis

14. Pam

What?! Emotional JETS fans? No Way! :rofl:
    I always thought we were a pretty calm bunch.

15. Pam

Steelers likely to lose some free agents
    Colbert says Steelers can't re-sign everyone, face salary cap issues for '06
    Thursday, February 23, 2006

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Take a good look at that Super Bowl XL team picture because it's about to change.

The Steelers would love to keep their NFL championship team intact and sign all of their players who will become free agents a week from tomorrow, Kevin Colbert said yesterday. It's just not realistic.

Unrestricted (players are free to sign anywhere and club does not retain any rights to him): QB Charlie Batch, RB Verron Haynes, DE Brett Keisel, LB Clint Kriewaldt, WR Lee Mays, WR Quincy Morgan, WR Antwaan Randle El, CB Deshea Townsend, TE Jerame Tuman, DE Kimo von Oelhoffen.

Restricted (club maintains right to match any deal provided it makes a qualifying offer): WR Sean Morey, CB Ike Taylor.

Exclusive rights (club maintains exclusive rights provided it makes a qualifying offer): RB Willie Parker, LB James Harrison, DE Shaun Nua.

"We're not going to sign everyone," said Colbert, the team's director of football operations who arrived in Indianapolis yesterday to prepare for the start of the annual NFL combine workouts. "We may have to move on without some of the players who helped us win a championship. That's the way the game is today."

The Steelers have talked to all 10 of their impending unrestricted free agents and their two restricted free agents. Some negotiations are ongoing. But, Colbert said, the Steelers will have to make moves before March 3 to get under the new salary cap, which is expected to be around $95 million for each team.

Even that is unsettled because the players association and NFL management are working to try to extend the collective bargaining agreement set to expire after the 2007 season. If they do not, there will be uncertainty about how much to pay players because the signing bonuses can only be pro-rated over four years, not six.

"We're anticipating having cap issues once that final number is determined," Colbert said.

The Steelers aren't likely to make much of an attempt to sign anyone else's free agents, at least not any big ones such as Baltimore running back Jamal Lewis, who yesterday expressed a desire to sign with the Steelers after he becomes a free agent March 3 ("Bill Cowher has always complimented me whenever we played them," Lewis told the Baltimore Sun.)

"Just looking at our history, we never have been [real active] and I don't think we'll change from that," Colbert said. "We don't anticipate that. We'd like to get as many of our own guys back as we can, and add to it as necessary, and then go to the draft and get players that way also."

Colbert would not speculate as to which players the team might sign or lose. Wide receiver Antwaan Randle El should be their most desirous free agent.

"Nobody knows at this point," Colbert said. "Obviously other teams cannot contact a player until it starts, so you don't know where the market's going to be. I can look at it collectively and say we'd like to get all of them back; realistically I don't think it's possible. We haven't eliminated anybody. Who's to say we won't sign one guy?

"I'm serious when I say we'd love to have everybody back. To a man, our free agents all want to stay. Now it's a matter of can we do it? It is unrealistic to think we can get everybody back."

The Steelers likely will release quarterback Tommy Maddox next Friday. They also want to reduce center Jeff Harting's $4 million salary before they must pay him an additional $750,000 roster bonus by March 8. Cornerback Willie Williams, who played little last season, probably will go to save his $1,235,000 salary. And, of course, Jerome Bettis' retirement will wipe his $5,351,000 salary from their books.

The Steelers will issue their two restricted free agents qualifying offers early next week to protect their rights to them. Although the league has not yet announced the required amounts, cornerback Ike Taylor likely will be offered the one-year tender of about $1.7 million and special teams captain Sean Morey will be offered a lower amount. The Steelers could match any contract another team might give to either restricted free agent, or, in Taylor's case, decline and receive a first-round draft pick in return. The Steelers expect both restricted players to stay.

Even though defensive end Kimo von Oelhoffen turned 35, they want him back, both for his level of play and his leadership. They also want Duce Staley to fill the role Jerome Bettis played last season as the backup halfback to Willie Parker.

"Obviously, we achieved the ultimate reward," Colbert said of the Steelers Super Bowl victory. "You're definitely happy where you are, but you're also realistic knowing it's going to change.

"It's our challenge to maintain that, however we have to do it through free agency and the draft."

16. NY Vilmaniac

NY Vilmaniac New Member

he could be just as good as hines ward if he wanst stuck behind him

the only reason his numbers arent that good are because hes behind hines and they run almost 2 times as much as they pass

i tihnk itd be a huge pickup for chicago

hed be their best qb, lol

17. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Tell him to go smoke a pipe. His team just won the Super Bowl. Who cares if their third best WR and best passer leaves via free agency?

18. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I beg to differ. Hines Ward is an elite receiver in the NFL, although many do not allow him that title. His work ethic is flawless and it translates well to his game on the field. He has concentration that rivals that of Wayne Chrebet, and hands that rival Randy Moss. And I've seen him take hits that would break Randle El in half. He is one of the most complete receivers in the NFL, and he continues to be overlooked because he isn't 6'0".

I just don't see that at all from Randle El. I think he would disappear as a #1 WR.

19. jetsaholic1094

jetsaholic1094 New Member

You should tell him there are rumors, regardless if that's true or not. That ought to fuel his paranoia, and make him fret for a couple weeks, too. Frickin' Steelers.

20. Pam

Excellent! I would give my left um toe to have that kind of quality receiver. Randell El is a great returner but not #1 WR IMO. Hines is all that.