Golf

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by devilonthetownhallroof, May 11, 2010.

1. devilonthetownhallroof

devilonthetownhallroof 2007 TGG Fantasy Baseball League Champion

Who here plays golf? I just recently started playing par 3 courses. I'd been to the driving range a bit before that, but never played full games. I'm absolutely terrible. Luckily the people I play with are just about the exact same skill level so the rounds are fun. I've played 3 times over the last 2 weeks and am becoming addicted.

2. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

that's how it got me.

I played for free at Syracuse...that's how I learned. I went like 3-4 times a week after classes and on the weekend n shit.

and now 5 years later, I've played all over the US

if you wanna get good starter clubs for reasonable $$$

www.diamondtourgolf.com

3. LockDown24

LockDown24 Active Member

Same way it got me too, my friends and I were bored one day back in HS and we decided to play a par 3 course. We all got hooked and we've played at least once a month in the spring and summer for the past 8 years now. Never concentrated on it enough to become an ace but on a good day I can break 100. Really fun game and I can think of alot worse ways to spend the day than on the course.

4. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

highly recommend getting a bottle of Andre and a 12 pack and DUI the golf cart.

by hole 9, it gets a lot more fun

5. LockDown24

LockDown24 Active Member

18 shots in a bottle of scotch and 18 holes on a golf course, coincidence?
    :beer:

6. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

I'm hooked hardcore. I picked up the game last October. Played a lot and sucked, so finally 2 months ago I signed up with a Golf Instructor to get lessons. I got 5 lessons, and this Thursday is my 2nd. He put my swing on video and it's cool seeing it and immediately told me what to work on. I'm at the range twice a week and this summer after my lessons I plan on playing at least once a week on full courses.

The 1st lessons has already paid huge dividends, I played a Par 3 course and Par is 27, I shot a career best 32. I'm stoked needless to say. Want to learn how to hit my Hybrid correctly and I'm set.
    Here's my set, 13 clubs...You can have 14, considering adding a Lob-Wedge.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. devilonthetownhallroof

I should take lessons because it's clear I have no idea what I'm doing haha. I can crush the ball but I have no accuracy whatsoever and basically use my baseball swing. My best on a 27 par course out of 3 games is 54.

8. devilonthetownhallroof

Here's my course by the way. Nothing special, but a lot of fun.

[​IMG]

9. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

My best pre-instructions was 45 on the Par 3 course.

The lowwww point in my game, and coincidentally when I decided to get my lessons was when I played a big course, I played the same course twice before, but this specific day just destroyed me. Shot 125 on a Par 74.

Didn't have any fun, after Hole 8 I just walked up and hit the ball, did no routine or practice swings, I just wanted to get the hell out. I would chunk the ball, slice the ball, top-spin the ball, everything you name it.

The instructions are smart to get, just to get the basics down at least...Makes a huuuuge difference, and I still have 4 more lessons upcoming.

#9 EcKo151, May 11, 2010
    Last edited: May 11, 2010
  10. Antoni

Antoni Well-Known Member

Started playing about 2 years and I'm still horrible but I love it. What I enjoy the most about golf is the amount of props and side bets it offers. Most clubs will handicap you and you could essentially play a pro and have an equal chance at winning the money. Obviously, not recommended at high stakes against people you don't know because you could be getting sharked, but I mainly play with coworkers and pretty much break even

11. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

big hitter, the Lama.

12. Green Blood

Green Blood Active Member

I'm generally low/mid 90s....I feel old though, hurt my back last fall and haven't been able to really play since...love the game, we have some great courses in NC....

13. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Cobras are nice Ecko, did you get them new or pre-owned?

must have set you back 1200-1500

14. tcrock

tcrock Well-Known Member

been hooked for a long time now, although as life becomes busier, there's less time for golf. (been out twice this year so far, (that's alot for me already) Lessons are definitely key........there's a lot of guys who can crush the ball, but learning the basic fundamentals of the swing is critical to enjoying the game.....it's the only way to improve........one word of advice, don't go nuts with clubs and shit, if you can't swing correctly, the best clubs aint gonnna help

15. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

Heck no, Pre-Owned. Every club from eBay except for my 3Wood and putter which was given from my brother.

4-PW UFI - $350
    SW(brand new) - 100
    Driver - 90
    Hybrid - 45

The UFi set was the best deal of the bunch, they were actually demo clubs from a Golf Shop in Long Island, but only used twice! I called the guy, spoke with him directly. I looked hard on what club would be best for a beginner.

So I looked under Max-Game Improvement clubs and wanted the Cobra brand. The UFis fit my needs. When I got the clubs their were barely any scuffs, 2 of the clubs still in the plastic, got lucky.

16. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Same here. I played only once in 2009 and zero times so far in 2010.

The first time I ever played was in 1991 on the morning of that big Oilers-Redskins game. I had a hole-in-one on a 175-yard hole in 2006.

I agree with your comment about clubs. New and better clubs can help, but not if you have little ability. It's good to play with used clubs for several years. If after a few years you still like the game and you play at least 10 times a year, then upgrade your clubs.

17. Talisman

Talisman Active Member

I picked up golf about 10 months ago, and I'm not very good either, but then again I haven't been taking lessons, just youtubing it up and reading forums. By far the best golf forum I've come across is:

http://thesandtrap.com/forum/forum.php

It's a very active board, and the people there are generally cool and will help you with your swing if you tape it and post it.

This is definitely an expensive habit, but I'm finding that I enjoy it very much

18. devilonthetownhallroof

Really, expensive? Not around here, which is one of the reasons I like it so much. The 9 hole course I usually go to is $8, and $13 if you split a cart. There's also an 18 hole par 3 nearby that's $12, and a full 18 hole that my friend goes to that's $24.

19. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

Only semi-related, for anyone 17-under, you should be trekking down to the nicest country club in your area and caddying for the summer. These day, six days out with a few double loops and tips, you could easily bring home $700-800 cash each week. You'll have to work up to that, but it's the best job I've ever had. Plus, most clubs have a caddy day, where you can play a first class course for free one day a week.

20. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

This Saturday I'm playing the number 9 public course in Canada from 2009, Heathlands at Osprey Valley.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not expecting to score great but I am pumped for it.

Golf's a great game though, probably my favourite one to play now. It makes me wish I lived in Florida or California or Australia.