Good Quarterback Stats Usually Help Win Football Games

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by NotSatoshiNakamoto, Mar 23, 2015.

1. NotSatoshiNakamoto

This shows the 2014 & 2013 top 10 in yards, TD's and QB Rating (the real one not the stupid ESPN one).

key:
    blue = superbowl winning QB
    Z - division winner
    Y - playoffs
    dvoa = defensive efficiency rankings from football outsiders
    http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef

I used DVOA because I believe it's a better way of analyzing the quality of a defense than some of the other commonly used stats. I understand this will probably be the topic of some debate but it's my analysis so I'll use what I believe is the best defensive ranking system.

[​IMG]
    • All of the active superbowl winning QB's except Flacco appear on these top 10 lists from 2013-2014.
    • Most QB's in these top 10 lists whose teams didn't have a winning record had a bottom third ranked defense.
    • Matthew Stafford was the only QB in the top 10 passing yard list with a defense ranked in the top half of the league whose team didn't have a winning record.
    • Matthew Stafford was the only QB in the top 10 passing TD list with a defense ranked in the top half of the league whose team didn't have a winning record.
    • Sam Bradford was the only QB in the top 10 QB rating list with a defense ranked in the top half of the league whose team didn't have a winning record. He only played 7 games that year but the team was still one game under .500 with him playing.
    • Of the 2014 playoff teams only Dalton, Flacco, Newton and the Cards QB by committee didn't appear in a top 10 list. Of the 2013 playoff teams only Luck, Alex smith and Newton didn't appear in a top 10 list. If we can agree to remove the QB by committee team that makes it an even 25% of playoff teams with QB's who didn't make a top 10 stat list for there year.

I'm sure there are a million other observations that can be made looking at this. I just scratched the surface to start the discussion.

Vahncase and BrowningNagle like this.