Grading the drafts 2017, 2016, 2015

Discussion in 'Draft' started by GasedAndConfused, May 1, 2017.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Round 1 Jamal Adams SS (grade A)
    this is a player the jets were in love with and the 3rd pr 4th best player in the draft by most people's accounts. While i wasn't happy with taking a safety, the jets were caught in a bad position. all the players we should have taken were gone. we could have traded down hence why I didn't give it an A+ but the jets really wanted him if he slid in the draft and he did. It was good value at the 6th pick and should help improve the leaky secondary

Round 2 Marcus Maye FS (Grade C)
    I really can't understand what the jets were thinking taking a 2nd safety in a row. especially when kizer was on the board and even if we didn't like him, Dalvin cook who was a top 15 player in the draft was sitting in our laps. Taking a 2nd safety over cook now put us in a position where we need to unload pryor. Not to mention both safeties we took are hybrid like safeties and similar players. I'm assuming we dump pryor and start mayes at FS and adams at SS, still with all the needs we have this was a bad pick. The value wasn't there, there were better players on the board and more players in a position of need

Round 3 ArDaruis Stewart WR (grade D)
    I'll give them a D because of value. but stewart is a lot like kerly who we just dumped and we have a lot of young talent at WR already. with enunwa, anderson, peake, and marshall. It was the least needed position on offense for us. he should be a solid role player but probably nothing more.

Round 4 Chad Hansen WR (grade B)
    I'll give them a B because i like hansen over stewart. He's got a similar skill set to decker. a big body WR who's limited athletically but is tough over the middle with great hands and instincts. Should have went in the 3rd round so great value. I couldn't give it an A since with 4 picks we got 2 safeties and 2 WRs and didn't address any major needs

Round 5 Jordan Leggett TE (Grade A)
    They get an A for this one, addessing a big need and getting good value out of the pick (he could have been a 4th rounder). He's a project so I doubt he'll help us in 2017 but he could develop into a solid all around TE

Round 6 Elijah McGuire RC (Grade A)
    Like all players this late he's gonna be a project but he's a great athlete and could contribute as a 3rd down back out of the backfield and also as a returner, something we needed badly

Round 6 Jeremy Clark CB (grade C)
    I'll give them a C for this pick. I'll deduct points for the value since he was a 7th round to undrafted free agent player, but they get points for addressing a position of need. He's coming off an injury so at best will be a special teams player, but he has all the measurable you can't from a CB. he just needs to learn the position better

Round 6 Derrick Jones CB (Grade F)
    wasn't even supposed to be drafted so it feels like a wasted pick. especially in the 6th round. we could have traded out and grabbed him after the draft. Hell the last pick in the draft was a semi-decent QB.

Tony Richardson Grade F
    just for not being able to spell JETS right and giving us our annual embarrassing moment at the draft

Overall Grade B-
    We did add some talent and got some good value but we also reached a few times, didn't address all out needs (not 1 QB or offensive lineman) and missed out on some real value picks

2. GasedAndConfused

Round 1 Darren Lee LB (Grade C)
    while it was good value at the time (was supposed to go top 10) he struggled a lot as a rookie and really isn't suited for a 3-4 defense. He'll have to come a long way this season to make this pick look good

Round 2 Hackenberg QB (Grade NA)
    can't really grade a guy who hasn't seen the field. Hopefully we'll get to see some of him this season

Round 3 Jordan Jenkins (Grade B)
    looked good at times as a rookie but injuries slowed him down during his 1st season. And the jets have him playing out of position as usualy. he's better suited for a 4-3 DE but he's playing a 3-4 OLB for us

Round 4 Justin Burris (Grade A)
    looked really good in limited reps. anytime you can add a player in the 4th that contributes as a rookie it was a good pick. Should be out dime back in 2017

Round 5 Brandon Shell (Grade A)
    Should be out starting RT for 2017. played very well in 2016 when injuries took over and he was forced to play. could be a god player for us for a long time

Round 7 Lac Edwards P (Grade F)
    he was probably the worst punter in the NFL last season. not much more to say here. hopefully he does betetr in 2017

Round 7 Charone Peake (Grade B)
    could have earned an A with more reps but anderson as an UDFA stole the show. I think this was a great value pick (was a 4th round talent) and he performed well when he had a chance. Should stick around for a few years at least and could grow into a number 3 WR

UDFA
    Robbie Anderson WR (Grade A)
    not much to say here, he was out best WR last season arguably. and our only real deep threat. Would have done even better if he wasn't being overthrown or under thrown 90% of the time he was open

Jalin marshall WR (Grade C)
    Hard to knock an UDFA but he struggled at times. still he shown enough to see the field but was outshined by anderson and peake. Could be gone this year depending how the rookies do but should be a solid role player somewhere in the NFL/

Overall Grade A-
    I didn't give it an A or A+ becuase hack is unknown and lee struggled but at the back end of the draft with jenkins, burris, anderson, peake, and shell it's hard to not give an A.

3. GasedAndConfused

Round 1 Leonard Williams DE (Grade A+)
    anytime you can land the best player in the draft at 6 it looks great on paper. but he's not just great on paper. he had a great rookie year and last year was our best d-lineman. Should see some probowls and anchor our line for the next 6-8 years

Round 2 Devin Smith WR (Grade F)
    not only were there better WRS available to draft and I hated the pick then, he barely seen the field. all he did was get hurt and now he tore his ACL in the offseason. he jet career is over and probably his NFL career

Round 3 Lorenzo Mouldin LB (Grade C)
    has shown flashes as a pass rushing OLB but has dealt with injuries and isn't a complete player yet. He could turn out to be a solid role player though and should get a chance to start this season barring injury.

Round 4 Bryce Petty (Grade D)
    I'll give him a D and not an F because a 4th round QB being a solid backup isn't bad, but he sure isn't going to be the franchise and is likely gone after this season.

Round 5 Jarvis Harrison OG (Grade F)
    He's not even on the team anymore and didn't do anything while he was here. maybe we gave up to early? doesn't really matter He's gone already so a wasted pick

Round 7 Dion Simon NT (Grade B+)
    A solid backup DT for us. can't really ask for much more from a 7th rounder.

Overall grade C
    While williams was a huge steal for us the fact that half our draft won't be here by the end of the 2017 season and we only got 1 legit starter and had a 2nd round bust i can't give it higher then a C. but i can't go lower with simon being a great value pick, moulden looking like a good role player and simon giving us good value in the 7th