Got to give McCagnan an A so far. Jets will be good in 2019

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JethroTull, Mar 18, 2017.

1. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Your first paragraph is the real reason why the frustration exists with the signing of Mccown. Personally I don't think he is needed, but we know what we have in TB, and what he is capable of.

Jet fans are ok with the youth movement, QB position included. TB will start Mccown because he does what comes naturally to a conservative HC he goes with the known.

If he goes with the young guys, I will be the first to give him credit, but based on how he has made decisions the last 2 years, he will start Mccown.

2. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

We are busy grading the GM who has been mixed bag, C average imo

Where is the TBs thread?????

Toilet Bowles>>>>>>>> Grade F for FRAUD

The only way Bowles helps this team is to continue his screwy Coaching and make sure we tank 2017

JMHO

3. Lee Savit

Lee Savit Member

No worries!!! This team is in such a mess he is a goner. We have no secondary and no pass rush and shitty qb. This is before the injuries. We have 0 chance to compete. We don't even have to root for us to lose. We suck!!! Sorry about being dark sider but just being realistic. We need to tear it down. In salary cap era if we do it correct we can be very good in 3 years. They say we are like 75 million under the cap for next year. That is like 5 new big money guys. Put that with 2 strong drafts....yikes the draft, our bugaboo. But if they draft well we have potential to be great.

Pags2112 likes this.
  4. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Brilliant post...

5. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

All the things you listed are good.... but all he has done is reset the infrustructure for us to have high picks + cap room. we are basically RIGHT BACK where we were when he got here:

-tons of cap(next offseason)
    -High draft pick
    -tons of holes/issues and a need to replace our aging best players
    -defensive line over invested

not sure if its a good thing that he had to spend 2 offseasons to get us right back were we started while not making the playoffs and not finding a QB or edge rusher in the process.

Mac is gonna be judge by how he drafts and how he fills Left tackle, left corner, edge rusher, an QB.

it still confuses me how we didnt draft a tacke of the future last year

Peebag, Br4d and HomeoftheJets like this.
  6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

LB's were needed also, which is how we wound up with Lee, who must have been above all the tackles on the Jets board at pick 20.

Pags2112 likes this.
  7. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

ILB is not nearly as important and lee was an enormous reach and hybrid pick. we could have filled ILB cheap in free agency and added some guys at LB that way anyhow.

either way its moot. the 4 positions that matter in the NFL werent addressed other then to take hack 2-3 rounds before we should have. still no LCB still no edge rusher, still no T, still no QB. plus a bigger problem is we didnt really get much yonger with all these moves for older guys that we are now having to cut or walk away from.

we are a young team but in a bad way because we dont have alot of good young players

8. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

For those who say Mac isn't going to go BPA... well you're wrong.

And I love it!

In the 2017 draft we have landed arguably the 2 best safeties in the draft, and have been able to thus far (as of the end of the 3rd round) added two additional picks by trading back. What's not to like?
    Jon Gruden had Jamal Adams as his #1 overall player in draft, now we get to unload Pryor and his non-covering ass. Things are looking up.

LAJet, Jets69, FJF and 2 others like this.
  9. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

10. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

He just rebuilt our secondary which was the main reason (other than the Amish Horror) that we lost so many games and got an offensive weapon like you all wanted. What the hell more do you guys want?

Frenbar and DarrelleRevis.Human? like this.
  11. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Mac improves to a C+ Manager after the trade backs...maybe even B- in his overall tenure. He learns from his mistakes then tries to undo the damage

The second safety Mayes was a bad pick imo....But Bowles input must be over the top for this sh*t to happen The new WR from Bama is a real sleeper..just saw highlights Dude is FAST and PHYSICAL

We have accumulated more picks in the late rounds which isn't bad at all

#131 NYJetsO12, Apr 29, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
  12. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

Up to now this draft will be met with markedly different views on how the GM is doing.......

For me the negatives are the safety double dip....the draft isn't 12 rounds anymore, the inability to trade back...specifically in R2, thus not receiving a day one or two 2018 extra, and not taking OL in the 3rd round.

The positive is we didn't bite on a high pick QB which tells folks they are absolutely looking at next years crop - and will likely be top 5 slot.

Bottom line.....we added good to very good players.....certain starters, and the old mantra is that u have to get at least 2 effective starters from each draft, minimum.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  13. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I'm happier with Macc and the management team after 3 picks than I was before them. That's a win for me.

I expect the Jets to lay down for a QB in the 2018 draft, although the prospects of any of them coming out are iffy individually there will be a couple of guys there collectively that are better than what was there this year.

Jets69 likes this.
  14. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

i like the picks but as far as a grade.mac will be graded pass/fail based on finding a qb before the angry mob gets him. its the way the league is now

15. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

I remember this team that was in a rebuilding phase with a new coaching staff who drafted 2 safeties back in 2010 and it worked out "ok" for them.
    (Earl Thomas 1st/rd, 14th oa - Kam Chancellor 5th/rd, 133rd oa)

Marcus Maye was one of IMO 3 possible BPA but the other two are quite controversial, Joe Mixon or Tim Williams. So therefore I can understand the hesitation to stay away. For me what would really justify the back-to-back safety picks, is if Pryor is traded for a pick at some point in this draft.

Our secondary, more specifically the backend when teams went over the top, was constantly exploited throughout the entire 2016 season. That was correct in the course of a little over 24hrs. Yet people still aren't satisfied, I find this mind boggling. Unless you're in the camp of getting a QB in the first 2 rounds there is no way you should be upset about this AT ALL! This was our biggest need and it has (theoretically) been turned into one of our strengths.

#135 DarrelleRevis.Human?, Apr 29, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2017