Hackenberg - interesting take

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Mar 25, 2018.

1. bigbucks24

bigbucks24 Active Member

You don't think Bronco fans are pissed about the Lynch selection? I think you are seeing so much more because you read NY Jets news and read a NY Jets board. Go read orangemane.com. They are roasting Elway. Some are even suggesting firing the great John Elway. The great QB has picked Osweiler, Lynch and Siemian. Not a good QB in the bunch. And he's pissing away a great defense on shit QBs.

2. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Shame that lol

3. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

I was talking about in the mainstream NFL media - not fan boards

an example I read today on nfl.com when talking about QB classes since 2000 when they get to 2016 " Paxton Lynch is a chilling enigma, while Cody Kessler is embedded as a milquetoast backup in Jacksonville. The Jets have a lot of explaining to do after swinging on Christian Hackenberg in the second round, only to hide him away in the NFL's version of the witness protection program. He's a strong candidate for release come training camp."

Lynch merits 6 words - Hackenburg gets an essay!

#123 JetsUK, Apr 24, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    ukjetsfan likes this.
  4. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

I'm always going to maintain that Mac panicked and picked Hack because people were calling for Mac to be fired/killed when he didn't take Lynch in the first. So he takes a QB in the second hoping that quiets the mob.

5. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

Hackenburg was being lined up as our 1st round pick in early mocks so probably looked like a steal in the 2nd

6. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

I don't recall a single mock by a professional that had Hack going Round 1.

JetsNation06 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  7. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Nah, I doubt that

8. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

not sure what you would class as a professional (other than Kiper!) and hard to find now as either gone, behind pay walls or you only have the latest version after he started to slide but here are a couple:

NFL.com - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...rround-mock-draft-30-hackenbergobrien-reunion
    Sporting News - http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/new...ff-hackenberg-lynch/xpjjnv2opkco1hiytdggm8ii9

edit: I may have imagined the "our 1st round pick" but early on in the process he was certainly being seen as a potential 1st rounder even after his final season

Walt White and LF911SC like this.
  9. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

The Hackenberg pick defys logic ...all the PSU fans HATED him and his stats were completely suspect

Mac did NO research here just listened to Obrien

JetsNation06 and Peebag like this.
  10. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

No he wasn't.

11. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

As much as people ballyhoo completion percentage as a useful stat, you look at Hackenberg's numbers and see steady regression from slightly unacceptable to completely unacceptable.

I personally like to see a college prospect's numbers like a stock investment: show me steady consistent growth. Hackenberg would have failed that test. Allen fails that test now.

There is more to it than this obviously. Jackson passes this test, despite having an unacceptable percentage, while Darnold fails it while having a very acceptable percentage.

In Hackenberg's case: downward trend AND unacceptable percentage = bad prospect.

12. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

He could've taken Dak Prescott, Cody Kessler, Connor Cook, or Jacoby Brissett. But instead he went with the one guy who can't even run a halfway decent preseason offense.

Cman68, NYJetsO12 and boozer32 like this.
  13. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Or he made a bad pick and because he is the GM he keeps said prospect on roster to boost his resume. Macc has only 1 pick that he's made in 3 years not on the roster and that is Jarvis Harrison. Devin Smith should be cut and Stewart should not have made the roster last year, and Hackenberg should have never been picked.

HomeoftheJets and NYJetsO12 like this.
  14. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Nonsensical pick by Macagnan...prob influenced by the dirty hands of Blowes who insisted we draft "D" first round and leave Mac to pick the hot garbage QBs from rounds 2 and 3

boozer32 likes this.
  15. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

I would be surprised if Hackenberg isn't on the roster through the fourth and final Preseason game against the Eagles.

After that, it's anyone's guess.

I think Petty is moved over this weekend or released shortly thereafter.

themorey and FJF like this.
  16. xxedge72x

I don't think Hackenberg or Petty are moved until the end of the preseason. I think both will be kept to compete with each other for Bridgewater's spot, while Bridgewater is competing with his own body. If Bridgewater wins that battle, then Petty and Hackenberg both simultaneously go bye bye, unless McCown or the rookie got seriously hurt.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. NotSatoshiNakamoto

lol!

What do you think he was in the war room reading TGG for advice? Holy shit.

LF911SC likes this.
  18. MurrellMartin

I could see that happening too, I'm just hopeful they'd rather cut ties with either CH or BP and bring in a UDFA if they feel the need to have 5 QB's in MiniCamp.

19. xxedge72x

I don't really see the point of a UDFA though when we've already made the investment in those two. One or both could still end up on the practice squad (I don't know the current PS rules well enough to know if Petty still qualifies), they both at least have the physical talent to compete, and the coaches know these guys. There is value in all that.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. MurrellMartin

Petty doesn't qualify, Hackenberg does.

Petty has proven he is not a starter in this league and not a very good QB2 either. I don't think there's any reason to keep him here, but that's just my opinion.