General Film Talk Thread

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by The Dark Knight, Jul 19, 2018.

1. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Between 'Mary Poppins Returns' and Lego movies, how old are you, five? I kid, I kid. ; )

Speaking of kids' movies, me and my estranged idiot brother used to pull a fast one on our Mom with 'Chitty Chitty Bang Bang'. If you read the lyrics, it's fckn hilarious. How did they even get away with that?! The truth is, it was UNINTENTIONALLY fckn hilarious. "Shitty shitty bang bang we love you!" "What did you say?" "Um, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang! Bang Bang! Chitty Chitty Chitty Chitty Bang Bang Chitty Chitty Bang Bang Chitty Chitty Bang Bang! Chitty Chitty Bang Bang! Chitty Bang Bang Chitty Chitty Bang Bang! Chitty Bang Bang Chitty Chitty Bang Bang! Chitty Bang Bang Chitty Chitty Bang Bang! Oh, you pretty Chitty Bang Bang, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang we love you! And in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang Chitty Chitty Bang Bang what we'll do!" Which of course is still really bad, because chit and chitty are slang workarounds in American English for shit and shitty and so much banging. Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, haha, it's so ripe for the picking. And what else, the movie starred an actor named Dick Van Dyke. You can't make it up.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  2. jetophile

More Marissa Tomei: 'In the Bedroom', with Tomei, Tom Wilkinson, Sissy Spacek, Nick Stahl, and William Mapother (Tom Cruise the retard idiot's Scientology first cousin - don't know if Mapother is also an idiot Scientologist). The acting is GREAT. Tomei hasn't finalized her divorce from abusive Mapother yet although she has a protection order. She starts up a romance with Stahl who is 10 years her junior, technical still husband wigs out in jealousy. A small Maine town, respected town Doctor (Wilkinson) makes things right in his divided marriage by doing a certain deed. I know Marissa Tomei won an Oscar, but sometimes people who deserve to win don't, and those who don't deserve to win do. She is better than people know. Rough film that left me queasy and uncomfortable for a couple of hours after.

Big, big, BIG spoiler, do NOT read if you don't want to know and haven't seen it:
    Wilkinson sets up Mapother and gets shocking revenge when Mapother is free on bail awaiting trial for murdering his only child (Stahl). I felt a little divided on the vigilantism for 15 seconds. Talk about friends. His friends were present and helped him dispose of the body, his marriage will most likely survive.

3. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Haven't gotten to see Mary Poppins Returns yet, but I will when it comes out on bluray. The Lego movies are pretty good. I like all kinds of films.

Here are a couple new horror re-make trailers. Not sure what to make of either:

4. jetophile

Horror movie thread, buddy. ; )

'After Hours' (1985 Martin Scorsese) with Griffin Dunne, Rosanna Arquette, Linda Fiorentino, John Heard, Catherine O'Hara, Teri Garr. "Marcy, Marcy, Marcy!" I adore this movie. If you were born in Manhattan (put your hands up) you know how weird things can turn to shit on a dime. Every native New Yorker has experienced something akin this, believe it. It's so quirky and darkly hilarious. I saw it in NYC with my friend, Andrea, who was born in NYC (like me!) and has lived there her entire life. We saw it in a theatre together and people were laughing like hell because . . . well . . . NY. And you have to understand that going to the movies in NYC, there are unwritten rules. You'll get shushed to death and beaten with clubs for talking or even whispering. This was guffaw city, hahaha.

EDIT & P.S.: The main character's name is Paul Hackett.

#224 jetophile, Feb 10, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  5. jetophile

More 'After Hours', "Art is forever."

6. The Dark Knight

[​IMG]
    Yikes!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :confused::eek:o_O

phubbadaman likes this.
  7. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

I have seen any of the "live" remakes from Disney but Aladdin just looks like trash. When you add in the "live action" Lion King (which is all animals, so it isn't live action at all....), I'm very disappointed, but Beauty and the Beast made a billion, so they are going to keep pumping these out. I wish they would focus on their older movies, so a new generation (my kids) could watch the old ones like Pinocchio, rather than rewatch movies that don't need a remake and aren't even that old. What is next, an animated version of all the Marvel movies?

8. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Maleficent was an interesting reworking of Sleeping Beauty to be fair, told from the other angle and really added something to the story. Jungle Book wasn't too bad either, but most of the rest seem generic and don't add anything. Will Smith looks fucking awful as the genie.

9. The Dark Knight

Yeah, I loved Aladdin as a kid, so this movie looks even more horrendous to me. Possibly the kids who never saw Aladdin will enjoy it, but I doubt original viewers will because as you said: these re-makes were not needed. Dumbo, Aladdin and The Lion King in one years seems a bit excessive too.

No one could top Robin Williams as Genie, but it looks like they are not even going to try to come close, as this looks brutal.

10. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

These remakes are for the kids of the 90s who now have kids and want to take their kids to see the movies of their youth. haha, what a terrible sentence. Anyway, I also saw Lion King as a kid, and Disney wants the nostalgia to pay for the exact same movie, done with CGI instead of animation. Sorry Disney, I love lots that you do, but remakes isn't one of them.

I never did see Malificent, mostly as I'm not a Jolie fan. I did hear very good things about Jungle Book. On a side note, the kids and I just watched the original Jungle Book this past weekend.

11. jetophile

Saw 'Three Billboards outside of Ebbing, Missouri' last night. It vaguely reminded me of that very famous 'Twilight Zone' episode with Claude Akins: 'The Monsters are Due on Maple Street'. <== Just a connection my kooky brain made. It was a little heavy-handed at times, a lot of black humor (also an intentional pun), but the acting was great by everyone, including the kid who works for the advertising company who agrees to put up the billboards. His scene with that shitty power hungry racist Mama's boy cop, Officer Dixon, is so great (not the scene where he gets beaten, but that one is good, too, as well as the hospital scene). I was supposed to hate Dixon and boy, did I ever. I didn't feel manipulated into hating him, either. What a fantastic performance by Sam Rockwell. Oscar deserved, even though the Academy is for shit half the time.

12. The Dark Knight

Yeah, I liked Three Billboards. Really well made.

13. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Three Billboards was written by Martin McDonagh who's first work I saw as an off Broadway play/ black comedy called The Lieutenant of Inishmore and followed that up with IMHO top 25 movie of all time In Bruges. 7 Psychopaths was good as was 3 BBs but not to the level of In Bruges.

The man is brilliant and his brother John Michael McDonagh is not far behind him with The Guard and Calvary. Can't wait for The Forgiven.

I love that both of them work with Brendan Gleeson who is one of my favorites.

14. The Dark Knight

I guess I need to see Green Book, as it won Best Picture. It looked pretty good, but I just never got around to it.

15. jetophile

The Academy Awards were on? Hahahahahahaha, I had no idea and watched 'The Masque of the Red Death' with Vincent Price on DVD because, well, I adore Vincent Price. Prince Prospero for the win!

16. Rollo Tomassi

I didn't watch the Oscars but saw that Free Solo won for Best Documentary.

17. jetophile

'The Hunt' with Madds Mikkelsen (2013). What a maddening, gut wrenching, horrifying movie, and what a Holy Mother of Shitness performance by Mikkelsen. The barebones is that a teacher in a small town who is starting to put his life together again is falsely accused of sexual abuse and mass hysteria and mob mentality sets in. And yeah, he really didn't fckn do it.

18. Rollo Tomassi

Good or bad? Mads?

Me and the GF are big fans of Mikkelson.

Have been meaning to watch it.

19. jetophile

^He's incredible in it. Or maybe I should say credible? Heh.

20. jetophile

'Only the Lonely' with John Candy, Maureen O'Hara, and Ally Sheedy. It's kind of schlocky and saccharine, but it's a fun harmless movie to wile away a rainy Saturday afternoon. Maureen O'Hara is an overbearing, controlling, Irish Catholic mother who disapproves of everything her son does (Candy). He falls in love with a mortician, and his mother can't deal with being emotionally replaced. There are some scenes that are VERY funny, like one where Candy gets paranoid that he hasn't called his mother and in a fit of guilt he has this vision of her getting killed in a crazy car accident. Maureen O'Hara steals the show. She's great in it. She made it to age 95. What a great run.

EDIT: Trailer wouldn't stick. Got it now.

#240 jetophile, Mar 6, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2019