Give Your Draft Grade for 2017

Discussion in 'Draft' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Apr 29, 2017.

?

Draft Grade for The Jets 2017 NFL Draft

1. A+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. A

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. A-

5 vote(s)
    9.3%
  4. B+

11 vote(s)
    20.4%
  5. B

15 vote(s)
    27.8%
  6. B-

7 vote(s)
    13.0%
  7. C+

5 vote(s)
    9.3%
  8. C

3 vote(s)
    5.6%
  9. C-

4 vote(s)
    7.4%
  10. D or worse

4 vote(s)
    7.4%
  1. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

My Grade C. The Jets remind me of an ancient kingdom whose response to a threat from another kingdom is to make more shields. You can't beat your opponent whether in war or sports by out-defending him. They obviously got a great player in round one but I question how effective he or the other safety, and by extension, the two late CB picks will be with a mediocre pass rush. They also picked three promising receivers to help the offense but did nothing to answer the question everyone was asking: "who's going to get them the ball?" One analyst referred to the Jets as the team with the worst roster. I don't think this draft will change that perception.

2. rsc1589

rsc1589 Active Member

As of now. B. No one can say until they see Maye. If he can't play CF as we'd hope then it's a bad draft. I think they want to basically use both Adams and Maye to disguise coverage honestly.

I would have liked Cook but I get it. He has concerns. Maye was high on most boards.

Huge fan of Stewart and Hansen. Could be a good draft but t depends on Maye. Can't say enough how underrated Stewart is

NYJetsO12 and Catfish Billy like this.
  3. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

A solid B draft. It wasn't a home run, but it did address a lot of needs and got solid football players rather than go for flashier risky picks. Given the state of our roster that has to be a good thing. Its quite possible we have 3 immediate starters (2 safeties and TE) plus a tough slot receiver in ArDarius. 4 guys who hopefully are significant contributors from day 1 but who, Adams apart, may never be elite. I'm more than OK with that. If we got some useful situational players as well and one of the corners develops then it becomes a very good draft.

4. amuck57

amuck57 Active Member

c+ don't understand how we got out of this draft with no pass rusher, imo the biggest need we have

5. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

I'm banking on Adams and Maye both being productive starters. Outside of that I feel like this draft will be a success even if the other guys turn into just depth subs, BUT the success hinges on one of the two CB's being productive in a staring role.

- 2 starting safeties
    - rotational depth at TE, WR, RB, OLB
    - 1 starting outside or nickel CB

To me this equals a very successful draft, only time will tell but I think the CB's and the fact that Mac traded down there out of the earlier rounds where more "sure-fire" options were will be what people talk about years from now. Those moves in this draft could cement him as a great GM or make him look like a fool. As said earlier, we'll know in two years or so.

6. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I'll give it anywhere between an A+ to an F depending on how they perform over the next couple years.

GWjet likes this.
  7. fansince90

fansince90 Well-Known Member

Adams is one of the picks i definitely wanted, his grade is an A+, but when you average in the missed players...Cooks/Samuels, Leggett being a poor blocker (seems to be a diva that just wants to catch, no dog in him), and the Div2 player that brings the overall grade down to a C-. Its not lower because the Wr's seem to have skill...but how will they ALL get a chance to contribute on a team that needs immediate offensive help.???

ColoradoContrails and westiedog1 like this.
  8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

After QB of course.

9. njjets93

njjets93 Active Member

This is pretty much the way I see it. The only thing I would add is I think we are gonning to get contributions from Hansen. So i give it a B

If Adams and Maye develop as expected, and with the addition of Claiborne, and hopefully some development with what is leftover in the secondary, we can have a much improved D. I know a lot of ifs and "ands", lol. We can hope.

Next year I think we will be looking for that FQB, pass rush help, and some OL depth. Hopefully our young LBs continue to grow and improve. We may also need a replacement for Harris in the middle.

10. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

A lot of negativity here. Surprised.

Adams was could have been argued to be the best player in this draft. I think he's better than Garrett simply based around the effort between these two players. Garrett going to CLE doesn't bode well for the player either.

Maye was another awesome pick. I didn't expect it but this kid would've been a first rounder in any other draft. Easily. The pairing should greatly improve our secondary and that is huge moving forward.

Stewart is a very good WR, very strong at the LOS, always finds a way to get open. He would've been much more productive if he played on a team with a better QB and more WR friendly type of offense. He will likely push early for a starting role for this team and can help in the return game. I'm excited about this player.

Out the gate, most likely just drafted three starters up front. If that happens, this draft is already successful.

Hansen is a guy I'm really stoked about too. I thought him and Reynolds were the most underrated receivers in this draft. He will fit into the WCO very well. I really dig this pick.

I'm not a big Legget fan, I don't have a lot of hope for players that think they are so good at the collegiate level, they can just half ass everything. I'm the fifth though, the talent is there, the round makes sense for a player like this, so I can't hate on it too hard. I'm cautiously optimistic with this pick.

Donahue, I admittedly didn't watch anything on him, I don't spend a lot of time on DII players to be honest. However, I feel a lot better about this pick after reading how much Kevin Greene was infatuated with this kid. If you have a HOF LB/Coach loving this pick, I can't knock it. I'm excited to see what Mr Greene can do with this kid. He also has a non stop motor, ferocious type of player, I'm excited about that.

McGuire is going to be a return guy, perhaps play some gunner on ST, with potential development type qualities at RB. We absolutely need better play from our ST unit and this is what this pick was about. I'm good with it.

Clark has a TON of potential to be special at CB. Seriously. Watch his tape, he has very impressive traits for the position. Obviously though, he is a reach in the sense that he has dealt with A LOT of injuries. A lot. Those injuries have no doubt hindered his development at the position as well. There was a reason he tried to go back to school, he knew he has potential but won't get drafted because of everything he's been dealing with in college. With coaching he could be a starter for us down the road. As long as he stays healthy. Also will likely contribute on ST.

Jones is raw, with potential. Had some good moments in college and is versatile. Will likely be a factor for ST as well.

Overall, I'm pleased with this draft. I knew we wouldn't be able to hit every need position. I'm glad they clearly stuck to their board, they didn't force anything, they got additional chances at hitting with the trade backs. I know they drafted twice at multiple positions but I look at it as, they are giving theirselves more chances at those positions for one of the two guy scout to at least stick, if not both, which would be even better. I'm ok with that. We need help wherever we can get it, seems like they stuck to their board, so hopefully some of these calculated risks pays off in the end. If nothing else, solid depth goes a long ways. Better ST play should happen for us this upcoming season as well.

I have a feeling we didn't go heavy with EDGE guys as well because I'm willing to bet they still are hopeful the guys we already have can pan out and break out for us. Time will tell. Greene will have a chance to get the best out of them, in confident in his ability to do so.

A- Grade for me. Very solid draft, high character guys, nice quality, good intangible guys, high potential, better ST.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  11. cbman13

cbman13 Well-Known Member

Talent wise ill go B+..... But doubling down on WR and Safty with all our other needs bumps it down to a B..... We didn't really reach for anyone, and got decent value for each pick...... We also got 4-5 guys would could play big roles earmy here..... (Adams, Maye, Stewart, Hanson, Leggit)

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

12. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

The one thing that I didn't factor into my grade which would've made it an (A+) is the fact that we didn't reach on any players and we didn't draft a QB. Then again it's offset somewhat by moving out of the 4th and 5th round.

13. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

i am so fucking sick of reading about how we didn't fill our needs

do people not understand that this draft was a complete dumpster fire at those positions? i mean damn, if we drafted like how most of this board wanted, we would not field a roster that could compete in the NCAA.

this team is completely devoid of talent. we need to add great football players, plain and simple. all analysts, who are impartial, have given the Jets rave reviews for their draft. if you reach for need, you end up with some shit LT like Flowers and regret it immediately. did they draft for need and miss out on better prospects? yes. does their LT position still suck ass? yes

14. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Sluggo Mixon.

[​IMG]

15. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Well considering you were against the Jets drafting a top-3 talent at #6 there was no need reading the rest of whatever it was you posted.

You should apply for the Bears' GM position.

Freddy Mondo, Dom and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  16. rsc1589

rsc1589 Active Member

This team won't do sh until we have a qb anyways.

17. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I hope Maccagnan gets the chance to continue his vision.

It's clear the Jets won't be in playoff contention this season. All we can hope for is growth for our young players and a top 5 draft pick.

Top priority should be QB and OL in the next draft.

18. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

The NFL is a passing league and Macc took steps to better our offense with 3 potential playmakers in Stewart, Hansen and Leggett. Maybe we'll eventually get something out of McGuire too. Macc also took steps to try and stop opponents passing attacks by getting the best safety in the draft and one of the best players overall. He also got another complementary safety who was BPA at the time. And he got 2 developmental CBs later in draft.

None of this was sexy nor splashy but it was fundamental football. You guys complaining about it are still having Tanny withdrawal.

19. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Yes, that was what everyone said since the end of the football season and leading up to the draft, especially at QB. Yet three organizations thought enough of 3 of the top 4 QBs to draft them in the top 12 and even moved up to get them. But of course the Jets, an organization that has a long history of identifying and drafting top QB talent, knew better. Could be those teams were mistaken and the Jets are right, but it will be interesting to find out.

20. GWjet

GWjet Well-Known Member

I'll go with a B+.

The safety's will sure up our pathetic defensive back field
    The WRs are very intriguing. I love Stewart. If Bama had an even somewhat capable thrower this kid would have been a first rounder
    I love the TE. The laziness tag definitely worries me but this kid has GREAT hands
    I don't know much about the others only what I read but there's potential there

I say the glass is half full