Give Your Draft Grade for 2017

Discussion in 'Draft' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Apr 29, 2017.

?

Draft Grade for The Jets 2017 NFL Draft

1. A+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. A

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. A-

5 vote(s)
    9.3%
  4. B+

11 vote(s)
    20.4%
  5. B

15 vote(s)
    27.8%
  6. B-

7 vote(s)
    13.0%
  7. C+

5 vote(s)
    9.3%
  8. C

3 vote(s)
    5.6%
  9. C-

4 vote(s)
    7.4%
  10. D or worse

4 vote(s)
    7.4%
  1. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

Just short and sweet, maybe a few words to detail why you graded the way you did.

I'll start. I'm going with a (B-). I felt like things were really going in the right direction, I loved the safety picks back to back based on who the 2 players were and I was ok and understood the WR selection of Stewart. It was after this selection that things got a little foggy for me.

So next we pick up another WR, the guys tape looks solid and most analyst seem to think he fell to us there and grade it out well. But it's 2 WR's back to back and I'm still trying to puzzle out where Stewart fits in with Deck, Q, Anderson, Marshall and Peake. I'm guessing Marshall is the odd man out most likely , then we draft a Decker clone which really has me stumped. Would They really consider going into 2017 with potentially Hack under center with Q being the "vet" WR and a bunch of 2nd year/rookies as his support?..

Trading out at #114 and #125 didn't make any sense to me. I felt like we missed out on a few players like: Ryan Switzer, Jake Butt, Damontae Kazee. I'm no GM, just some guy with a PC who watches football. But to me it seems the 4th & 5th rounds are the ones you want to get into, not trade down into the 6th just to add 2 additional picks total at the end of the day *shrug*.

Dylan Donahue and Elijah McGuire being selected leave me scratching my head. A tweener DE and an undersized RB. Mauldin and Powell clones? To me it was the 3 selections from #150 - #188 that make me question the thought process involved. We miss Butt by trading back and pickup 2 guys that we already have on the roster. Then we round out with 2 long tall CB's, I approve.

#1 DarrelleRevis.Human?, Apr 29, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
  2. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

C+ with potential to improve. I think the efficacy of this draft is dependent on the late round players overachieving. We'll see how it goes, but overall I'm satisfied.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk

FJF and ColoradoContrails like this.
  3. JulesWinfield89

JulesWinfield89 Active Member

impossible to give better than a C...We hopefully got two starting safeties but little else

westiedog1 likes this.
  4. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

Well considering I was against drafting Adams before the draft I'm giving it a D.

As far as I'm concerned McCagnan and Bowles can't leave town fast enough. Three years into the regime we still don't have a QB or really any offensive pieces to build around outside of Enunwa (thanks Idzik).

These two think they are going to save their job by telling the owner that they drafted 4-5 starters by years end. Newsflash: Nobody cares that you drafted a couple of low impact starters on a 2-14 team. The Jets are not only bad they are BORING. There will be empty seats in October!

5. JulesWinfield89

JulesWinfield89 Active Member

we cant have bad character guys like Mixon or Dalvin...character is really important in a violent sport played by roided up men dont you know

6. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

B minus

We got more picks vs big names which personally is not a bad philosophy

No Cook and No OL ...headscratcher at rnd 2 too

But the WRs and TE look good

The RB and CBs may pan out who knows

westiedog1 likes this.
  7. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

B - no big reaches, no head scratching picks but nothing to get very excited about either - just a shame it was such a poor year from a QB and OL perspective in terms of the quality of talent available - nothing is going to change until we finally get a QB we can build around (which will probably never happen but you have to live in hope)

westiedog1 likes this.
  8. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

A very well written post. Thank you. You captured my misgivings with the draft very well. I don't have a problem with the 6th round picks. They were reaches with some upside. I have concern about the value given up to make these reaches. Like most people i really wanted Butte but maybe Leggett was the guy they wanted all along. I think they fell in love with trading down. Mac has done a good job of finding value late. Hopefully he will prove us wrong this year. But regardless, I am excited about Adams, the other safety, Leggett and the 2 WES. Hopefully, next year we can work on building the OL.

Thank you for the well thought out post.

#8 Noam, Apr 29, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
  9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

C+

Adams, a no-brainer for most, even though I would've taken Mahomes or McCaffrey, I know that opinion is in the minortiy, but okay, Adams will make a difference, so I can't knock that. But taking a 2nd Safety with the 2nd pick when the offense needs so much help? Or failing that, a stud pass rusher? And then the trading down, for what? Practice?

It just seems like "Doing the same thing over and over...": draft "D",and then if you have any picks left think about picking some scraps up for the "O". If these guys, plus the guys Macc has drafted previously, don't live up to the faith he's placed in them, he and Bowles need to go.

fansince90 and westiedog1 like this.
  10. DSL97

DSL97 Member

Pretty much summed up my thoughts analytically. I was pissed when we traded out 3rd, and then even MORE pissed the 4th when Jake butt was still there.

11. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Adams is a stud. Like mayes. Love legget, stewart could be good, and hopefully a couple of 6th rounders pan out. C+

12. ColoradoContrails

I've got to say, as I read your assessment I was thinking, "So he thinks this was a damn good draft...maybe B+, a-?" but then you put C+...that doesn't seem to match. Where is the "meh" factor coming from? Not that I disagree, because I also gave a C+, but you seemed much more jazzed about the picks in other comments you've made.

fansince90 likes this.
  13. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

My only real beef is trading out the last time, I'd rather get OT that went to CLE.

Donahue is a question mark also, but if they plan to use him to improve ST, and he works, then I won't have a problem. So I'm in wait & see on that.

All else are between A and B. So overall it's somewhere in the B- area.

14. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

It doesn't look like a franchise changing draft so no A.
    The double dip at wr perplexes me enough to keep the B in my pocket. But adams and legget both have me pumped so that raises the C to C+

101GangGreen101 and westiedog1 like this.
  15. ColoradoContrails

Got it. Thanks.

16. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

I voted B+.
    Loved the first 2 picks,also Leggette and Stewart we're great picks and true value picks.
    The 2 WRs we're head scratching, but learning that Devin Smith is out for the year, and not knowing Decker's future, it makes sense now.
    Not the sexy big name haul most had hoped for but very solid.
    I'm sure the Jets have all ready reached out to Some UDFAs. Tooth, Orlosky, Boulware and Skipper come to mind.
    Filled alot of holes on a roster full of needs. In my opinion, a very solid start to a full rebuild. Finally....

17. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

B

Jets overhauled the secondary, get a stud safety and maybe who can potentially be very good, the Jets clearly wanted to attack the back end of their defense. They also took two big physical corners which leads me to believe between Burris, they want to play press man to man more, they are both either raw or off injury but both are talented.

Offense they grabbed Stewart who maybe a Enuwma clone, so I love that picked. Hansen may become a solid contributor but add them to Quincy, Anderson, Peake (less so Marshall who maybe on his way out due to bonehead decisions) and it's a ton of promise and youth.

Leggett has promise, just not sure if he's a long term answer here, he has to outproduce Amaro though right???

They didn't really attack LB much and drafted a tweener DE, and didnt grab OL...maybe they are confident with what they have but they didn't try to bring guys in at need positions.

18. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

Post this in 2 years

Dom likes this.
  19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I'll grade it in 2 years.

I liked what they did though. Doubling up on the areas where they had to get somebody was a very interesting plan that takes into account the reality that some of these guys will fail. I think both safeties are solid and then after that every other double up was insurance with ST depth as the big payoff if both work out.

I liked Leggett in the 5th too. Very solid value for that round and at a position that succeeds more often early on than most.

Dom and NYJetsO12 like this.
  20. 73klecko

73klecko Member

This draft needed to be a home run. It was not. We came into the off season having desperate needs at the four most important positions in football...QB, LT, pass rusher and CB. Currently Josh McCown, Kelvin Beachum, Lorenzo Mauldin & Mo Claiborne man those spots. Clearly the worst situation in football. Any reasonable person can foresee that these will continue to be major needs next year.

I like Adams and I think Maye is good and will break our 2nd round curse but back-to-back safety's? We draft two WR's when that is the one position on our entire team where we have young promising players? Not a big fan of Leggette, would have taken M Roberts, Butt or Sprinkle instead because he's lazy and does not block at all. Finally, the guy from West Georgia is a joke of a pick. Could have had him as a UDFA. He is slow, small, changin positions and played against insurance agents and has t-rex arms. Oh I forgot, he hustles hard.

Mac took the BPA way too far.

C-