Greg Williams uses 4-3 is Ferrell our choice at #3

Discussion in 'Draft' started by AlexJETS, Jan 15, 2019.

1. AlexJETS

AlexJETS Well-Known Member

CLELIN FERRELL, DE, CLEMSON
    Most figured the uber-talented Ferrell would declare for the draft after a dominant 2017 season, but he stormed back to Death Valley with a phenomenal third year. At 6' 4" and 265 pounds, Ferrell is a physical beast with nice touch and instincts around the line. On inside running plays, he quickly springs himself from the edge to the interior to stuff the rush, and he thoroughly monitors plays as they develop.

Moreover, Ferrell’s hand fighting expertise is at the top of his class. He can play with no hands, one hand or two hands in the ground, making him a solid fit in a 4–3 or 3–4 scheme. That being said, he sometimes stands a bit too tall in his pursuit. It would be a bonus to get him to duck and weave more around blockers, but this versatile hulk of an edge rusher will impact any NFL defense.

2. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

I really like Clelin Ferrell. He probably lacks the athleticism we're used to seeing out of Top 5 defensive line selections, but he more than makes up for it with polish, a relentless motor and 3 years worth of production against stiff competition at a top-tier program. He's a winner and would be a great fit as a strong-side DE in Gregg Williams' system.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  3. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Most teams employ what is considered their base defense less than 40% of the time. Quit worrying so much about 43 or 34 and just judge the talent of the player. I would not take Ferrell over Allen no matter the system.

4. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Can Ferrell play the triangle?

5. SettlerDawg

SettlerDawg Well-Known Member

Nah, Josh Allen or Rashan Gary

6. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

Wouldn't hate that pick.

7. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Rashan Gary is an interior defensive tackle at the next level.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  8. SettlerDawg

SettlerDawg Well-Known Member

He can play DT or DE.

9. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

But he’s not a top talent at DE .. I wouldn’t want him anywhere near the top ten of this draft.

10. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

I'd rather sign a guy like Ford and draft Quinnen Williams. Ford, Williams, and Big Cat would be a nice pass rush.

almbleamal and AlexJETS like this.
  11. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Agreed, he's overrated. I'm not a fan at #3.

12. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Picking at #3 we will have a shot at either Bosa, Allen or Williams, the best 3 defensive players in this draft. If a team trades up to get a QB at 1 or 2, even better.

People wanting Ferrell or Gary at # 3 is crazy. I'm not a Ferrell fan, I don't see a lot of consistent hustle from him when the offensive play is extended or not on his side of the field. Seems to take off plays and stops pursing when solidly engaged by an O lineman, I want relentless players.

#12 WW85, Jan 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
    jilozzo, almbleamal and Harpua like this.
  13. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

I've been trying to think of a recent pass rusher I would compare him to and this hit me as a Carlos Dunlap description of his play. Both were highly touted and fell off later, Dunlap had a horrible combine and DUI arrest leading to him falling into the second round. I like Ferrell's potential, but his production does not always line up with his talent and your most likely right as to why. If he does well at the combine I see him going anywhere from 10 to 20. No way in hell at 3 though.

14. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member