Got to give McCagnan an A so far. Jets will be good in 2019

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JethroTull, Mar 18, 2017.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

How about Simon (7th round), Shell (5th round), Burris (4th round), and Lee (2nd round), Devin Smith (2nd round), Jenkins (3rd round), Mauldin 3rd round), Peake (7th round) and Lac Edwards (7th round) could all still wind up being solid contributors at a minimum, and maybe more? Simon is already a solid contributor and looks good. Shell could be our starting RT this season. Burris could be starting at the #2 CB spot. Lee is a starter and we should see his play improve this season now that he has a year's experience playing in a different scheme than that which he played in college. Jenkins is a starter and came on strong at the end of the year. Mauldin was injured and hardly used last year due to the schemes Bowles was running. With Greene coaching him, we could see a big difference in his play. Peake has shown flashes. Devin Smith may have a hard time making the roster with his injuries and lack of practice time, but he could still pan out.

Then there are Petty (4th round) and Hack (2nd round) who could still prove this season that they are our QB of the future or at least a quality backup.

Last but not least there are the UDFAs he has signed Robby Anderson, Jalin Marshall, Ross Martin (who could wind up being our placekicker this season), Doug Middleton, Julien Obioha, Lawrence Thomas, and Claude Pelon. Middleton could wind up our backup FS and the last 3 DL all showed a lot of promise last season and 2 of the last 3 of them could wind up making the team as backups.

I'd say that's a lot more than once!!!!

Some of you guys with your hyperbole kill me. SMH

Brook! likes this.
  2. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

You just named a bunch of guys that has shown little to no potential lmao. Just because we drafted them doesn't mean they're going to be good...They can be, but the odds are looking to be against just about everyone you named.

Only one that looks like he can really be something is Robby. Simon is is just like every other DT we've plugged in that worked out well throughout the years.. i'll take that. Edwards sucks. Those other UDFA's you named aren't good, Jalin Marshall can't stay out the doghouse.

Are you just naming everyone we drafted and picked up as a UDFA ? lol..

What has Burris or Shell done at all to make you put them on this list? Jenkins and Mauldin both started and was invisible last year. What are you seeing that led to this essay?

and Lee is a first round pick... so yeah.

#62 JetLifeLo, Mar 20, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  3. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

I am refreshed by entering a rebuild. The one move that wasn't made which I don't understand, is why not finish the job and cut Decker?

4. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Mac went 10-6 and won Exec of the Year in 2015 because he hit on so many of his moves. That could have been luck, but he has a strong scouting background, so he may be good at that part of his job. His biggest problem has been a philosophy of signing overpriced vets, trading away picks, and ignoring probability in general (eg drafting Hack). The good news is that isn't too hard to change, and he's had the right approach this offseason. If he's learned from his mistakes, he could end up being a good GM. I figure the odds of that are at least as good as the odds another rookie or washed up GM would succeed here.

5. JetLifeLo

I never once thought Mac was a BAD GM... But I do think he's been OVERLY-PRAISED.. His drafts have been below average (so it seems unless some guys really breakout this year out of nowhere) ... Free agency pick ups were cool... I'd take everything besides the Cromartie and Revis pick ups.

This year I like his approach this year, not spending all the dough and releasing guys we should've let go last year.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  6. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

All u fans better figure on who to dump your praise on when MCC is axed once our moronic owner figures out how many years MCC put us behind by not selecting Dak :mad:

7. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

Dak would not have the impact that he had on the cowboys this year with this supporting cast.

JulesWinfield89 likes this.
  8. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

Mac was overly praised in 2015, and is being overly derided in 2016. As NC highlighted, there are alot of players that Mac has drafted or signed that will be big contributors this season. If Pettenberg develops and guys like Lee and Burris show improvement Mac will look good again. But alot of that is riding on Bowles ability to develop players... Poor bastard.

Red Menace likes this.
  9. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Thank you for this post. You are absolutely correct. With the eyes on the future Maccagnon is doing a great job building a strong foundation.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Until Macc delivers a SB-contending roster, I wouldn't give him an "A". Given that a number of his picks and signees are still developing I'll withhold any letter grade except "I" for Incomplete. But if he doesn't hit big this draft, it will be time to begin looking for his replacement, and this time it had better be someone with a winning track record, regardless of his price.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

There have been few moves that Mac made that were considered "bad" at the time they were made. They all seemed logical considering the circumstances.

Perfect example being the Clady signing. It didnt work out, but with Brick retiring it was one of the better options Mac had at the time.

So I think he is a competent GM, but if his draft picks dont improve he will get the blame and be fired.

But that is something to be considered this November. Not now.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. JetLifeLo

Are they going to be big contributors? Or are we hoping they can step up to the plate and be something? or show flashes of it at least.

I never completely write off any players until after their 3rd season.. but I'm not going to go out on a limb and call any of these guys our future..

I will agree though that Todd Bowles is probably a big disruption in their development.. Playing so many players out of position and not playing to their strengths but rather just trying to force them to fit what HE wants done.. to me that is what differs a good coach and a bad one. Build your system based off of the talent and skill sets you have.. that way players are confident, competitive, and happy to be out there.. last year nobody looked happy to be a jet lol.

Red Menace and ColoradoContrails like this.
  13. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

I am a fan of Mac, no move he has made has pissed me off yet

14. Snoopdogg

Snoopdogg Active Member

Right, it's hyperbole to say his performance is average but not hyperbole to declare all these players as successful picks. Really? _None_ of them could start for (say) the Falcons or probably the Steelers.

This is verbatim what I posted the last time somebody was trying to hype up Maccagnan's drafts. :

Between 2010 and 2012, John Schneider, Pete Carroll and the Seahawks drafted the following players:

Russell Okung
    Earl Thomas
    Golden Tate
    Kam Chancellor
    KJ Wright
    Richard Sherman
    Bruce Irvin
    Bobby Wagner
    Russell Wilson

Now that is a great run. Ours is average. There is probably one player we drafted on that list who even belongs in the same company as the nine that the Seahawks drafted. Get back to me when Mac hits at least one more home run.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  15. NCJetsfan

I didn't say that they were all successful picks. I pointed out some who had shown potential. The Falcons were in the SB. I wouldn't expect any players on the Jets to be able to start on the Falcons or the Patriots. There's a reason they were in the SB after all, and the Jets only won a few games.

16. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

i think he's doing a good job as well. we all know 2017 is gonna be a rebuilding season. if he can draft good this year and next and find a QB we ww could compete as early as 2018 but more realistically 2019. drafting good will be a huge key for him though. if we have a shit draft it'll take more time to compete

17. NCJetsfan

I disagree that the odds are against just about everyone I named and that they've shown little to no potential. Of course just because we drafted them doesn't mean they're going to be good.

Saying that Edwards sucks is dumb. He was a rookie and had a suck ass excuse for a STs Coordinator. He may prove to be a bad pick, but we know he has a strong leg and kicked a lot better in college. That should tell you that the problem isn't Edwards, but maybe the STs Coordinator.

Burris and Shell both showed promise this past season. Many people here have discussed both of them. If you couldn't see it or didn't see it, I can't help you.

Both Jenkins and Mauldin were injured last year and both missed several games. Bowles switched his defense around and called for a type of alignment and play that didn't fit Mauldin's talents so he didn't see the field a lot. He showed promise his rookie season. Jenkins came on strong the last 3 games of the season, got good pressure and several sacks. Again, if you can't see the promise that each has showed, maybe you need to get your eyes checked or your perspective. Maybe you're expecting too much from 3rd round draft picks.

Essay. ROFLMAO Did I tax your concentration or reading comprehension with so many letters and words? You guys who can't focus or wrap your brains around anything longer than two sentences without complaining are pathetic. Maybe you need to put your phones down and pick up a good novel.

18. JetLifeLo

lmao NC all you do is write 5 paragraph essays on here and you already admitted you don't watch the games lol... but I need my eyes checked? ok.. Watch a game and see for yourself.

These guys are all very replaceable and probably will be when this rebuild is all said and done.

Burris gave us a very little sample size.. can he hold is on out there? a little bit.. but nobody seen a difference maker or a starting CB in him.. hell Darryl Roberts got more burn than him and showed more "promise".. did you READ about him too?

Edwards sucks.. no coordinator makes or breaks the PUNTER... you either got it or you don't .. coaches don't make you shank punts or kick a bunch of short fly balls.. stop that.

Jenkins missed a few games, and was invisible for the bulk of the season and made a few plays to end the year solid.. I like Jenkins.. but he stil has to show and prove... Mauldin has straight regressed and gets mauled (if you will) by RT's with EASE.. and coverage? haha...

Watch some games big bro... build your OWN views and opinions...

This year is a "tank" year so all these guys will have plenty of opportunity to show what they've got.. but from what I've SEEN (because I WATCH the games) the expectations aren't that high moving forward.

19. JetLifeLo

Yes because they actually hit on later picks.. shit that separates the good from the bad... we don't hit on late picks.. and we're bad. We sit and wait around for "potential" to turn into something until their contracts expire while other teams know when it's time to re-up. Half our guys only start because they are on our Jets team lol.. wouldn't even make the GOOD teams rosters. You just explained exactly what you disagreed with in my other post bro lol.

20. Jets_Grinch

Jets_Grinch Well-Known Member

Veteran "presence" in the locker room. Decker isn't breaking the bank and gives them an experienced guy to light the way, a consumate proffesional as some would say. This could change very quickly pending who we get in the draft (other bigger needs but still) and his recovery. I feel the same way about Harris on D. Give both guys one more year to impart wisdom.