Giants hire Dave Gettleman as GM

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by TonyFtLaud, Dec 28, 2017.

1. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Per CBS sports

Giants tab ex-Panthers GM Dave Gettleman to serve as general manager

• By John Breech
    • 1h ago • 2 min read
    Less than one month after firing general manager Jerry Reese, the Giants have already found his replacement.

The team announced on Thursday that Dave Gettleman has been tabbed to serve as the team's next general manager. The 66-year-old has a long history with the Giants and worked in the team's front office between 1998 and 2012 when New York won two Super Bowls.

Giants president John Mara and chairman Steve Tisch said that Gettleman's prior experience with the organization was a big reason why they liked him for the job.

"Given where we are as a team, we thought it was important to bring in someone with experience as a general manager and a proven track record," Mara and Tisch said in a statement. "Dave's experience is unparalleled. He did an outstanding job as general manager in Carolina, and he was vital to our success during his tenure here. Dave is going to bring his own approach to our organization in how we draft and acquire players through free agency."

Gettleman was only available to he hired because he was surprisingly fired by the Panthers back in July after four years with the team. Despite the fact that the Panthers went to the playoffs three times in four seasons under Gettleman's watch, he still lost favor with owner Jerry Richardson over the way he treated veterans like Steve Smith, DeAngelo Williams and Josh Norman.

Despite the apparent disconnect, Gettleman's tenure in Carolina was still wildly successful on the field. Not only did the Panthers go to the playoffs three times, but they also went to Super Bowl 50 after a 15-1 season in 2015.

As soon as the Giants' GM job became open after the firing of Reese on Dec. 4, Gettleman immediately became a frontrunner for the job. CBS Sports NFL Insider Jason La Canfora reported as early as Dec. 10 that Gettleman would likely be hired. However, before hiring Gettleman, the Giants interviewed three other candidates, including interim general manager Kevin Abrams, Giants vice president of player evaluation Marc Ross and former NFL personnel executive and current ESPN analyst Louis Riddick.

It's a good thing the Giants hired Gettleman now because it's going to take some serious work to clean up the mess that Reese and Ben McAdoo left him. At 2-13, the Giants are currently staring at possibly getting the No. 2 overall pick in the draft, which is good news for a team that has several holes to fill and doesn't seem to have any plans in place to replace an aging Eli Manning.

Gettleman started his career with the Giants in 1998 when he was hired as an assistant to the pro personnel director. He was then promoted to pro personnel director in 1999 and remained there until 2011. Gettleman also served one season in 2012 as the team's senior pro personnel analyst.

The Giants' new GM has been in the NFL since 1986, when he was hired to serve as an intern in the Bills scouting department.

Red Menace likes this.
  2. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

When I first found out about this, my thoughts were the Giants made a great move. Also why did not the Jets consider him?

My other side of my brain asks why was he fired? The rumor was the players were starting to dislike him. But one could ask should the GM be popular with the players?

3. TonyFtLaud

I'm thinking that the Jets did not consider him because they were not looking for a GM. Why did not the Patriots consider him?

As far as why he was fired, the players don't have to like the GM but when the entire staff is having issues with him, your players want out as soon as possible and won't consider extensions opting to leave in free agency ,and you screw up a Superbowl roster. It's time to part ways.

BacktoQueens and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  4. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Judging by the press conference, it sounds like he might continue with Eli Manning ... does that open the door for the Jets to get a QB at the top?

5. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I said this in another post, Giants are set at QB with Davis Webb waiting in the shadows.

They need offensive help and I can see them taking O line help or Saquan Barkley.

Other than Odel who do they have that's explosive?

They also have just hired the GM who helped build the Panthers we see today, I'm sure they will be in the playoffs either next year or the year after.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  6. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Great hire by the Giants and it became a no brainer once their season started going down the tubes. He did a impressive job in Carolina building a team that made a serious run at a undefeated season ultimately finished 17-2. Lucky b@stards that a GM of this caliber was available right when they needed a new GM.

The reasons I read for why he was fired don't seem too legit to me. So he's not a warm n fuzzy kinda guy that likes to hand out lifetime accomplishment contracts to older players so what?

Look at what happened there (Carolina) recently too with the owner getting exposed as a workplace degenerate only makes Gettleman look better.

Carolina will be a bottom of the barrel team in a few years they're running on Gettleman fumes right now that won't last.

HomeoftheJets and Red Menace like this.
  7. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

They're drafting a QB.

Eli is 37.

Even if they stick with Eli for another year or two they're not passing up the chance to draft his replacement this year.

8. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I think they are taking a long look at Barkley or the lineman.

Red Menace likes this.
  9. Patriot

I think you know why the Patriots didn't consider him. I can't see Bill firing himself.

I was unaware of the staff not liking him also. It is amazing how personalities play a role in business.

10. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Posted essentially the same in another thread.

Red Menace likes this.
  11. TonyFtLaud

I don't think that the Giants drafting a QB is contingent on Eli staying or leaving. Eli is likely at the end of his career and the Giants would be drafting his successor. If they don't think that QB of their future is there, they could pass on QB, take a different position or trade down.
    I knew why the Patriots didn't hire him, just like you knew why the Jets didn't hire him.
    Personalities can make or break a career in business , in life. Some people are just difficult to get along with. If it's one or a few people they have differences with it's not usually an issue. When it's everyone ,it's an issue......

12. Patriot

I honestly did not know Gettleman was disliked by the coaching staff. My gut tells me there had to be an incident that was the final straw that caused his firing during the pre season.

As to the Patriots I meant Bill is the GM and he is not going to fire himself. I could not see Gettleman taking a lower spot. If you are right about Gettleman, the Giants are really going to be dysfunctional.

13. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

I can see Giants entertaining trading down if they want to go all in with Eli this year while hedging their bets. The key would be to find the right suitor, i.e. a team likely to be bad enough next year to convey a top 8ish pick in 2019, much the way Cleveland struck gold with Houston's pick this year. The teams that best fit that description are the Jets, Cardinals & maybe Miami. If they can trade down, land Barkley or an OL, pick up additional picks this year as well as a high pick next year, it may be worth delaying drafting another QB.

14. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

IMO, unless the Giants are secretly sold on Davis Webb, they would be absolute morons to not take one of these QBs with one of the top two picks. I would still be shocked if they don't take a QB. We'll see.