Get a Pick Back

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Chrisiue, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Chrisiue

Chrisiue Well-Known Member

Is it possible that the Jets will be pleased with any one of 3 QBs, Cleveland takes Barkley at one, Giants take Chubb, possible after dumping JPP, Cleveland wants a certain QB and doesn’t know who the Jets will take so they offer the Jets a no.3 pick to move up one spot and the Jets not caring which one they get take the deal.

2. Seth

Seth Active Member

Browns are not taking Barkley at 1.

Cman68 and FJF like this.
  3. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

The Jets traded up for a QB. They will NOT move back!

macbk, Cman68, apjbfc and 2 others like this.
  4. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Hopefully they take Allen and the Jints take Barkely or Chubb. Shit'll be wild waiting for the announcement

playtowinthegame and JetsFan like this.
  5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

No, it isn't possible. Enough with the silly scenarios.

westiedog1 and Cman68 like this.
  6. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Here is a way: Package Hackenberg, Petty, Devin Smith, Jalin Marshall, and Charone Peake together for a 7th Round Pick.

BOOM! Get a pick back!

7. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

This isn't Draft Day.

NCJetsfan and xxedge72x like this.
  8. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

jets would take Darnold in this situation, not trade out

playtowinthegame likes this.
  9. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

and the 7th round pick would be in 2025

10. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

You'd have to call WM for a bulk pickup for that much trash...

11. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

It would appear very foolish if the Jets were to pivot out of their pick after what they gave up to get there. The only way I think this is at all possible, and still incredibly unlikely, is if someone offered them much more than they gave up, to the point of being unreasonable.

The Jets have other options for recouping picks. Mac has in the past traded down with later round picks to acquire more picks. He did this last year.

Also, Teddy Bridgewater is a potential avenue for acquiring more capital next year. IF Bridgewater is completely healthy, our rookie QB will have to show that he is light years ahead of Bridgewater to earn the starting job over him. The Jets have every reason to get a healthy Bridgewater on the field and succeeding, so they can sell him next year at a premium. This also gives the rookie pressure free time to work on whatever needs work. McCown doesn't offer this potential.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

Rosen or Darnold.....that's a tough call right there if you have your pick of the two. I would go with the guy without the concussions. Sam I Am.

13. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

I agree that Bridgewater playing can be good for the Jets, but he is signed to a one year contract with no options (player or team), so the Jets won't be able to sell him for anything next year unless they franchise him, which seems extremely unlikely. The best the Jets can hope for is that they (1) sign him because they want to make him the starter, (2) trade him to a playoff/Super Bowl contender during the season, or (3) let him walk and hope for a compensatory pick.

I can't see any reason for McCown to play if Bridgewater is able to play, but I personally think it's doubtful that he'll be able to at any reasonable level (he'll either be too hurt or too rusty). I hope I'm wrong.

14. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Franchising him is exactly what I was thinking. If he plays and finishes top 15 in the league, it is worth tagging him, and taking on the $ risk that creates, in hopes of soliciting trade offers from a QB needy team.

No certainty at all, but to me it is the upside of having Bridgewater here while on the verge of drafting a rookie who will eventually own the position. If it doesn't pan out, it doesn't cost the Jets much at all, and if it does, the pay off could be tremendous.

15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I could be wrong, of course, but I don't think rust will be too much of an issue for Teddy. He practiced and even played a few snaps at the end of last season. He's an incredibly motivated/driven player and hard worker. He doesn't know the meaning of quit or take it easy.

Why do you think it unlikely that the Jets would tag him? Couldn't they use the transitional tag or franchise tag? How about tender offer? Would that apply? I'm not familiar with all the rules regarding those things, but it seems to me that they ought to be able to use at least one of those means to try to either keep Teddy or trade him and get something in return.

I think he would probably bring a 3rd round compensatory pick if nothing else, but with the Jets likely to be big players in FA again next year, they'd wind up not getting anything if they go that route.

16. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

The franchise tag on QBs is going to be $25 million next year; I think there is no way the Jets would sign him to that unless he has a great year, in which case we're in scenario (1), where they would actually try to sign him to be the starter. IMO that's way too much to risk unless he has a far better year than I think is realistic to expect. A transition tag would cost around $20 million, and really accomplishes nothing, since if he signs with another team the Jets get nothing (again, the point here is that the Jets get something for him if they don't want to keep him). Tender offers are given to restricted free agents; he will be an unrestricted free agent, so it doesn't apply.

As far as I know, no player has ever come back from the kind of injury he had. I think it's very unrealistic to think that a great work ethic is going to change that. Once the Jets signed him to a one year deal, rather than a one-year deal with a team option for the second year, they made it far less likely that they'll end up getting anything very useful out of this (which is why I think Macc should have paid more and insisted on a team option for the second year). It will be great if it happens, but history suggests that it's more likely Bridgewater won't even make the team than that he'll have the kind of year that would warrant risking $20+ million on him.