General Film Talk Thread

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by The Dark Knight, Jul 19, 2018.

1. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Supposedly the writer based a lot of it on his self, he must have had a fun life lol

I got it for my birthday on dvd about 8-10 years ago, I can't remember it when it came out as I was just a football mad kid that just played out and tbh I doubt we even had a vhs player in the house, I got one of those when I was 15 so 31 years ago, ha on checking it came out the same year I got the machine, how ironic and mad to think that film is 32 year old, 32 :eek::eek::eek:

2. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Legend has it that there’s a drinking game in which you try to drink what the characters are drinking on film and if you keep up with them you should end up hospitalized.

K'OB likes this.
  3. joe

joe Well-Known Member

EMFJI ...

Dir: Robert Downey Sr.

Cman68 likes this.
  4. K'OB

I have heard the same but man that is some amount of booze in under 2 hours lol

chin chin

5. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

I saw 'The Shape of Water' last night. It was OK, but I expected better . . . ? The lead actress Sally Hawkins was great as well as Michael Shannon so that much was worth it, but some of it didn't suspend my disbelief the way it should have (the flooding of the apartment and then the main character telling her co-worker that the creature had some kind of penis) . . . ? It's worth a watch, though. I like del Toro a lot. 'The Devil's Backbone' is great (see horror flick thread).

The Dark Knight likes this.
  6. jetophile

I believe it.

K'OB likes this.
  7. K'OB

I watched Donnie Darko for old times sake last night, full film on youtube, it is still a belter of a film and still powerful and emotional even knowing the ending.

8. jetophile

That's so funny that you should bring that up! I just saw it again two nights ago and it has certainly held up (although it gets minor deductions for the overuse of the word like, haha). I think Jake Gyllenhaal gets shit on as an actor far more than he deserves. He's turned in some great performances over his career. 'Jarhead', 'Zodiac', 'Nightcrawler', and 'Nocturnal Animals'. His sister Maggie on the other hand . . . She's OK. 'Secretary' with James Spader is pretty quirky.

K'OB likes this.
  9. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

He was great in Nightcrawler.

What a surprisingly good creepy movie.

barfolomew likes this.
  10. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Vice was next on my list. Guess I will see Mary Poppins Returns or Bumblebee instead. 2 weeks until GLASS comes out too!

11. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

You heard correctly...

12. jetophile

'Heavenly Creatures' with Melanie Lynskey and Kate Winslet (screen debuts for both). I was disturbed for days over the murder of the Mom. They give her cake, lure her to her death, and bash her head in with a brick. Recommend for great acting, do not recommend if you have a weak stomach. It was an infamous murder case in New Zealand in the mid '50s (Parker and Hulme). They were released from prison after not serving all that long (if I recall) and melted into relative nothingness much like Caril Ann Fugate in the U.S. (but Fugate served much longer). I think one of them became a crime writer . . . ? lol.

13. The Dark Knight

14. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

15. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I thought the Mule sucked. really bad. The acting wasn't good and the story itself wasn't even all that interesting

16. jetophile

If you're into documentaries (which I am, of all kinds), 'Crumb'. Morbidly fascinating. I'll leave it at that.

Love Robert Crumb or hate him, it's a fascinating delve into the mind of an artist. I have some cemented and immovable opinions of why people make art, why man always has, and I know that I'm not wrong about any of it. First and foremost: I was here.

I also highly recommend 'The Cave of Forgotten Dreams' (Herzog). I was blown away, but most of you would probably prefer to watch paint dry. <==Heh. Cave art has always proven my opinion(s) about art even more. All that aside, how someone can draw without observation like that is beyond surreal.

17. The Dark Knight

I did not feel that way, but like I said: It wasn't amazing. It was made for an older audience too. They all seemed to enjoy it. Cool fact I found out about The Mule: It actually had a really fast production and post-production. They shot it in June and July, and edited it and had it ready for theaters by December 14th. I looked into that because Bradley Cooper looked so different than he did in A Star is Born, so I wondered which was shot first.

18. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

it makes sense that it was done so quickly. It looked like it was. Just a quick money grab. I hate movies like that

A Star is Born was very well done though

19. The Dark Knight

Yeah, agreed about A Star is Born. I guess I was just impressed with The Mule because Clint Eastwood is 88 years old. To direct, act, and have a film out within 6 months is impressive. You are right though, the films made quick and just thrown to theaters usually are just money grabs and also explains why it was not a great overall film.

20. jetophile

@The Dark Knight, yeah, there were rhinos in Europe 40,000+ years ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cave Lions (long extinct) are depicted as preying in motion. It's unbelievable. So watch it you're a boring person!

EDIT: Like I said, I was here:

[​IMG]

#160 jetophile, Jan 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2019