General Film Talk Thread

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by The Dark Knight, Jul 19, 2018.

1. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

'The Gift' with Joel Edgerton and Jason Bateman. It was a little draggy in some places, but the moral of the story is don't be a bully. You just might get mind fucked hard and get yours. "The past is not done with you." No, no it isn't.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Looks like it could be good. I have always wanted to see Mysterio on the big screen. I have to assume this takes place BEFORE Infinity War.

3. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

I'm thinking it's after but Sony and Marvel are doing a good job hiding Endgame spoilers. No way the ending of IW stays permanent, especially given the success of the movies for some characters (trying not to spoil stuff so I'm being vague)

4. The Dark Knight

Yeah, good point. We don't necessarily know what happens in EndGame either. Something could happen where things get reversed or changed and that allows Far From Home to take place in the future. Otherwise, the logical thought it that it takes place before. We will see.

So we have Captain Marvel taking place in the 90's, EndGame taking place right after Infinity War, and Far From Home potentially being before or after Infinity War based on what happens in EndGame. The Marvel timeline is fun! :Do_O

5. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

I'm thinking the ending gets reversed but I don't think it comes without consequence, maybe they can bring in the FF and X-Men using this? Honestly have no idea what's going to happen in Endgame which is maintaining peak hype.

6. jetophile

"Night of the Hunter". Everyone knows the LOVE HATE tattooed on Robert Mitchum's knuckles, but it amazes me how many people have never actually SEEN this masterpiece (directed by Charles Laughton). Robert Mitchum is absolutely chilling, and much of the movie is very surreal. Mitchum fueled his character from all of the death he saw in WWII. It's in my top 500 films of all time. It basically flunked at the box office, which is so hard to believe.

I had a middle school teacher who was in love with Robert Mitchum. I don't mean weird delusion, she just adored him as an actor. If you've never seen it, do yourself a favor and watch it. Basically a psycho con artist 'preacher' and grifter with serial killer tendencies with abject cruelty running through his veins . . . well, I won't ruin it. This film is so worth your time. Don't miss it. It's morbidly fascinating. ; )

7. jetophile

Another recommendation: Sir David Lean's 'Lawrence of Arabia'. It is so visually stunning, it's breathtaking. The match scene that cuts to that blood red sun, it never gets old.

Of course I've seen the movie on TV several times growing up, but I saw it in a theater on a huge full screen about 20 years ago and I was absolutely blown away. Peter O'Toole, I don't think you could get away with that name today, haha. Sir Alec Guinness is also in it. Some of the more minor characters are a little bit more interesting to me than O'Toole's 'Lawrence', but his piercing blue eyes and the cinematography are just amazing. See it. You won't be sorry.

8. jetophile

Not for anything, but why can't they ever make anything other than comic book/ superhero movies? Well, a huge part of that is because obviously these movies make a shit ton of money so duh, but it gets on my nerves sometimes. Every time I turn around there's another one. It's almost as if people can't come up with original ideas anymore.

I respect everyone's childlike wonder with it all and I 100% respect and admire comic book art as an art form (because it is), but it's just not my go-to for a movie. For instance, I hated 'Wonder Woman'. I thought it was vapid and stupid, but at least I didn't pay to see it, haha. Eh, to each their own, it's what makes the world go 'round.

9. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Amazing cinematography. Just the best. As far as narrative goes I prefer Zhivago by Lean, but visually it's not in the same league. My brother in law is related to Lean, great nephew I think.

10. The Dark Knight

Yeah, you said it best: They make money. They definitely make a lot of comic book films and this year is no different. Captain Marvel, Shazam!, Avengers: Endgame, Spider-Man Far From Home, Hellboy, Glass, X-Men: Dark Phoenix, New Mutants, Joker and probably even more.

Sequels also are the big money maker and this year has Toy Story 4, Star Wars Episode IX, The Lego Movie 2, Godzilla: King of the Monsters, Frozen 2, John Wick 3, Men In Black: International, Zombieland 2, etc.

I agree, I wish there were more original ideas in Hollywood these days.

11. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Loved the original series The Equalizer.

Denzel did a great job in the first Equalizer movie, no fear, super violent, good story.

Saw Equalizer 2 tonite.

What a piece of shit.

12. jetophile

They're making 'Shazam!' into a movie?! Holy Crap, HAH. I know for sure you weren't born yet, but it was a TV series in the 70s. They used to pair it with 'The Secrets of Isis' on CBS on Saturday mornings. They are both HILARIOUSLY bad. I was only 10 and I thought they were bad THEN. My friends and I used to laugh like hell. Do yourself a favor and hunt down some episodes. You won't regret it.

EDIT: Here, this is just a mere taste. Do I lie? Also one of the 'Isis' episodes that makes me laugh the hardest is the one about Bigfoot. It's out there. Meaning it's on the web, but it's also out there.

EDIT again: I forgot that I posted about this on the first page of the thread where you had already mentioned 'Shazam!' I'm losing it. o_O

#172 jetophile, Jan 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
  13. Rollo Tomassi

2 for 2.

Saw Bad Times at the El Royale.

Steaming pile of shit. Tried WAY too hard to be Quentin Tarrantino-esque and failed miserably.

Tried a catchy sound track, clever dialogue, skipping back and forth in time.

Awful.

And Thor? No reason for him to be in the movie other than an excuse to walk around with his shirt off.

14. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Try Aquaman.. You might like that one..

15. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Can i just say how good Dragon Ball Super Broly actually was? If you are a fan of the series or even if it's casual, do yourself a favor and see it.

The animation is fantastic. It's Avery well done film and it's grossed 20 mil in one week despite being in half the theaters of Glass

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

16. Rollo Tomassi

Actually saw a really good one last week.

Molly's Game. Great true story, very well filmed, taut suspenseful story telling and afterward reading about who the true main characters were was pretty interesting.

Plus Jessica Chastin was very easy on the eyes--looked really good in this film.

Cman68 and The Dark Knight like this.
  17. Cidusii

Cidusii Well-Known Member

Finally got to see Spiderverse earlier this week. Such a good movie! The colour scheme really buzzed me out at first and I thought I was accidentally at a 3D viewing without the glasses, until I saw no one else was wearing them haha. Took some getting used to.

There seem to be a lot of really enjoyable movies lately. Grindelwald, Spiderverse, and Bohemian Rhapsody, and They Shall Not Grow Old, have all really been on point.

18. jetophile

'A Soldier's Story'. Watch it for the acting. Period. That's all I really have to say about that.

RIP Howard E. Rollins, Jr. Great actor and a major talent. He basically went into a cocaine spiral and contracted AIDS before there was treatment and died. Rats. What a shame. Adolph Caesar, also now deceased. Again, watch it for the acting alone. At least Denzel Washington is still alive and he's great in it. You're welcome.

19. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Stay far away from "Widows"..

20. jetophile

'Mephisto' with Klaus Maria Brandauer. It's such a great flick. Frig it, SPOILER: an actor sells his soul to the Nazis.