Going to see Capt. Marvel (Or Ms. Marvel) today..

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Cman68, Mar 9, 2019.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Not sure what to make of this movie as the reviews I've read so far aren't really that encouraging (unless you're a feminist). They're saying Sam Jackson saves the day but Brie's character is kinda restricted. I'll find out today at 1230. I'm really hoping this isn't a #metoo girl power movie. I know Marvel needs to counter Gal Gadot and Amber Heard but I have a feeling they're gonna come up a bit short this time. DC is winning the hot female battle hands down.

BTW, there are cherries at the end of this so stick around thru the credits. (Found this out online..:) )

CBG and The Dark Knight like this.
  2. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Gal Gadot is fucking hot. Amber Heard is hot and fucking crazy.

Brie Larson is your average white girl propped up by the holloywood preparation machine.

Red Menace and Cman68 like this.
  3. Cman68

And for the Skull n Xbones crowd, its already available online..

4. Cman68

Yeah... I really never wondered what Brie Larson looks like naked after watching the trailers. Now Gal and Amber Heard is an entirely different conversation... :)

JetBlue likes this.
  5. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

I'm also going at 12:30. This is more of a tide-me-over-until-Endgame movie. I'm guessing it will be fine like most Marvel stand alones.

6. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

This x 100

7. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I'll see it some time this week. My expectations keep being lowered by people I talk to.
    Have to disagree here. I mean obviously Gal Gadot is gorgeous and Amber Heard is hot and crazy, haha, but Brie Larson is cute too. She was really good in Room. Pretty horrendous in Kong: Skull Island but everyone was in that movie. I think she is talented and beautiful. I liked the Captain Marvel casting when I first heard it.

8. JetBlue

If the final product after having professionals make you up to go into public is “cute,” your starting point is average.

Red Menace likes this.
  9. Cman68

Just got back. Its a pretty good movie. Better than I thought it would be. No, I still don't care to see Brie Larson naked but she did play a good role as a female fighter pilot turned galactic hero. It also served as a prequel to the Avenger series and tied in "End Game" nicely. Not many slow spots and the CGI was good if not borderline excessive. If you have the opportunity, see it in 3D IMAX. The trailers thru the credits happen twice so don't leave. I'm curious as to how she will fare against Mighty Thanos. She was just about all powerful in this movie but in "End Game", she'll be on an entirely different level. Surprisingly, the movie had elements of Independence Day and some of the characters you'll recognize from GoTG. There even was one character that looked strangely like the Sith Lord. Perhaps a coincidence...

All in all, Marvel did a good job on this one. Plot kept you in the movie. CGI was good. Script was pretty good and you actually got to see a vulnerable Nick Fury..

Worth the price of admission folks... See it!

Cman

10. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

No spoilers but really enjoyed Captain Marvel. They said it was a 90s action film and it felt like one. Brie did a great job as Carol. Captured her repressed personality. She was ambitious yet impulsive.

Not too over the top, simple and a nice ride.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  11. phubbadaman

I felt as a stand-alone movie, they could have spent a little more time in the beginning explaining what was going on/who the Kree and Skrulls are. If they had done that, they would have needed to cut something out in the middle, as the movie was pretty long. That said, I mostly enjoyed it. I put it somewhere around Ant-Man/Ant-man and wasp, below Civil War. And no, I'm not going to give you my full rankings.

12. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

The sequel should go into that more. Much more ground to cover for the Skrulls.

13. The Dark Knight

I have to say @Cman60 and @JetBlue, Brie Larson was gorgeous in Captain Marvel! Maybe we have a different taste in women, but I thought she looked great. Gal Gadot and Amber Heard are great, but she is up there with them.

As for Captain Marvel as a film: I liked it. I didn't love it, but it definitely is not as bad as some people have told me. It does fit in nicely with Avengers: End Game too. My main concern was "Could it be believable that Captain Marvel could be powerful enough to take on Thanos?" I think the answer is yes. She was quite powerful in this film, but that was 25 years ago. She could be even stronger now. Brie Larson did a good job as did Samuel L. Jackson. Some of the pacing is odd and some scenes don't flow like they should. I wouldn't say it was poorly directed, but it definitely could have been directed in a better way in some scenes.

The beginning was confusing, but I think it was supposed to be. Since Captain Marvel was so confused, it makes sense to make the audience feel that way too. At least I think that is what they were going for. Yeah, I am not going to rank it either in the MCU, but it was good which is all that matters.

14. Cman68

Brie doesn't ring any bells for me. Waay too wholesome. In fact, the surfer girl that the Kree mimic'd on the beach may have been the hottest chick in the movie. I had always thought the Kree and Skrulls were galactic competitors as were the Shi'ar empire (Xmen). Took me a bit to get with the Skrulls being refugees. This is shaping up to be a great year for movies. Godzilla looks fantastic, End Game, The Phoenix... Yessss!!!!!!!!

15. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I disagree. I think she's pretty hot. She caught my attention once when her bewbies were all hanging out and I think of that ever since

16. JetBlue

@BrowningNagle
    @The Dark Knight

If you were championing Tilda Swindon I’d have concerns about your standards; Brie Larson is personal taste. She’s average to me with incredible fucking tittaes.

17. The Dark Knight

That's fair. :D

One thing that I did not like in Captain Marvel, or found unrealistic, was Nick Fury never paging her for help until he was about to die at the end of Infinity War. The whole film is about Carol and Fury having this great bond. Are we really supposed to believe that he would not contact her at all after that despite all the big villains SHIELD had to deal with like Loki or Ultron? I wish they would have given a reason for that.

18. phubbadaman

So Kevin Fiege has given two explainations for this. 1) He wanted to see what the Avengers could do and 2) there is no indication that Fury never paged her, we just know she never helped either by not arriving on time or ignoring. So he may have paged her, but they likely resolved it before she arrived

19. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Sounds like something I can get into :D

20. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Overall i felt it was a decent movie overall but a bad marvel flick by their standards. more along the lines of DC movies or the earlier not as good marvel movies. Brie larson was awful as captain marvel and was really distracted. he looked like she was either pissed off or constipated the entire movie. the action was medicore but her performance was just making everything worse. sam was great as was the cat but the rest of the characters were pretty boring and piss poor and the CGI young sam was a bit distracting as well. I mean the whole thing felt like a long drawn out trailer for end game

in regards to that

it was kinda addressed in a few ways. 1 is we don't know if he didn't try to use it before and she never got the message or was unable to make it there. 2 it was "for major emergency only" so it's more then possible he decided not to since he still had the avengers, not like he had 0 help. plus at the end it shows that she was the reason he made the avengers so he wouldn't need her help specifically so he assembled the avengers to protect earth which he had in the fight with thanos. i mean he had iron man, hulk, doctor strange, spider man, guardians of the galaxy, thor, black widow etc. not like he would really need 1 more super hero at that point to turn the tide. the issue is the power creep though which is shitty if she just comes in and fixes everything herself. Not to mention her being infused with an infinity stone and knowing where one is might only make things worse. i mean it's not a complete explanation but it's plausible