Give Your Draft Grade for 2017

Discussion in 'Draft' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Apr 29, 2017.

?

Draft Grade for The Jets 2017 NFL Draft

1. A+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. A

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. A-

5 vote(s)
    9.3%
  4. B+

11 vote(s)
    20.4%
  5. B

15 vote(s)
    27.8%
  6. B-

7 vote(s)
    13.0%
  7. C+

5 vote(s)
    9.3%
  8. C

3 vote(s)
    5.6%
  9. C-

4 vote(s)
    7.4%
  10. D or worse

4 vote(s)
    7.4%
  1. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

just because teams traded up for a QB does not mean the class was good. how many bust QBs have we had in the last 10 years? jamarcus russell, brady quinn, sanchez, josh freeman, bradford (debatable), tebow, jake locker, blaine gabbert, christian ponder, rg3?? the list never ends. if you don't like the QB, don't force it

2. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

A team that can't score drafts two safeties with the first two picks. D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

westiedog1 likes this.
  3. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

EJ Manuel, Johnny Manziel, and Tim Tebow

Dom likes this.
  4. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Just saying it didn't seem to be a "dumpster fire" to other teams.

5. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Round 2: I dislike the Maye pick since even if he develops into an all-pro (which isn't likely), both he and Adams hit the 5th year together and then FA together if we even sign both to a 5th year option. Staggering in this situation seems like a good strategy unless there is overwhelming reason to not do so.

Given that there was no overwhelming reason to take Maye, Cook or Q. Wilson at CB made more sense.

Round 3: I didn't know of the guy at the time, but NE's pick of OT Antonio Garcia is probably the guy we should have taken. Stewart looks ok but he's just another young WR in the mix with no obvious upside beyond third WR. Garcia could be our next left side OT which we desperately need.

Round 4: While I like Hansen a lot at this pick, Butt would have been better and we only had 9 more picks to go and maybe we could have picked up Hansen in the 5th. We need a good TE more than we need another young WR who may be productive. Certainly Butt looks like a greater value than "lazy leggett".

In summary I would rather have had Adams, Cook, Garcia, and Butt with the first 4 picks which distributes players across positions and needs.

westiedog1 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  6. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

homerun on the first round no doubt , dunno wich grade mayes actually had but i belive mixon would make our team overall better. i like the 3rd round pick safe pick . After that wasnt rly much that hyped me passed on jake butt took some bad dbs didnt adress the OL nor LB core.
    B+ because o the first round otherwise it would be a lower grade. With that said i love Safetys so if mayes turns out ot be a stud i would give them an A because its been a while since we had two guys that can cover and tackle at the S position its actually interesting they both sure tacklers and fast they not calvin pryor they wont hit as hard but will hardly miss a tackle in the open field by what i saw .

richieC likes this.
  7. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Bears
    Chiefs
    Texans

Yeah, the rich Quarterbacking history of those teams really puts the Jets to shame.

8. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

This draft class may be terrible and next year's could be the greatest ever but one thing for certain is that guys with Mahomes' combination of natural arm strength, arm talent, accuracy and improvisational skills don't come around often.

By the way, I have more faith in Hackenberg being our FQB than I do us being in position to draft Darnold next year. And I have very little faith in Hackenberg at this point.

Wahoo and ColoradoContrails like this.
  9. wampa

wampa Well-Known Member

I'm tentatively giving it a B-. Simply put, after the Adams pick, everything felt kind of 'ok, I guess', and Adams was the 'fall into your lap' pick that I give Mike limited credit for. Simply put, I didn't feel like we got a big steal on value anywhere post-Adams. If we'd gotten a third player (beyond the 2 safeties) who I felt was going to be a near every-down starter out the gate I'd be a bit more optimistic.

Pick by pick stuff:

Rd 1: I love the Adams pick. They probably tried to trade down when he fell to them and didn't get a good offer. BPA, position of need, one of the highest floors in the draft, natural leader, etc.

Rd 2: Neutral on Maye. He's a fantastic player and we do need a second safety, even after the Adams pick. But I have to wonder if one of the available corners wasn't a better pick for secondary help at this point, between Mo Claiborne's injury history and Skrine's questionable ability to match up with bigger WRs on the outside.

Rd 3: Ar'Darius Stewart... I'm a bit negative on this one. I feel like he's a bit of a boom/bust pick here, depending on how much he can improve his route-running, and if his YAC ability can translate to the NFL. He doesn't seem to (number-wise, tape-wise) possess the elite athleticism inherent in a 'matchup nightmare' playmaker. I can't help but feel like this is the type of player you get when you already have your QB and WR1 of the future and are adding a supplemental weapon to put your offense over the top, not when you're building one from the ground up.

Rd 4: Chad Hansen: I like the pick for the round-value more than Ardarius Stewart above. He reminds me eerily of Eric Decker - a very solid 1b receiver, who isn't a guy defenses have to game plan around, but quickly morphs into an absolute nightmare picking up 15-yard chunks 1v1 with a #2 corner if there's another good receiving option on the board. He's great at coming down with 50/50 balls and has good ball-tracking/high-pointing ability. With Decker injured and aging, a 4th round pick for a guy who could start as a #3-#4 receiver and eventually replace Decker skillset wise (perhaps as soon as next year) feels like a solid choice.

Rd 5: Jordan Leggett: Neutral on the pick. We needed a Tight End, we got one. This is a guy on raw talent who'd have gone in the 2nd round if scouts didn't rightfully question his drive and willingness to block. Immensely talented, and could be the best value of the draft for us if it turns out the concerns about his work ethic and willingness/ability to block were overblown. Or he could just be a later-round version of Jace Amaro. I don't mind rolling the dice in the 5th round on a guy with his potential, but this is absolutely a coin flip pick.

Rd 5: Dylan Donahue: Don't like the pick. High motor edge player who'll probably play special teams. I can't help but feel he's a fairly low ceiling guy as he's already 25, though. I honestly have a hard time seeing him as ever starting at 3-4 OLB due to his combination of age, athletic ceiling, and small-school status.

Rd 6: Elijah McGuire: Neutral. Feels like a decent part of a committee backfield. I'd have preferred a bruiser/power back, but he might fit better in the new offense.

Rd 6: Jeremy Clark: Like the pick. 6th round pick on a guy with incredible traits and the potential skills to be a starter whose draft stock took a tumble due to an injury. This low in the draft, the gamble is fine.

Rd 6: Derrick Jones: Neutral. Total Project CB.

#49 wampa, May 1, 2017
    Last edited: May 1, 2017
    ColoradoContrails likes this.
  10. legler82

Should the draft grade also factor in the fact we were unable to deal away for Richardson and Pryor?

11. joe

joe Well-Known Member

The 2011 NFL Draft says hi. .

In 2011 three organizations thought enough of 3 of the top 4 QBs to draft them in the top 12.

Those three (Locker, Ponder and Bortles) turned out to be stiffs.

And what's more, those three QBs were the only ones out of that top 12 class that didn't become Pro Bowlers.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  12. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I just confirmed this statement--I thinks that pretty amazing--pick 13-17 was Nick Fairly, Robert Quincy, and Mike Pouncy, Ryan Kerrigan and Nate Solder. Prince was at 19, Ingram at 28---Shit, even the NYJ picked up a probowler In MoWilk.

101GangGreen101 and joe like this.
  13. richieC

richieC Active Member

Big fan of Andy Reid. His eagle's teams were fantastic offensive teams. Mahomes is going to a place where he will get great coaching.
    With the Chiefs, Mahomes may become an above average player.
    With the Jets, Mahomes more than likely becomes a below average player.

Jets are not in a position to take the gambles. Adams was the Safe pick.
    For the Record, I really like Mahomes. But i understand the Jets passing on him.

14. legler82

Essentially you are saying the only way QB prospect will be a good fit for the Jets is if he is perfect and can overcome our routinely poor coaching staffs. So we just have to wait for when the stars align and that perfect QB is coming out the year we have the #1 overall pick as I'm sure other teams will be interested in said perfect QB. Sounds like a plan.

15. legler82

BTW I'd much rather "gamble" on a QB that needs to fix his mechanics and footwork to maximize his full potential a la Mahomes than one that needs to fix these things just to be able to begin consistently complete an accurate pass a la Hackenberg.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  16. richieC

richieC Active Member

IF Adams wasn't available, i can see taking a shot with Mahomes.
    Apparently the Jets are fine with giving hack a chance to play.
    The situation doesn't have to be perfect. The combination of Adams being available and coaching staff's willingness to back hackenberg makes passing on a quarterback Understandable.