Greg Cosell breaks down QB's in 2018 draft

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Leicester Jet, Mar 3, 2018.

1. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

Interesting video I've just watched on Youtube.

Shows what coaches really look for in QB's

Brook!, abc, Noam and 4 others like this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

GREAT stuff! Thanks for sharing!

Brook! likes this.
  3. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting that. What I got out this is that every team looks at these QB's differently. In other words, one team may feel Rosen is best for them, while another team feels Mayfield is a better fit for them. That's why if the Jets draft a QB at 6 or earlier, I'm not too concerned which one it is, as long as it's a QB, even though my preference is for Mayfield.

Brook! likes this.
  4. NCJetsfan

I wish I could have your confidence in the Jets making the right choice at QB. I've lost most of my confidence/belief/trust in Mac. Also, if they wait and see who drops, they aren't necessarily getting "their choice." They may be getting their 2nd or 3rd or 4th choice, and in that scenario, I'm not even sure that Mac would take a QB. He may opt to take Nelson, Barkley, Fitzpatrick, or Chubb if one of them are there.

westiedog1 and Red Menace like this.
  5. westiedog1

No confidence whatsoever! However, one of the things Cosell says is important in this clip is that if you like a QB, it doesn't matter where you draft him. So we can only hope Macc has the same outlook and acts accordingly on draft day. Secondly, I agree that the record for finding a QB for this franchise is pretty dismal and that extends to way before Macc came on the scene. Although in all fairness to Macc, missing on QBs not taken in round 1 isn't as sinful as missing on those taken in round 1. So, yes, we Jet fans have every right to be nervous about which QB they select, but in the end, that's what the FO guys get paid to do. It's not worth obsessing over, because if they get it right, we may be in for an era of good football, but if they screw it up, it's just back to SOJ.

6. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I don't think he likes Josh Allen as a prospect. I believe he thinks Allen is just a big man with a big arm. That's what I got from his talking points on Allen.

He also highlited Mayfields struggles with the blitz in particular in 3 and long situations, which the jets seem to be in a lot last year.

I believe Rosen is the most complete QB of the top guys and he probably will go first in the draft.

Darnold is like Brett farve, he's not a technical guy but is a gamer and that's how he gets in trouble.

I really enjoyed this guys breakdown of the QBs. To be fair he did say that these guys are not finished products and they will need coaching which he though was very important in order for them to have long term success at the next level.

#6 Red Menace, Mar 3, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
  7. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

For me, it was reaching for Hack that's made me skeptical of Mac's ability to find the right QB for the Jets. I was ok with selecting Petty in the 4th round in 2015 because Geno hadn't shown enough to make most fans think he was the answer and Fitz was a career journeyman. So in my mind, he's whiffed on 1 QB prospect so far. I hope he's not falling in love with Allen because of the potential. We need as close to a sure thing as possible and Mac does too if he doesn't want to end up on the unemployment line.

#7 CotcheryFan, Mar 3, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
  8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Thanks! Very informative!

westiedog1 likes this.
  9. westiedog1

I hear what you're saying, but for me it was more of him taking a gamble on a player than a whiff. Hackenberg was at one point in his college career considered to be a 1st round talent. He never really expected Hack to start day 1 anyway. Macc didn't do anything different than hundreds of other GM's who took QBs in round 2 and came up empty.

Red Menace likes this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

Cosell confirms what I've thought all along:

1. Rosen is the most polished right now.
    2. Mayfield has a lot of potential but does need to improve his handling of the blitzes which are way more exotic in the NFL, He could really struggle in the beginning because of that, and almost look like a bust.
    3. Darnold has a lot of talent, but needs significant fixing of his mechanics and that's a worry.
    4. Allen has high bust potential.

Based on all the "WOWs!" from Allen's combine showing, I really hope one of the teams in front of the Jets love him. That would be a double win: Whoever takes him won't take Allen of Mayfield, and whoever gets him will probably regret it.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  11. ColoradoContrails

Something else that I thought was important: Cosell said coaches look at QBs and ask themselves "Can this guy rum my offense?" As he elaborated on this he said, "Coaches coach what they know".

This may seem obvious but is that really how HCs think? If so, it sure explains a lot of the offensive dysfunction of the Jets for all these years. And what kind of system does Bowles know? I hear over and over again here how it's OCs who install offensive systems, and while that's true, doesn't that system have to be understood and accepted by the HC? Do OCs really get carte blanche?

And bringing this all back to the BIG Question: Which QB best fits Bowles's (or Bate's) system?

12. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Good vid thanks

13. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I liked the quote from the video that Josh Allen is "Scout Catnip." Thanks for posting.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

I think it is how most HCs and OCs think. Just think about how most HCs, DCs, and OCs stick to the systems that they know and have had success with. HCs and Coordinators who change the system to match their talent are pretty rare. Some make slight changes or adjustments, but I don't think many make wholesale changes or totally change the system they run. I think that's why we see so many square pegs trying to be fit into round holes. It certainly appears to me that most GMs, Scouts, HCs and Coordinators think if a player is good in one system, that he can succeed and be good in any other system. Some players can, but I think that they are the minority. I think that most players have one style of play (attacking vs read and react) or one system that best fits their talent, abilities, and mental mindset/attitude.

I think that Mayfield, Rosen and perhaps Darnold fit the Jets' offensive system the best. I think that the Jets would have to make some major changes to their offensive system if they wind up drafting either Jackson or Allen. At a minimum, I would think that they would need to install a number of RPOs, more QB rollouts, and perhaps adopt more of a downfield system rather than the WCO which is usually more about quick short passes.

Another thing that Cosell said that most fans don't get is that it takes around 4 years for a QB to truly develop.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  15. ColoradoContrails

Here's a question: Why do coaches who stick with their own systems, try to force fit QBs into their system without regard to that QBs strengths and experience? We expect QBs to adapt no matter what, but allow coaches to stick with their system? That's not a recipe for success.

Brook! and NCJetsfan like this.
  16. NCJetsfan

I think those coaches who stick with their systems do so due to ego, insecurity, or perhaps just not knowing another system well enough. As far as trying to force QBs to fit into their systems, even though it is the GMs who make the picks, I have to think that the HCs have at least some input into the draft and FA decisions, so they either misjudge what the QB's strengths are, don't consider how they will fit their system, or don't have enough information to know whether a QB will fit their system or not, so take the best QB (FA or draft prospect) they can get and hope for the best.

17. ColoradoContrails

I don't think it's necessarily "bad" for coaches to stick with what they know, but they also need to be flexible and to be able to adapt to conditions, including different abilities and talents of their players. But having a basic philosophy and coaching to it isn't bad in and of itself. But if you don't have the personnel you'd better be able to make some changes to fit the players you DO have. this is where the Jets have really failed, especially under Rex and Bowles. And they've made things worse by changing OCs - and Offensive philosophies - like changing socks, and they've done this because they don't have a foundational philosophy about what kind of team they want to be. Having had defensive HCs for so long who delegate this to their OC, and then don't coordinate with the GM about which players to get to fit this scheme, and when it doesn't work, they change "socks" and do it all over again.

And no, I'm NOT arguing for stability for stability's sake as some here have. If a philosophy or scheme isn't a good one, sticking with it won't make it work, unless of course the team from the top down buys into it and acquires players AND coaches who understand that scheme and can execute it. Again, another failure on the part of the Jets. We STILL don't have any idea what type of team the Jets are trying to be! "Whatever works" isn't a philosophy! I don't think they get it yet, but now is the time for them to pick a QB and build their team - including their philosophy - around his strengths. Everyone likes to crucify Sanchez, but the Jets failed to build a system that he could execute and then blamed him when things fell apart. I'm not saying he didn't contribute to some of that, but the bigger share of blame falls on the FO and CS.

What I want to know know is: What is Macc trying to do, and can Bowles deliver?

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

In my best Howard Cosell imitation:

"Afta much talk and speculation it is TRUE ladies and gents ...Greg Cosell WILL BE THE NEXT GM of the New York Jets!!!!"

And he really likes Baker Mayfield..

19. NCJetsfan

Good post. I totally agree.

20. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

i have a man crush on cosell. good info.

NCJetsfan likes this.