Game #1 negatives, and positives....

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by tbruner12, Sep 10, 2017.

1. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

Negatives first.....
    Our O-line needs major help.
    McClown was under pressure on every snap, and the offense couldn't generate any sort of running game. There isn't any QB on the planet that can help this team until this is addressed.
    Begging for a QB in round one will not help this team.
    Matt Forte is done, stick a fork in him. He looked like he had no interest running the ball. Very hesitant, but again this line wouldn't help any Back.
    Our defense sucks nuts.
    Our scheme is stupid as hell considering our personnel.
    Who is Muhammed Wilkerson again? Total no show today. Shouldn't have paid this guy the big bucks, he appears to be coasting. In hind sight, maybe we should have let him walk, kept Richardson. Williams is the only Line player, and we can look forward to lots of teams running it down our throats.
    Our LB corp is quick but very slow to the ball. Hopefully Coach Greene's influence will show eventually.
    Our secondary has a ton of work to do.
    Coach Bowles still doesn't have a damn clue.
    Positives....
    Catanzaro looked good, for what that's worth.
    McClown could teach Petty how to stay alive behind our Swiss cheese line. Lots of quick short plays, but it had to be against Buffalo's front. He stayed alive for one game.
    Our young Wideouts showed some promise.
    After the way this team played, we are a lock for a top 3 pick.
    That's about all the good, bad, and ugly for our first game.
    Can't wait to see how we respond to a west coast trip to Oakland.

Wahoo likes this.
  2. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

Will Tye looks like he can be the most productive TE we've had in years.

boozer32 and tbruner12 like this.
  3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

26 catches for around 250 yards in 2015 and 2016 combined for our tightends. He needs 1.4 catches for around 8.5 yards per game to eclipse our two year tightend production for 2017 and 2018.

chris5533 and boozer32 like this.
  4. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

Watched the recorded game:
    Positives:
    Josh Martin: Made a good behind LOS tackle and had a nice pass rush up the middle. Looks quick. Didnt expect him to be a factor but he was.
    Kony Ealy: Was disruptive early and showed a motor. Decent for being a late waiver wire add.
    McCown: I thought he was competent. With a better defense and a better coach he could have won. But the Jets need to play much better defense if they plan to start a QB who is limited by age and playing conservative. Case in point...There was a 3rd and 2 in Bills territory in the first half where McCown scrambled left and had a shot to get the 1st down and extend the drive. A faster more risk averse QB (ie younger) would have gotten the 1st down. McCown threw it away and they had to punt. Missed a good chance to score. In the second half he had a dump off to Powell on a right side scramble. It was a successful play, but McCown had a WR breaking up the field free behind Powell along the right sideline. It could've been a TD with a QB with more arm and moxie. McCown is good for what he brings and who he is, but if you're going to play horrible defense you may as well just play Petty or Hack.
    Kearse: Made a few good catches and 1st down conversions and contributes.
    Stewart: Kid is athletic and can play. That goaline leap to the pylon was fun to watch. A better thrown ball and he would have had his first TD.

Negatives
    Most of the defensive issues have been highlighted. It's incredibly frustrating to see a defense loaded with first round draft picks look like garbage.
    Skrine: He just isnt a very good CB. On a 3rd and long he gave up a big gain on a short pass up the middle because he halfass tried to go for the ball and let the receiver free to run for additional yards.
    Forte: Dude is done. You know if he is in the backfield you dont need to protect the sidelines because he doesnt have the speed to get around the edge. Just stack the box...
    Wilkerson: I hoped a year removed from his broken leg, and all the press and fans questioning his effort would have lit a fire. Guess not...
    Todd Blowes (thanks c-man..) The Jets had a chance to steal this game. But that 2 point conversion attempt and 4th and 8 punt with 4mins remaining were absolutely crushing. Mind-numbingly stupid decisions. Nothing will make a team give up and mail it in sooner than a HC who makes bad decisions over and over again. Talk about giving the Jets the worst chance to win. And I dont think its some plan to tank because he has been doing it for years. What do you do with a Coach or Player who makes the same mistakes over and over?

To be determined:
    OL: Not sure if the OL is horrible or the gameplan and limitatons of the skill guys makes them look bad. They didnt give up many sacks, but McCown was pressured particularly early. RB's had no holes and the OL had no push. But a team with no real RB homerun threat nor a WR/QB who can take the top off a defense tends to encourage overloading the blitz and stacking the box.

JetDan, tbruner12 and grkmanga31 like this.
  5. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I'm afraid Bowles makes the team and the GM look worse than they are.

MJK, chris5533 and The Dark Knight like this.
  6. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Overall our offensive line isn't going to scare anybody but I believe our starting guard tandem of Carpenter and Winters is pretty good. The push they made at the goal line cleared out some very talented defensive lineman from Buffalo allowing us to get the ball into the end zone. I am pretty sure the rest of our line is garbage but I think we have two pieces to build around.

SOJAZ and PulseJet like this.
  7. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

Best tight end in years ... yea that isn't hard to do as we avg 10 catches per year in total :)

Glad our kicker can kick because its all we will be doing ...

Josh Martin was boss out there today !

I gotta agree with the above posters Skrine is trash ... Wilk got his money ... Forte is DONE

TB is clueless

Did I really take off work for this ... oh the life

boozer32 likes this.
  8. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Positives- Catanzaro, Josh Martin, Leonard Williams, Kearse, Burris
    Medicore- McClown (3 ints, counting the 2 pt conversion) Edwards, Adams, Tye, Tomlinson, Raymond, Powell
    Negatives- Robbie Anderson, Forte, Bowles, Skrine
    Horrendous- Darron Lee, Demario Davis, Run blocking, run defense

Terrible LBing, oline can't open holes for running game, too many stupid penalties, fumbled PR, 29 yard punt, no contain on defense Lee and Davis always chasing, Bilal Powell needs the ball more, Robbie Andersonn- one trick pony, poor coaching- what a moron

Will-I-Am-Not likes this.
  9. NY Jets68

NY Jets68 Well-Known Member

The good news is we're tied for last with the pats...:confused:

10. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

It wasn't a bad performance, it was an average display from players with below-average talent. I've seen many worse Jets losses. McCown looked fairly competent back there, Fitz pick-six aside.

Two main negatives for me were Lee and M-Slob. McCoy used his experience to get an equally-poor Buffalo over the line but, unfortunately, Wilkerson wasn't exactly leading by example for us.

westiedog1 likes this.
  11. zace

zace Well-Known Member

He didn't miss tackles and not at the end. In fact, it was a well called game in offense and defense. The problem was the talent. Other than that 4 and 8 punt, Bowels didn't do too bad. Nothing great, but a good game by coaching staff

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

12. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I see our 86 million dollar man picked up right where he left off last year, 2 tackles and no sacks...what an awesome gm we have.

tbruner12 likes this.
  13. barkus

barkus Well-Known Member

Shell played a decent game, only allowed one pressure.

Wilkerson looks as lazy as ever. He will either be outright released or have take a major pay cut at end of the season.

tbruner12 and joe like this.
  14. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Imagine how atrocious the Jets'll be against a marginally decent team. That wasn't exactly the Steel Curtain out there.

stinkyB, ajax, tbruner12 and 3 others like this.
  15. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Apparently Shell graded out as the best Jets o-lineman yesterday with a 80.1 grade per Pro Football Focus.

tbruner12 likes this.
  16. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Wilkerson graded out 79.3 overall grade, so he was by all accounts, VERY GOOD yesterday so suck it haters...

17. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

He's stout versus the run, but I need to see him generate some pressure, or get a sack. He was a force in 2015.

18. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Darron Lee was horrendous

19. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

I skipped the game and went to see IT with my son. The movie was great, but it sounds like the better horror show was the game.

Wah likes this.
  20. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

So far I've read that Shell had the best game, Carpenter and Winters are good guards. So why'd we run for 38 yards on 13 carries if 3/5 of the offensive line had good games?

Wilkerson sucks.