General Film Talk Thread

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by The Dark Knight, Jul 19, 2018.

1. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Looks good! Oscar Isaac is the man and we know Ben Kingsley is great. Not so sure about Nick Kroll in a serious role though. Hope he pulls it off.

3. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

A hat-tip to Giallo, one of my favorite genres (with a little Spaghetti Western thrown in). Will be seeing. Just a question to TDK, is this thread supposed to be just for new releases and recently released flicks, or anything goes as to how old the movie is? I won't bog your thread down with horror entries - unless it's something singularly exceptional, like 'Hereditary'. Besides, there's a separate horror movie thread. : )

EDIT & P.S.: Will mostly be seeing for the over the top gore and gratuitous body count, lol.

#43 jetophile, Aug 21, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
  4. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

The Meg wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Jason Statham didn't punch or kick anyone. CGI was ok. Good summer killing time movie.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  5. Cman68

The Godzilla 2 trailer was great! Looks like they're bringing back the entire clan. Mothra, Rodan, King Ghidora. The only one missing is Kong.

6. The Dark Knight

Yeah, looks cool. Did you watch the Post-Credits scene in Kong: Skull Island? Looks like they will all be together soon. Wouldn't shock me if King Kong made an appearance in Godzilla: King of the Monsters. I think they announced they are doing a Kong-Godzilla movie next. Not sure.

Cman68 likes this.
  7. Cman68

For those of us that grew up with these icons, this is welcome news. I'm curious to see how they weave these monsters into a viable story line. I hope its not gonna be a mashup. I would think the first Godzilla movie was a warm up. Gave them the opportunity to dial in the CGI. I hope its not gonna be another "night movie" where almost every damn scene is at night. That's why I pass on 4k DVD's that have too many night scenes.

Hard to believe that the original Godzilla: King of the Monsters was shot in 1954. That's a year before I was born and I still watch it on occasion just for kicks. :)

dawinner127 and The Dark Knight like this.
  8. The Dark Knight

Looks good. Probably the last X-Men film as we know it too, since Disney bought Fox.

9. jetophile

Sorry, I'll never for the life of me know why people keep trying to mess with perfection.

EDIT & P.S.: Fun fact: the classic Godzilla noise we all know and love was a lion's roar played backwards. Kong's noise was just a lion's roar.

EDIT & P.PS.: The other video was better quality, but this just better in general. I love the way the guy in the Kong suit kind of scratches his ass trying to act like an ape. Or maybe something was up his crack? This movie never gets old. There used to be a website called 'Stomp Tokyo'. It was so great and very funny. Every movie in the genre ever made. It doesn't exist anymore. : (

#49 jetophile, Sep 28, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
  10. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Disagree; it looks terrible and although I am very rarely blown away by Marvel’s movies I look forward to them making an X-Men movie that feels like the characters I used to read when I was 10.

11. The Dark Knight

It was moved from December to February. Now today it was moved from February to June. Not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing. I liked First Class and Days of Future Past a lot. Apocalypse wasn't great, but it had it's moments. The Dark Phoenix story line is cool, and I think Sophie Turner has done a good job as Jean so far. Plus it looks like Mystique dies in the trailer, so that will make people happy. :D

12. jetophile

@Cman60, see my video? LMAO. I've never seen any modern incarnation(s) that were even close to what we grew up with. I almost wish they would just leave it all alone. They don't have the same magic, I don't care what anyone says. Remember 'Frankenstein Conquers the World'? Well it should have been 'Frankenstein's MONSTER Conquers the World', haha. There was also a movie with a robot Kong that I think also fought Frankenstein's monster.

#52 jetophile, Sep 30, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
    Cman68 likes this.
  13. Cman68

Did they actually make this movie????

14. jetophile

Haha, YES! It was actually King Kong vs. Mecha Kong, it's hard to keep my schlock together sometimes, but here's a good mash up:

15. jetophile

Did anyone see the movie 'Tag' with Jon Hamm? It seems ridiculously stupid enough that I just might like it, kind of like I liked 'Dodgeball'. Patches O'Houlihan, lol.

16. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Caught a screening of the Bradley Cooper-Lady Gaga "A Star is Born" remake (Lowes w34th). . Night and day better than the pretentious Babs-Kris vanity case piece o' shit.

17. JetBlue

I believe @Cman60 saw it.

18. JetBlue

There are questions of whether Disney will actually even release it as opppsed to just turning over X-Men Marvel which is inevitable which makes this movie irrelevant other than to conclude a rather irrelevant franchise.

19. Cman68

Yes.. I did see "Tag". It was a funny take on the old kid's game. Comparable to "DodgeBall" in that they take the game to an absurd level. You will get some laughs out of it..

Matinee material on a rainy afternoon. D/L or stream if at all possible.

20. jetophile

I missed where you said that you saw it. OK, will do. I'm kinda picky about dumb comedies mostly because I think it all stems from what kind of mood I was in when I saw them (sick or getting the usual visit from that bitch Aunt Flo). Not really a Meatballs or Caddyshack person, and I generally hated all of the Griswold stuff. Maybe I have a stick up my ass that I'm unaware of, I don't know. I gotta say and I've said it a million times, the last thing I am is an art house snob. It's October 1st! Yay!!! 'Manos The Hands of Fate' is coming out of the box!