Happy Super Sunday Everyone

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by forevercursed, Feb 4, 2018.

1. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

For the 49th consecutive year, the New York Jets will not be participating

In order to have any recollection of 1969 you'd probably have to be about 56-57 right about now. I really just have no idea how this would even feel. Winning a Championship Game, the euphoria and drunken revelling. And just having that high, that joy for the coming two weeks as the game builds up. We'd be a national story and a positive one for once. Preparing for huge parties at home, getting the champagne...some of us would be making pilgrimages to the game. There's no drug in the world that could replicate what it would feel like for those two weeks.

Doesn't it seem impossible? I have no clue how it could even happen. Seeing the Jets run out onto the field in the Super Bowl would be like seeing aliens land. I always knew that I'd see the Cubs and Red Sox win one before seeing the Jets even play in one. Wasn't even all that surprise. Heck we packed more heartbreak in 49 years than the Cubs in 108 or however long it was.

Maybe it will happen again one day...though unfortunately most of us here will be wormfood by then. Maybe our children and grandchildren will enjoy it and put a Jets helmet on our graves in memory.

I tell my Eagles fan friends to cherish this like it's your wedding day or the birth of a child. We're not darling franchises who get all the calls or are allowed to play by our own rules or have luck. You may never see this again.

Welp, happy Super Sunday. Now let's hunker down for the decades of misery ahead

2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Super Bowl Sunday has lost all real meaning. Like New Years Eve, it's just an excuse for "amateurs" to party.

I know I'll be labeled a grouchy OLD man, but honestly, after the AFL and NFL merged, the Super Bowl died. Maybe that's why the Jets have been cursed ever since, like Moses, having taken his people to the edge of the Promised Land but wasn't allowed to enter, Joe Namath and the Jets took their "people", the rest of the AFL, to the Promised Land of "respectability", the NFL, but were doomed to never be allowed to enter.

Enjoy the party.

NYJetsO12 and westiedog1 like this.
  3. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

From the start of the Combines to the opening of the football season, it's all about hoping your team will make it to this day, even if you're a Jet fan. I will enjoy the game because it will be the last for a while. Am rooting for the Eagles because of Foles. Always thought he was a good player and hoped the Jets would sign him last year. Besides, Brady has enough rings. Wishing everyone an enjoyable evening whatever you do.

NYJetsO12 and CotcheryFan like this.
  4. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

fingers crossed the Patriots lose - partly because I hate the pats but mainly because I just want someone other than the usual suspects to get a win - its been a long time since I felt motivated enough to stay up to watch a SB

NY Jets68, westiedog1 and Brook! like this.
  5. Longislandjetfan

Longislandjetfan Active Member

You gotta have hope in life that one day it’ll be our day it’s what keeps me going as a fan of this team. Through all the good and bad with the Jets (Mostly bad) I’ve stuck with them and I still have the hope one day it’ll happen for us. Some days are less optimistic then others but I really believe we will get there and when we do I’m not quite sure how I’ll feel but it’ll be the most satisfying moment I’ll ever experience in my life. As for today’s game I’m rooting for the Eagles to win it as I feel in a way they are similar to us in they’ve had a lot of bad times over the years and I’m sure there are some decent eagle fans out there who also always held onto that hope there team would win and today is there day to have that satisfying moment in there lives.

6. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

This is really the single most brilliant explanation I've ever seen regarding the happenings of the past 49 years. It all makes sense now

7. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I’m in Hawaii and it’s pouring. Storm has the satellite TVs out.

Plans to watch SB on beach are foiled.

/firstworldproblems

8. Theres nothing happy about super bowl Sunday for jet fans.Just a reminder of the misery that was & the misery yet to come..

Wish I knew why I bothered anymore.Its hopeless

ColoradoContrails and NYJetsO12 like this.
  9. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

I have to say, when it comes to something as truly meaningless as NFL football, doing what makes you happy seems to me to be pretty good advice. If watching the Super Bowl makes you sad or angry I would suggest not watching it. And if being a Jets fan truly will result in decades of misery I would strongly urge you to stop being one.

It's a freaking football team, people. If I didn't get enough pleasure from watching and caring about a sports team, even when they are unsuccessful, I would stop watching and caring about them. Indeed, I have done exactly that at various times in my life with various teams I rooted for, which is why I find looking down on people who aren't "loyal fans" also ridiculous. Save your loyalty for people and institutions that warrant and deserve it. A sports team sure as hell isn't one of those things. Be a sports fan if on balance it brings something positive to your life, and stop if it doesn't.

Dierking and westiedog1 like this.
  10. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

I love closely contested Super Bowls, and I expect another one to be close involving the Pats. I enjoy watching a game that goes down to the wire more so than a blowout. No matter what happens, I'm glad to be alive to witness something as historical as a player and coach going to their 8th Super Bowl together. We likely won't ever see that duplicated again. Hope the Eagles can pull off the upset.

Hope everyone enjoys their day today, and stays safe.

westiedog1 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  11. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Some beautiful heart felt previous Posts from all the diehards: Kurt, Westie, Longsuffering and Contrails ...bravo to you all

Myself ? I am at a serious Crossroads with this team ..almost on the verge of depression and like stat has mentioned why watch another SB if it saddens you...depending on the Off Season and Draft Day decisions by this FO ...I am seriously considering marking 50 Fan years as my exit stage right

OTOH ,This year is a lot different because I have a Ray of Hope that perks my enthusiasm..

My wife's family are all from Philadelphia and my father in law (who would give you the shirt off his back) must be so pleased watching the Eagles from Heaven.. :)

Plus Phillie has not been to a SB in 13 years so as a Jet Fan that certainly strikes an emotional cord

In Foles we TRust!!! and May the Schwartz be With Us!

westiedog1 and playtowinthegame like this.
  12. footballfundamentals

footballfundamentals Well-Known Member

Doug Peterson will be the MVP

13. footballfundamentals

footballfundamentals Well-Known Member

Yes I am an expert.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  14. Brandon Moore's Butt

Brandon Moore's Butt Active Member

It is now.

Cman68 and NY Jets68 like this.
  15. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Made up for the God awful commericials.

16. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

I thought they were better in the second half, but were mostly pretty bad.

But sorry, by far the worst thing was the halftime show. That was the most boring piece of garbage I've seen since they used to use marching bands for the show. We had 15 people, both men and women, at the SB party I attended, and everyone thought it was just awful.

17. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

Agree about the halftime show. The acoustics were absolutely horrible! Also, my girlfriend commented on that outfit Timberlake was wearing as being atrocious. It looked like someting someone lost in the woods for a month wood be have on.

18. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

Was happy to see a long suffering fan base finally win the big one, and of course a Pats loss is always nice

We'll get there one day again....Pats stranglehold on the East is just about over and we have a decent foundation going into a very big off season

Shit, we were one good half of football away 3 teams since 98 and that's more than a lot of teams can say in that time period

Just keep the faith

19. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh

20. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

For those who didn't read my post in the NFL forum, here goes again.

Congratulations are in order for the Eagles for the win.

As usual even in a high scoring game, defense wins Super Bowls. The strip sack of Brady by Graham was big and the Patriot defense did not have a good game in general.

Some Patriot fans will probably complain about the Zach Ertz TD. But I agree with the officials he was in the act of running. The Pats fans will probably complain even more about the Corey Clement TD which did appear he was bobbling the ball. To these fans all I can say is if the Patriots defense did their job on that play it would not have been an issue. On a close game calls might not go your way, that's reality. Besides I would tell them lets not all be crybabies like all the other loser NFL fans.

The offensive line of the Eagles is the reason they won. Foles had no pressure hardly on him and that is the real reason they won. They definitely won the line of scrimmage. This was a crazy Patriot Super Bowl game and as they say some team had to win. It was a close game and the Eagles won. Had the Patriots defense showed up they would have clearly won this game, but it is what it is.

HomeoftheJets likes this.